Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: Best Beginner's Bike?
Kawasaki EX 250 "Ninja" 47 12.50%
Suzuki DRZ-250 Dual Purpose 21 5.59%
Kawasaki EX 500 "Ninja" 44 11.70%
Suzuki SV-650 / 650S 51 13.56%
Ducati Monster 620 24 6.38%
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie 90 23.94%
BMW F-650CS 25 6.65%
Large Displacement Scooters 1 0.27%
Small Displacement Scooters 2 0.53%
600 Supersports (R6, ZX-6R, CBR, GSX-R, etc...) 6 1.60%
Honda Rebel 250 42 11.17%
Harley Davidson 883 23 6.12%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Missing Link

Uhhhhh Sean............

........where is the effin link to the story?
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Missing Link

Uhh Sean, my compatriot is right. So far my feedback is that you have provided extremely limited coverage and no pictures. I already know where the MG factory is located, so the review looks a little thin.

PLEASE GET RID OF THE DUMB ASS "SMACK BACK," I am beginning to think this site is run by idiots. Fix this or I will personally drain the blood from the necks of each of your staff members except JohnnieB who I am certain is far too intelligent to have cooperated in you addiction to Eubonics.

Vlad Tepisch

Vampire Immortal, famous ruler of Transylvania

and registered psychotic in three states.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
dardas
Founding Member

Vlad Tepisch wrote:

"Vampire Immortal, famous ruler of Transylvania

and registered psychotic in three states.
"

You forgot to add"President of the Star Trek fan club"

Nerd!
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi Breva Reader Feedback

Wow, that was the finest review in the history of moto journalism. BTW the Emperor looks great in his new clothes too. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
theDuke
Founding Member

The bike looks nice in pictures and indeed sounds like a nice "beginner" bike. I've been riding for about 15 years, but have recently been looking at some light-weight fun bikes to ride around. I've been considering the Monster 620ie, the SV650 and the Triumph Bonneville. I should add the Breva to my list of bikes to try out.

The story mentions that the Italian price for the Breva undercuts the Monster, but I've read on some of the M-G boards that the U.S. price will be around $7,500... about $500 more than the Monster 620ie (with glossy paint). Of course, it looks to be a more comfortable bike and more capable than the Monster for taking longer trips or carrying a passenger. Then again, it's been a long time since Moto Guzzis have sold for MSRP in the States. I recently found a dealer selling left-over 2002 California Stones for around $7k.

Is there any official word on the U.S. MSRP for the Breva?

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
rsheidler
Founding Member

Ahhh.......

.......Much better!

Nice write-up of what sounds like a really nice bike. I could almost see one in my garage.

Regards

Bob
Old 03-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

My thoughs exactly. My teenage daughter has been nagging me for a 620 Monster, but I will have to show her this one as well. She is just 5" tall, but doesn't want a cruiser-style bike so the choices are a bit limited. Actually, I was thinking that one for myself would be nice.

Bob
Old 03-15-2003, 03:53 PM   #8
Captain_1
Founding Member

The Breva is a welcome "breath of fresh air" -- especially for Guzzi's shrinking North American dealer body. This will finally give them something they can actually sell at a competitive price point. While I am a guzzi fan and owner, I would take a Monster 620 over the baby goose. I had one of the first M600s and enjoyed it IMMENSELY -- after pipes, jets, sargent seat, etc. I'm waiting for the new guzzi customs rumored for '05.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
jibosch
Registered Member

While this Review does make this MG sound like an Excellent Beginners-Bike, or an all-around Commuter... I wonder if the Definition of a Beginner-Bike should not also consider Repairability, and ease of finding Parts. If this bike is ever dropped on its Cylinder or Tank, it is going to cost a pretty-penny, and may take a while to get the Parts. I am not sure that this is the type of 'Introduction' to Motorcycling that a prospective Owner should have! I applaud Moto Guzzi for trying to broaden its market, but I am not sure that it should be done on the Shoulders, and Wallet, of the un-initiated!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:54 PM   #10
billfowler
Founding Member

Seems like it has had the details nicely upgraded from the old 750, itself based on the V50, and hopefully to a modern standard of reliability - this kind of pleasant motorcycle all too rare in the modern world. However, you can see that it is obviously a makeover rather than fundamentally new design - the mass is up on the original V50 (360lbs I think) and a frame redesign could have got it much closer to 300lbs than 400lbs, using the bulk of the motor as the main element. The BMW 650 similarly way overweight for a single. That lower mass would've made it even more fun on the road. If the jap's can make 350lb 600's...
billfowler is offline   Reply With Quote