Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #1
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: First Bike

A 1000 seems too big to start on. A 600 is as big as I would go, personally, for a first bike.

However, if you absolutely have your mind set on this bike, an FZR1000 is an excellent motorcycle. The only negative thing I've ever heard about them (and this is hearsay, not from personal experience) is that the stock fork seals wear out quickly. However, I think there is a way to permanently cure this. Try "The EXUP Brotherhood". They have a website that is dedicated to Yamaha sportbikes, and would know more about them than me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Straight from "The EXUP Brotherhood"

The EXUP valve can seize up after a few years (although mine hasn't yet on my '93 bike). More serious a problem is potential failure of the bearing behind the gearbox sprocket, partly caused by running a worn or over-tight drive chain (again no probs with mine yet!). Requires a full engine strip however to sort out!

Rear wheel bearings can be short-lived but are easily changed. Pitted head races tend to be common on older models, causing vague handling and reduced stability, but changing them is easy enough too.

Calliper corrosion affects all pre-'94 models and Yamaha UK even produce a leaflet about this. I have replaced ALL the brake callipers on mine with Harrison Billet units, but not everyone I know has changed theirs. Front discs also have a tendency to warp (which mine did and were immediately replaced with a pair of Brembo's). Worth changing to braided steel brake and clutch lines whilst you're are it (but be sure to use s/s nuts NOT anodized alloy ones which are prone to cracking).

Regular oil changes are a must, especially if the EXUP is used a lot in town as clutch wear contaminates the oil and can lead to blocked oilways. UK bikes were restricted to 125bhp, but the inlet rubbers can easily be trimmed to obtain a few extra horses (there must be hardly any EXUPs that AREN'T de-restricted!).

Also fork seals have a habit of giving up the ghost (although again I'm still waiting for this to happen on mine). You'll probably find that the general quality and standard of nuts and bolts on the FZR1000 isn't terribly good (a case of Yamaha spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar), so it's well worth replacing some of these for stainless steel or aluminium items.

The standard clutch basket is not particularly strong, and won't stand up well to constant wheelies or drag starts. Often this is replaced by a billet clutch basket, or the original unit can be modified for better performance.

Despite what I have said above, all-in-all you should find the EXUP to be a pretty damn fine, reliable motorcycle, which looks great, handles beautifully and goes like stink! You should also be able to pick up a very good one for a very reasonable price too, which is another reason to consider getting one. However the best reason on earth is that you will then belong to the world-wide EXUP Brotherhood, so what more do you want?!

Old 02-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
everiman
Registered Member

You could probably handle the FZR if you are a reasonably sane individual with a normal level of self preservation, AND you never exceed posted speed limits, never use anything more than 1/4 throttle, but neither will you develop your riding skills very quickly, unless you are one of those rare indiduals who become fighter pilots or pro basketball players. Somebody else said, get an SV650. Couldn't agree more.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #4
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Not only would I not recomend the FZR 1000 for a rider of your limited experience, I would dissuade you from this choice if your plans include long distance highway excursions as well. Get yourself something on the order of a Kawasake EX500. Not only will you find it more accommdating Your chances of remaing injury free will be greatly increased as well. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
jrpetruzzi
Founding Member

Please do your self a favor and check into insurance before you buy anything. Insurance is through the roof for most sportbikes.
jrpetruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

Do yourself a favor and get something tamer than an FZR1000, The best thing you can do would be to get nighthawk 750, or a ZR7S Kawasaki, or any number of more managable bikes, 1 year of riding and an MSF course is a good start, now build some experiance on a more casual bike, Then if you want you can get a full-on sportbike or cruiser or whatever genre you like. As far as maintainance history on a used bike, if the previous owner didn't take some kind of notes on oil changes and what-not, I'd wonder if he/she actually did them. Also chain/sprocket condition is a good indicater of overall condition, too loose, too tight[worse] or gunked up and rusty will tell you if the guy was on top of it or not.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:37 PM   #7
Labrat
Founding Member

Look at State Farm for insurance. I have full coverage on a 2000 zx9 and it's less than $300 a year. Bear in mind that I'm 33 with a clean driving record.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:59 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

My first bike was/is a 2001 ZX-6R Kawasaki. In retrospect, I would go and buy a used Suzuki SV650 or a Kawasaki EX500. Why used? Cost and you really won't know what kind of bike you really want until you get some experience. Why a small displacement bike? Insurance cost, tire cost and a less intimidating experience. I diffently would not go and buy a litter bike unless you have extreme restraint. Most of the time I practice restraint but there are times when the competivie juices are flowing and I ride over my head.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #9
v2-90
Founding Member

Couldn't agree more. Plus, he said he wants to commute in the city of Chicago with the bike - that big FZR is going to be a beast on the commuting side...