Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-28-2003, 06:44 AM   #21
damediggler
Registered Member

Default Re: 2003 ZX-6R Track Test Reader Feedback

Well, everyone should know by now the fastest bike on paper isn't always the fastest on the track. Not to mention most people don't ride on the track. If we did, we probably wouldn't read as much.....most are looking for a street ride first then a track bike. 36cc's so what!! MO should have a "MOtorcycle Madness Middleweight Shootout!!!" Just say the hell with it and review them all. R6, F4i, f4rr, 6r, 6rr, and the GSXR. I know it sounds like a lot of bikes but don't fret. All I need is 72 hrs notice and I can be there to take two off your hands. I want all the nitty gritty on all the bikes so I can figure out what I'll be riding to Seca this year. So hurry up!!!
damediggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2003, 07:42 AM   #22
Cyberj10
Founding Member

Amen to that!
Cyberj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:11 AM   #23
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

"There's no replacement for cubic displacement" (other than technology of course). I remember when 500's were considered middleweights and the Kawasaki 650 (as I recall had somewhere around 636cc's) had to compete against the 750's (did well). I believe the ZX6R will be judged against other middleweights and 750's and looks to be capable (Great, just what we need, another "crossover vehicle"!). The latest batch of middleweights seem to have really raised the bar. I have no doubt the new Honda will be worhty. "Competiton improves the breed" seems to have never been so true. Whether that it's on the track or in the boardrooms I think that riders are the winner.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:22 AM   #24
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Yamaha announces new R6....

LOL
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:46 AM   #25
mergenex
Founding Member

Default HERE HERE

I SECOND THIS!!!

come on guys, this kind of comaro would make up for a lot of lacking info lately. just funk it and test em ALL TTs and 749. all the 6s. i know its a lot of work. but my weekends are free. and i guess i missed yall. i was at the sunday track daz.
mergenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:10 AM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Proposed 600 Shootouts

Shootout for the Squids

Yamaha R6

Honda RR

Kawasaki ZX6R and RR

Suzuki GSXR 600

Ducati 749

Buell Firebolt

Triumph Daytona 600 when available

Also 600s for the real world shootout

Suzuki Katana 600

Honda CRB600F4i

Yamaha YZF600R

Kawasaki ZZR600

Triumph TT600

Buell Firebolt

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:13 AM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent point. 36cc is only a 6% advantage compared to the ZX-9 10% disadvantage.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:22 AM   #28
Haru
Founding Member

636 isn't fair?! does the EX500 face the SV650 in the market? Did the ZX-12R face the the Hayabusa? did the ZX-9R face the 1000s? So now kawasaki goes up by 5% in the 600 class and people start screaming about fairness?

and anyway, much more importantly, how is this even about being fair or not being fair? Does it say anywhere that a street bike of this physical size, weight, cost, intended for this purpose has to be 599cc?

Its quite simple. Those who feel that its unfair for a middleweight to be 636cc don't have to buy one. As far as whether its fair to include it in the comparison tests, the magazine has to answer this question: are you testing middle wieghts, or are you testing 599cc bikes? If its the former, include the 636. If its the latter, don't.

If it is the latter, however, I might also point out the real world relevancy of the test would be severely undermined, and I for the first time will have doubts about having subscribed to this e-mag.

I think the problem with the people whining about fairness is that they lose sight of the idea that the ultimate goal of a comparison test is to assist real world buyers in their decisions. These people are bench racers who are obsessed with the magazine comparison tests themselves, not the relevancy of the test to real buyers. Like looking at the sports page to see the rankings of the football team. Well, the fact is that comparison test rankings aren't the sports score and people who look at comparison tests as such need to ride more and obsess about the test scores less.

People who want to know whats the best 600cc class bike want you to include the 636. People who treat magazine comparisons as a spectator sport in itself want you to leave out the 636. So in the end, its about what MO thinks of itself. Are you testing bikes for real buyers, or are you doing it to make fodder for the rag racers?
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:18 PM   #29
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

it may be that there is nothing wrong with the brakes...he admitted that he has Boehm-esque proportions, and he's well over six feet. do the math:

1) the braking-power/weight ratio is less favorable, and

2) with his head sitting taller, the sensation of weight transferance on a shorter wheelbase will be more apparent to him

Now, if you are Petit Louis Rex, you may not notice any of that.

Hey, while you're at it, can you include a turbo ZR-7S in the shootout?
Old 01-28-2003, 01:21 PM   #30
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: HERE HERE

I know it would make up for a lot that's lacking on this site if *I* had a camaro.