Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Biker Boyz Review Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1536-biker-boyz-review-feedback.html)

KPaulCook 01-18-2003 04:02 PM

Re: HarleyBoyz coming soon to theater near you

LOL Good one

gforces 01-18-2003 07:00 PM

Take it easy Ara

I don't think anybody walked away from "Fast and Flirtatious" thinking that Import drag racers are Highway big-rig pirates.

People do have a good idear of the type of person doing insanely dangerous things with sportbikes--they are usually young, dumb, and full of c*m. They aren't middle-aged hip-hoppers out trying to build a reputation on the streets.

What this could do is create the image of hooliganism and irresponsibility among "bikers" for those that are stupid enough to believe what they see in a movie theater as true--and I'm not worried about those people making my two-wheeled life harder by writing Congress about their un-informed opinion about how we should live our lives.

I see street racers as nothing more than people trying to compensate for the fact that they can't race on a real track for some reason or another. That's why they drag race--no turning skills needed! It's a shame, because the track is the ONLY place to really feel what the machine you're sitting on can do.

I think Jean Frankenheimer (Grand Prix, Ronin) is the only hollywood director out there that understands how to translate the feeling of speed to the big screen. A movie telling the story of REAL motorcycle racers like Freddie Spencer or Nicky Hayden would not only be more entertaining, but also more beneficial to the motorcycling community and our public image.

But I'm not going to be worried about being branded as a low-life, because of a movie about gangsters on bikes. What did the movie Hell's Angels do for us? nothing. It's the people out there like the Highwayman that's trying to portray that image that's doing the dis-service. I don't care how tough you think you look--to me, fringe doesn't make anything look tough, but that's just my opinion

Ara_Tidwell 01-18-2003 08:28 PM

Re: Take it easy Ara

Everyone drives cars, so for the average driver/cop it is easier to realize reality after leaving a car movie like "The Slow and Delirious..."

Most people are cool with it, but I find that there is a siginifigant problem with people and police assiciating groups of sportbikers with "gangs" or street racing. 25K miles on the street last year... I raced all of one person on the street.

I know I don't do my fair share to improve the sportbiker "image", but I try to be as reasonable as possible when in the city or around moderate traffic. But this movie, which millions of people are going to go see.... It just can't do anything but bad to the perception of sportbikers on the average person.

Hey on the flipside... I predict lots of cheap salvage title race bikes flowing in :-)

-Ara

"doing wheelies since ten years old"

dp5 01-18-2003 09:08 PM

what amazes me is people spend $$$$$ to do this crap

i bet you it cost a couple mil to make that piece of, uhm, art... and someone not only thought it was a good idea but actually put up the cash! i have lots of much better ideas, but haven't been able to find even $500K to finance an innovative engine project. this is really a sad comment on the world as i know it :(

The_Aerodynamic_Head 01-18-2003 11:35 PM

I'm sorry, who?!

Lawrence Fishburne?!

I'll just take the check please. No desert for me. Vin Diesel. Sure. Fishburne...Hmmm, sorry, the judges say that's not the answer they were looking for.

I mean, Fishburne is great (seen The Matrix?), but who cast this film? They might as well have put Forrest Whitaker in there, I mean, he was Ghost Dog, right?!

Buzglyd 01-19-2003 03:16 AM

Re: HarleyBoyz coming soon to theater near you

That's why all the female members quit.

Chapped lips...............

longride 01-19-2003 03:56 AM

Re: In the words of Tyler, you're not your f#*%ing khakis.

You must have me confused with another longride. Challenging people's delusional rantings is my job in life. If anyone posts an opinion on anything without resorting to name-calling or group-speak, I have no problem with that. If someone feels posing insults, lies, or truly petty complaints on the site is fun, well I'm always happy to step up to the plate and have a go at 'em. I feel the ultimate insult, is everyones intelligence if these posts go unchallenged. Growing up in an era where "politcal correctness" didn't exist ,and people actually challenged and discussed topics instead of accepting BS, gives me a posting style that is unique. Post here and get into the give and take. That's what the board is all about.

longride 01-19-2003 04:00 AM

Re: Biker Boyz Review Feedback

This movie might be a sportbike equivalent of "Stone Cold". It's one of my favorite movies to laugh at. They needed Brian Bosworth for this one too so everyone would be sure is was a comedy.

tumbler 01-19-2003 04:56 AM

So you have the absolute say-so for what this board is about? Was there an extensive interview process for the position, is it appointed, or were you called to the mountain top and given stone tablets laying forth the commandments for which all MOridians will use the message boards? Oh and how 's the dental and medical with that?

Now having gotten all of the sarcasm out of the way maybe you could help me with what I like to use the message board for, motorcycle info:

1. I want a new bike that wont kill me on insurance and has more modern compenents that my EX 500 (Dual front disk brakes, 120/160 radial tires). I know an sv650 is the ideal choice, but all of the aftermarket fairing that I've seen for it make it look like a 70's left over. I like the looks of a bandit 600, but I have reservations about a, air/oil cooled bike lasting in the Houston heat year after year.

2. What will be the consquences of shoeing on radial tires 110/150 to my bike that is supposed to biasply 110/130. I've read that track riders are doing it without problems.

In all sincereity I know that YOU know your stuff and besides a very few others I think everyone else knows it too.

longride 01-19-2003 05:36 AM

Good questions! For #1 the choices are limited with small bikes that actually perform. 600's and below you either get a racer rep or a stuck-in-the-80's leftover. The SV650 IS probably the best thing going out there. Until the other mfgs. start noticing the need for nice bikes in this displacement catagory. I would say to test ride everything you can and see what fits best.

With #2 anyone can put a wider profile tire on, as long as the swingarm and fork clearance is ok. The most likely consequence, will be a slower turning bike. Smaller profile tires will tend to fall in easier and the wider will need more effort to get it over. There may be other handling quirks associated with a taller profile tire which will change the chassis geometry slightly. Since all tires are different, there may be better or worse choices.

My only test MO gave me was to sit in a room and converse with KPaul for 24 hrs. They figured if I could survie that, I could survive anything.