Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-06-2003, 02:09 AM   #21
lifeliberty
Founding Member

Default Re: First Bike

I always thought this was a good article on used bikes. Most of you have probably already seen it. http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html#1
lifeliberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2003, 02:21 AM   #22
jrpetruzzi
Founding Member

Progressive quoted me $1200. per year with a $500. deductible. This was for a 2000 ZX11. I was 45 at the time. I ended up with Geico, $550.
jrpetruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:08 AM   #23
pnerenberg
Registered Member

I think the previous posters sum everything up pretty well. I am a new rider and I just bought a used 2000 SV650 for $3650 with only 4800 miles - so there are some really good deals to be had with newer bikes that may be better to start out on. However, you can also take the route of being extremely disciplined and only opening the bike up a bit at a time (something you should probably do with any bike at first). As long as you use this more scientific approach (sorry, I'm a physics major) to your riding and spare the bravado for when you know that your risks are absolutely minimal and you have enough experience to handle it, you should be *relatively* safe.

With that said, I felt completely comfortable within a couple weeks opening the SV650 up past 1/2 throttle (in 2nd gear or higher), despite my only experience being on 125s and 250s with MSF and a friend's fossilized Yamaha 550. From a learning point of view, I think a smaller-engined (650 ain't small) bike will help you develop some skills faster and allow you to be less timid and explore the limits a bit more easily. But after all is said and done, if you really do feel comfortable with the ride and power and don't think you'll be a jack ass (an immediate one at least) with a 1000cc bike, then go for it.

One more shameless plug: SV650s are dashiznit. (Ok, ok, so it's my first bike, I'm a little excited.)
pnerenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:19 AM   #24
LoxedWarrior
Founding Member

Thanks, this was really helpful.
LoxedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:20 AM   #25
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: ADVICE FROM MR. ALLCAPS

I'm still laughing.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:18 AM   #26
VFRider
Registered Member

I may be jaded, but I recommend a used VFR750/800. A great all around bike. Good power (95 rear wheel HP), good suspension, a comfortable compromise between sport and touring plus Honda reliability.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:33 AM   #27
LoxedWarrior
Founding Member

I was checking out the 2000 SV650 and found this. It may be helpful for you to read.

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a...all/00/009.htm

Thanks for the help.
LoxedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:59 AM   #28
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: ADVICE FROM MR. ALLCAPS

Dammit, Gabe, you almost made me blow hot coffee out my nose!

You are on a roll lately, keep it up!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:06 AM   #29
rsheidler
Founding Member

LoxedWarrier:

I wouldn't typically recommend a FZR1000 for someone's first bike -- my usual recommendations are much like many others sere have offered -- something along the lines of a GS500 or Ninja 500, 650 Hawk, etc.

However, I think something like the FRZ is probably a better choice than one of the hyper-sports 600s. Sucker has a lot of power, but with a pretty user-friendly power band, so if you are able to exercise appropriate restraint (only you can determine if that is the case), and that is the bike you want, I say, go for it.

I cannot speak personaly to the reliability issues for that particular bike. Generally, the quality of past maintenance is the biggest factor in a used bike.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:07 AM   #30
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

And a 15-year old used Honda Hawk is about as expensive as a 3-year old used SV650, with the SV being the better bike... And considering how much people love those Hawk GT's, it'll probably have 70K miles on it

I love the Hawk, but the SV is the new and improved version

Brad
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote