Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: Best Beginner's Bike?
Kawasaki EX 250 "Ninja" 47 12.50%
Suzuki DRZ-250 Dual Purpose 21 5.59%
Kawasaki EX 500 "Ninja" 44 11.70%
Suzuki SV-650 / 650S 51 13.56%
Ducati Monster 620 24 6.38%
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie 90 23.94%
BMW F-650CS 25 6.65%
Large Displacement Scooters 1 0.27%
Small Displacement Scooters 2 0.53%
600 Supersports (R6, ZX-6R, CBR, GSX-R, etc...) 6 1.60%
Honda Rebel 250 42 11.17%
Harley Davidson 883 23 6.12%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2003, 07:01 PM   #21
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi Breva Reader Feedback

I put about 9K on my Monster (99 M900) that I bought with about 4K miles on it, so I went through 2 valve-adjusts. The valve-adjust services aren't cheap, but for a 2-valver with no bodywork, it's tolerable - as long as you're not putting in heavy mileage per year on the bike. Of course, this is all opinion on what's tolerable or not...

As for other maintenance costs and regular upkeep items (oils, filters, plugs, etc.) - it's all pretty much on par with all of the other bikes I've owned.

As far as parts availability, I think it's all relative - I can't seem to ever find the part I'm looking for in stock, whether it's for a Japanese bike or an Italian one. Parts seem to come in, in about the same timeframe though.

As far as reliability, I've never had any issues with the Monster. I even had an idiot friend of mine accidentally fill up the tank with diesel and then run the bike until it completely crapped out. I drained the tank and hoses, replaced the plugs and she ran fine - suppose that's a pretty good testament to the 'ol Pantah based motor line...

v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2003, 09:38 PM   #22
SpongeBOB
Founding Member

Looks good... but is it a same frame as the good old V50s with plastic covers?

It's a 2 valves per cylinder, right? no more nightmare of falling valves of 4 valved Lario, I hope...

How often does it need valve adjustments?
SpongeBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:31 AM   #23
SRMark
Founding Member

I've been riding for 35 years (I started very early - be kind) and really like this bike. So much for the starter-bike image. It looks like an honest-to-god motorcycle, I rarely ride faster than 80, the price is ok and I won't see one on every corner. Well done Gootsie. BTW, red ink usually shows up on an Income Statement. Hopefully Guzzi's balance sheet did not reflect a negative equity position.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:03 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Just take the windshield off the Miata and give that to her. It's safer that way.

If you could make it stop pouring here I could actually ride the Geezer glide with the new goodies.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:19 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

It's not hard to see that the efforts of the staff at Marabese Design--the studio that handled the styling--headed in a very different direction than the creators of the BMW SC650.

And a good thing too. No need for more than one bike that looks like the Alien preparing to take off Yaphet Koto's head.

Maybe if these fly MG will bring in one with more scoot; it seems a tad underpowered for my uses. We need more choices in shaft driven naked bikes.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:34 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think the dealers are trying to bluff their way into selling at high prices. H-D has seriously increased its capacity to produce bikes. The dealers have plenty to sell.

Heck they've even got tv commercials for the VRod now.

If the 883r is what you want go talk to the salesperson and then tell them you are going to shop for a better price. It's about damn time H-D salesmen actually had to "sell" something. They've been order-takers for too long-probably have lost their skills.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 05:13 AM   #27
Anton_1
Founding Member

Reliability and maintenance on the newer 2-valve twins are no longer issues. Older Ducs do need a lot of love but Ducati seems to have raised their production standards in the late 90's. I have 12K on a 2000 M750, the only problem was the aftermarket aluminum sprocket came apart in the Nevada desert. Other than that, my local Ducati shop charges $300 for valve ajustment and carb tune and I spent $50 on new cam belts, needed every 12K.
Anton_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:22 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm not sure Moto Guzzi should try to get into the "beginner bike" thing. Unless this one is a stone bargain that someone couldn't pass up, they WILL pass it up. There aren't enough Guzzi dealers around to have a name that readily comes to mind when thinking of getting into motorcycling. They should have made this one a 1000 or even 1200cc and go for the quirky/sporty crowd. Might sell in Europe, but doubt will sell well here.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #29
F451
Founding Member

$7 to $7.5K for a beginner's bike? Say what? Moto Guzzi is old tech that occasionally gets massaged, repackaged and resold as something anew. So, hey, I'm a beginner and you're asking to me buy into a small dealer base (U.S.) and most of these (not all) have no idea what they're selling. Parts are a p-i-a. You can find a good MG mechanic, and there are some great ones, but finding them is a p-i-a. Why didn't Moto Guzzi just relegate themselves to the history books and archives where they can be fondly remembered? Love the older Guzzi's, but they are simply too far behind in today's world market to compete any longer. If you're a beginner, purchase a Japanese bike that's reliable, can be ridden twenty years from now even after you've moved onto larger rides, and dusted off to give to your kids (and the bloody thing will still probably start on the first try).
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:54 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, I hate to ever say anything in defense of a salesman but:

It's not surprising that they've forgotten how to sell. You would too if you'd spent the last ten years having rubbies with more money than brains run up to you sticking wads of cash in your face and screaming, "Gimmee gimmee gimmee, I want one now, I'll pay anything!!"

You'd take their money without a thought, too. I sure would.