Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-15-2003, 04:07 PM   #31
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Can I get an inline 4 scooter? no more twins please. Scooter vs bike comparo needed

When I saw this article I said, oh no not another scooter article. After I read it I said to myself hey if gas gets to $3.00 a gallon I might have to get one. Seriously, because I commute on a freeway where the power and agility of my Ninja has gotten me out of few jams, I don't think I would consider a scooter unless it was quick and agile. To that end I think a scooter vs bike comparo can settle this? MO should look at scooter or bikes that cost the same amount and compare them. Until Sean can prove to me that a scooter can do it I would spend my money on a used bike. Cause America is land of SUVs and you need acceleration, braking and agility to survive on the US freeways, roads and streets.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2003, 04:20 AM   #32
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Harley Scooters

I know of lots of Harleys that can achieve smooth, vibrationless 102 mph, downhill, drafting an SUV, with a tailwinid. Of course, these Harleys have been converted to scooters by placing them on the official unofficail Harley scooter kit........a trailer.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 05:55 AM   #33
FrankS1
Founding Member

Default Engine smoothness??

The test of the story extols the smoothness of the engine, and says it's a surprise that no counterbalance is used. The pictures show, among other things a 90 degree V Twin (OK, Ducati calls it an L twin). One of the reasons Ducati selected the layout, and that the Japanese copied it, is that an L twin has perfect primary and very good secondary balance. So could the number of cylinders have something to do with it?

Hey MO, why don't you tell your European staff writer to finish his story before he has so much Vino he can't count up to two? Or get the graphics people to quit airbrushing an extra cylinder into the engine, if that's what is going on. Or (almost impossible, I grant) have the site keepers quit studying the wheelie and girlie videos long enough to look at what you're posting.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #34
mitch420
Founding Member

Default Re: Piaggio Beverly Feedback

I guess Urapeens need bigger scooters so they can keep up on Italy's new 93mph roads.
mitch420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:44 AM   #35
yosef
Founding Member

Default Reader smoothness??

Hey Frank, why donÂ’t you read the whole story before flinging the mud?

It is quite clearly stated in the text that the twin engine is a prototype of an up and coming model. If we'll ever overlook a tiny detail as an "extra" cylinder then we really should shut this site up.

Thanks for the kind and well thought out words

Yossef

yosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:52 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Some things best left to the Europeans . . .

Lokks like we have a winner in the 2003 "Ugly American" contest.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:26 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Excellent well-reasoned argument and snappy comeback. I see you are a student of the Jesse Jackson School of Debate.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:42 AM   #38
David_White
Founding Member

That feeling of a well framed and suspended tool should be taut, not taught.
David_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #39
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

This one looks nice, but I like the Aprilia Scarabeo 500 better. I saw the Beverly 200 at a local Vespa Boutique and the fit and finish looked way better than comparable scooters from Asia (IMO).
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 03:05 AM   #40
g-bear
Founding Member

I don't know what kind of Italian women you've known. I've spent the first 27 years of my life in Italy, and I would suggest you to try some for real...

Stereotypes are funny, they sure have some truth, but are also abused by media, movies, etc. It's up to us to find out where truth is. If we care...

g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote