Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-06-2003, 07:12 AM   #31
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: First Bike

After a ten year absence of two wheels I went back on a KLR 650, using it for everything including commuting. In SF there is no finer bike than a thumper. 80mph is about your performance ceiling as it will go up to a ton but wont like it. So if traffic is flowing at 85 like it is on bay area freeways its a bit underpowered. Then again if you are a newbie 85 is more speed than you need. Around town you have great visibility being up so high along with a lightweight easy to ride bike that gets great gas mileage. Lastly if you drop it your not out $2-3k on plastic. Your out maybe $15 for a clutch or brake lever...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #32
12er
Founding Member

Past Maintenance and how heavy of hand the previous owner was.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:28 AM   #33
imported_g_k
Registered Member

I agree with the comments regarding a smaller bike, but you might widen your perspective a bit and try something like a ktm Duke II, assuming you're tall enough not to be bothered by the seat height. If you live in the city and aren't going to be taking trips, something like the Duke or a KLR650/DRZ400 might be a lot more enjoyable (all have been around for awhile, and should be available used). I wouldn't go for an early non-kickstart Duke, even though my first several bikes didn't have electric starters, I wouldn't suggest that to a new(ish) rider.

One more point - starting low and trading up gives you additional steps in the lusting-after process; if you buy a GSXR1000, you'll have nowhere else to go. You'd probably also kill yourself within a week or so.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:28 AM   #34
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

For the love of God, don't start on a fast bike. Not only will you proabaly crash, you will never be any good at riding.

Every good rider I have ever met started on a small bike. Every world champ started small. Every American world champ STILL practices on little XR100's.

Small bikes educate. Somebody mentioned a Hawk. Couldn't agree more. Fantastic bike.

Also, consider a cheapo dual sport dirt bike. You can even crash it for free.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:41 AM   #35
blackburd
Founding Member

You said that you have ridden the bike and that you feel comfortable with the weight and power. If the bike is in good condition, and priced right, buy it. Learn to exercise lots of restraint with your throttle hand until you gain experience. After a while, go back and take one of the advanced MSF classes. When you ride over your head, you can crash just as hard on a 500 as a 1000.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:08 PM   #36
LoxedWarrior
Founding Member

Did you take the MSF advance class? What did the class involve?
LoxedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 03:51 AM   #37
blackburd
Founding Member

Here is a link to the MSF web site.

MSF Experineced rider course
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:00 AM   #38
LoxedWarrior
Founding Member

Thanks
LoxedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:04 AM   #39
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Good point about dualsports

I agree wholeheartedly-a dual sport might just be the perfect commuter bike...fairly light, torquey, good ground clearance (for sailing over curbs and parked cars), cheap to insure, and not much plastic to break.

One point to mention though; on last year's annual road trip one of the guy's brother rode out to Denver (our starting point) from PA on his KLR650 with a metric TON of crap strapped to the bike. As long as the speed didn't climb over 80 mph that guy was right near the front of the pack-through twisties, rough pavement, whatever. Which just proves (to me, anyways) that the rider makes the biggest difference in performance
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:34 PM   #40
jjstrods
Founding Member

You owe me a new monitor as I spit all my coffee out my nose laughing my ass off at this post.

jjstrods is offline   Reply With Quote