Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-27-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 ZX-6R Track Test Reader Feedback

Allthough I have little disire to own a 600 class sport bike ( or any other sport bike for that matter ). I do appreciate the technological advances brought about by the oneupmanship of the Japanese manufacturers. Herein lies the rub with the ZX-6R.

Of course any of the bikes that currently make up this class could be made quicker with added displacement. This type of development tends to stifle the more esoteric advances that have made this class so interesting to watch. Yes I know that Kawasaki is offering a true 600 for racing purposes, but that is what makes the 636 so silly. Why increase displacement by a mere 5%? Certainly a 650 or 700 would really spice things up, and maybe start a new class of sport motorcycle. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
KPaulCook
Banned

"Wait,

what am I talking about? I'm comparing a 600-class Supersport to the king of open class v-twins. This is twisted. "
Technology can be a beautiful thing

"Is a 636cc bike moral and "fair" to use in our upcoming 600cc shootout?" Yes cause I think Honda and Yamaha will have other attributes that will make up for the lack of displacement. But better yet include a Kawa 600 as well.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
mwc
Founding Member

I don't think you should include the ZX-6R in the shootout simply because it isn't a 600, pure and simple, regardless of the rules for most 600 events.

IMHO, Kawasaki should have kept the 2002 ZX-6R as the ZX-6, and called the ZX-6RR the ZX-6R for consistency's sake. Their marketing group's current strategy with the ZX-6R and ZX-6RR will simply confuse their customers.
mwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Benji_2
Founding Member

In a way I think you should only compare the ZX-6RR to the other 600s. However, look at the open class. The 929, 954, the Gixxer at 988 and the Yamaha at 999 (I think, I can't remember for sure). No one really whined about the differences in displacement in this class. Of course, if you look to the AMA, the FX class allows for a variety of displacement sizes. The bottom line, I think, is that most people will consider the 636 to be in the 600 class (which is probably why they didn't make it a 700) and will comparison shop as such.
Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:05 PM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

Re: "Is a 636cc bike moral and "fair" to use in our upcoming 600cc shootout?"

Morality has to do with intention; yours is unknown to me.

Fair, it's not. Especially when the 600RR is available without the extra displacement. Since the 600RR is a Supersport homologation bike, it should be tested against competitive 600cc class Supersport homologation bikes. That's the closest you can get to comparing apples with apples in the bike testing business.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:44 PM   #6
CONMAN
Founding Member

I think that if you want to have a kawasaki in the 600 shoot out, it will have to be the ZX-6R and not the ZX-6RR since they are going to be pretty much impossible to get. The only stipulation I think should be imposed on the ZX-6R is that its speed performance should not be a factor in ruling a shootout champ. Its obvious that it will be faster than the others since it has extra 36cc's. The points of determing a winner of the shoot out should be all the points that is usually used such as driveablity, handling, etc. What ever you guys decide, I knonw I can't wait until you have it.
CONMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
Nplateau
Founding Member

The 6R should absolutely be included in the 600 shootout. Sure it has an extra 36cc, but it has an intended competition (and I mean SALES not racing) group of the F4I, 600 RR, R6, and Triumph's new Daytona 600. And the craziest thing, is that the 6R is cheaper than all of the Competition's offerings.

As a rider and a consumer, I'm interested in bang for the buck. And Kawi is giving us exactly that. Being a Honda fan, this kills me, especially considering that the new CBR 600 RR, though displacing the normative 599cc, will cost and additional $600 over the price of the 636.

The racers can do what they want, I just want the most bike my money can buy.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
gooseman_1
Founding Member

Yup! With inverted forks, radial brakes, and 36 extra CCs it's a steal at 8 Gs. Especially when compared to the competition's prices and respective hardware. 15,500 RPM even! Go Kawi!!
gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:56 PM   #9
badsac
Founding Member

Anybody who says that the ZX-6R shouldn't be included in the 600cc shootout are damn loons. Either that or they are just fanboi's worried that it will spank the bike from their favorite maker.

As Nplateau has already pointed out, when Joe Public goes out to buy a 600cc sportsbike to go scratching on his favourite roads with his mates he's not going to pass over the ZX-6R because it has 37cc more capacity. Get real.

If MO doesn't included this bike in their shootout then they are doing their readership and Kawasaki a great disservice. Many people read this site to help them decide on their future motorcycle purchases. To not include the 6R is depriving these people of pertinant info, and MO would be less because of it.

Good on Kawasaki for making the smart decision to bump out their capacity a few cc's for the good of the street rider or trackday scratcher. If the other makers followed Kawasaki's lead then the class would be all the better.

BTW, as someone above asked, the reason Kawasaki didn't bump the capacity out any further was because the extra 37 cc's was all they could get without a major redesign of the motor. So they just increased the bore for hardly any expense at all. Smart I call it.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 02:01 AM   #10
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

You should include the bike. However, as mentioned above, it's added displacement should be taken into consideration when evaluating all of the bikes. I'd imagine that there will be other areas where the other manufacturers excel. If the Kawi is top on power/acceleration, then all we need to do is look to 2nd place for the fastest "pure" 600.

IMHO, it is not correct to draw an analogy to the liter class bikes when discussing the Kawi's displacement advantage. In a perfect world, a "liter" bike is 1000cc. All of the bikes in this class are at or under that level. If there were a bike with say 1036cc, then that machine would be in excess of the displacement for a liter class bike. All of the manufacturers who produce sub-1000 machines do so out of choice, but no one is over.

Regardless, I definitely think that if anything, the added displacement of the 636 will make it more attractive on the sales floor...I can get 6% more motor for less money than the competition? Sold!
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote