Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-28-2003, 02:23 PM   #31
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 ZX-6R Track Test Reader Feedback

"I want all the nitty gritty on all the bikes so I can figure out what I'll be riding to Seca this year."

You should be riding a Yamaha Seca or Seca II.

Anything else is blasphemy. would you ride a 500 Ninja to to a Honda Wing Ding?

I think not!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #32
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Sean

Might have something to do with being many years younger than some of us old farts

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:25 PM   #33
rsheidler
Founding Member

First, Sean, great review. Getting to log lots of laps at Streets of Willow should partially compensate for missing out on the test at Parump (those are my 2 favorite tracks, by the way).

As to whether it is fair, who gives a damn? In the marketplace, it competes with the R6, CBR and gixxer. I assume it falls in the same insurance classification. Hell, like is pointed out, in most race organizations except FIM and AMA the race against each other. Using the 600 instead makes little sense because most of us will never have a chance to buy one (and from other tests, shouldn't buy one, unless we plan to race it).

I just wish I could get the 636 in the proper green paint scheme.

Bob
Old 01-29-2003, 02:06 AM   #34
jmeyn
Founding Member

He said the brakes were great; the stock brake lines were inadequate. After a period of heavy braking they expand a bit and stay expanded. Kevlar or braided lines don't expand as much and snap back to their original size after use. They feel much less squishy (technical term meaning progressive) than the stock lines. Pro: they retain their original size and operate more crisply. Con: they brake more suddenly. Be careful.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:32 AM   #35
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

And if I remember correctly, for the most part, the 900 engine always held its own against the larger displacement engines. Gets you thinking about what Kawi could have done if they had chosen to add the 100cc.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:56 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Just add the 100cc yourself with a Muzzy kit. I am thinking of idoing it. With kit and pipe, stock cams and carbs = 160rwhp. If Kawi got half that increase from stock, it would be right with the GSXR1000.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:29 AM   #37
rsheidler
Founding Member

Ever since I started using braided stainless covered aircraft-type lines on my racebikes in the late 70s, that has been one of the first modifications I have made to virtually every bike I have owned -- either the braided stainless or kevlar. Try em, you'll never go back. I have a hard time understanding why so many factories continue with brakelines made from recycled condoms.

Bob
Old 01-29-2003, 09:20 AM   #38
john
Founding Member

The thing is that traditional classes and the happening of where the 600's lie have everything to do with this.

The 600size is just barely on the threshold of having enough torque to be easily daily ridden without too much sacrifice down low. I think the 636 size, although a small increase, is just enough to make a difference and give it an advantage.

So why not make them bigger yuo ask? On a 600 everything is as light as possible. You start increasing that TOO much and the motor is to much for the chassis. Then you needed beefier chassis/suspension to handle the extra motor. You see where this is going, Think BMW M3. Never have a motor outperform its chassis, I am sure you are familiar with this being a BMW rider.

So, if you want a 355lb bike, that is about as much motor as you can put in it and keep it a 355lb bike.

I also think there are some insurance advantages....power a bit closer to that of a 750, while keeping the insurance costs down at 600 level.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #39
Van
Founding Member

The only thing that really matters here is the Mike Solis mentioned in this story is the same "Mike" who was just like any of us shlubs, ie, a posting regular here from way back in '98 and the "Best Of The Best" forums and later in the SV 650 forums...

Mike, now I really hate you.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:22 AM   #40
drthompson65
Founding Member

Well.. I'm calling my deal to find out what a red one is going to cost me....
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote