Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-03-2003, 09:56 AM   #141
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Maynard Hershon?

there can only be so many "maynards" in motorcycling. are you the city bike editor guy?
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #142
morriscm
Registered Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Z1000 Reader Feedback

I currently own a ZRX 1200 and previously owned a zx6r (so I have some recent Kawi experience - not to mention the KDX220 I off road with - the local Kawasaki dealer's a friend I ride with...).

Ignoring the pipes (I have to agree with the crowd that hates the z1000 pipes) this bike's motor is aimed toward the sport bike crowd while it ergonomics are aimed towards the geriatric set (myself, at 50 yrs old included - the zx6r didn't last long in my garage - too hard on knees, back, wrists, etc.)

After reviewing the dyno chart, I'm impressed by the horsepower, but don't think I'd like this bike for ordinary street riding (anything short of race track speed) as much as my ZRX. The ZRX beats the Z everywhere up to 8000 - after which the Z rules. Personally, I don't see 8000 rpm often in the street world and wouldn't benefit much from the extra horsepower above that.

All that being said, seems the only real shortcoming of the Z (to those looking for that high rpm rush) is in the suspension. Pipes are easy to change, suspension is a tougher proposition.

I'll shut up now. Just wanted to add another viewpoint.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:12 AM   #143
motoman_1
Founding Member

As a two time owner of RC51's, I honestly don't see how you think the RC might be attractive, and the Z is hard on your eyes.

The first comment my wife made upon seing the RC was "baby goldwing". They might win in the hands of Nicky, but I found them lard asses on the street. To each his own....
motoman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:43 AM   #144
twister299
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane splitting

John,

You talked about lane splitting like itÂ’s a good thing... I know it is legal in CA, but not in the whole country. I'm in the midst of Bike Week here in Central Florida and have seen three incidents of out of town rider almost getting squashed lane splitting. BTW I don't think it is legal in Florida. (it wasn't years ago when I left the law). Please remind people that while lane splitting is perfectly Ok in CA not every state allows it and especially in Florida Cagers are not expecting you coming up the middle.

BTW

Bike Week 2003 is finally drying out Wednesday thru Sunday looks good

twister299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #145
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Yeah, I suppose there's no accounting for taste. I'm sure it will be fine for me from a performance standpoint, however. I mean it's a bit heavy in relation to a GSXR or R1, but really...how light and fast does a streetbike have to be?
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 12:49 PM   #146
dbesto
Founding Member

After a Nighthawk and K75 I vowed I'd never buy a bike with only 5 speeds again. Then along comes the ZXR1200. How badly do you miss having a 6th gear overdrive?
dbesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:18 PM   #147
JohnnyBandito
Founding Member

Default Dig the pipes

The pipes are awesome! Without them, this bike would just look like every other UJM on the market. I like the look of 4 pipes on just about every bike that has them - certain 2-stroke 500's, MV Agusta, the old CB400F, etc. This is one of the few bikes that I WOULDN'T swap the pipes on.
JohnnyBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #148
drthompson65
Founding Member

You can get the Z1000 in Kawi racing Green but its a long swim to Europe... Because of the suspension (lack of there of) I'm thinking I'm going to order a ZRX. I just wish it still came in red..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:56 AM   #149
Auphliam
Founding Member

Don't like the pipes at all. Look like something my dad would have built when I was a kid to bolt onto my bycycle.

As for the weather. We are DYING here in Pennsylvania waiting for this winter to break. Just bought a new Victory before winter and I'm going absolutely freakin crazy waiting to ride.

Ray of hope though. Local weather says Friday is supposed to be mid 40s and partly sunny. That's good enough for me.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:58 PM   #150
ridinsince59
Founding Member

At least you're consistent! And we don't expect too much from MO these days, Johnny.
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote