Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-20-2003, 06:28 AM   #21
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Yossef And The Dolomites Feedback

I've ridden some of the best roads in Utah and California and I agree with you, you should try the roads in my home state of Arizona, they are some of the best also, oh well I guess I'm going riding again tomorrow.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2003, 07:14 AM   #22
acitrezza
Founding Member

Despite having spent the last 20+ years of my life in New York, I still have vivid memories of riding (a quasi-pedaling affair, actually, especially uphill) my Guzzi "Dingo Cross" 50cc moped -- and later a Morini "Corsaro" 125cc -- up from my home in Milan (near Piazza Amendola, 150 yards away from the "Fiera" where the Motorcycle show was -- and still is -- held) to Lecco, pass by Mandello in front of the Guzzi factory, and up to Chiavenna. No Autostrada along the lake at the time, only a narrow two-lane strecth of twisties. The Morini happend to be like it all way through Sondalo, Sondrio, and into Bormio (where I learned how to ski). Reaching it seemd to me to have matched Amundsen's skills in reaching the South Pole.

Yossef, your article is like a time machine. I can still re-live the smells, the chills, the colors, the thrills, as you describe these roads. I have often asked myself whether it was time to go back to Europe with my bike (an ST4) and taste again the hairpins with a more mature brain. But reading about the changes (motorbikes up the Stelvio?! Only Coppi and Bartali's two-wheels (with pedals) used to climb up there!). It was a conquest for a small 125cc to reach the 10000ft summit of the pass.. Nah! Better leave them as memories and read about them. Thanks! Next time, try the "bresaola" with your "pizzoccheri" and ride the Lecco-Bellagio-Como triangle mid-week in the fall.
acitrezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:00 AM   #23
yosef
Founding Member

Ciao Aci!

Well, you certainly deserve a pat on your shoulder for reaching Bormio on a four stroke 125! God, it must have been hours on hours at what? 55mph with a tail wind? The highwayman would be proud of you!

That triangle you mention is indeed my usual "quick test" area. Especially the road from Asso to Nesso.

BTW, any chance that the Corsaro is still somewhere in Milan, neglected and in need of tender loving care?

Yossef

yosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:25 AM   #24
Murnaghan
Founding Member

Great article. Going through one of the tunnels on the superstrada north of Lecco you passed behind the Guzzi factory at Mandello del Lario.

Also highly recommended is going south from Milan to the northern Apennines. The Passo di Cisa is a great road going up from Fornovo di Taro. As there is an autostrda doing the route the old road generally has little traffic and no Germans!

For those of you dreaming of the Italian sunshine it's winter here too, with all the joys of freezing temperatures, ice, snow, heavy rain and flooding!

Jon

Monza, Milano.
Murnaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:42 AM   #25
acitrezza
Founding Member

Ciao Yossef:

The red-and-silver "Corsaro" was actually a capable little machine (though it seemed "huge" to me at the time, coming from the caughing 2-stroke "Dingo"). Top speed was an (optimistically for sure) indicated 130km/h. Yet, you are right: 80-90 km/h was the best I could keep up with, loaded by pizzoccheri and bresaola, and it was indeed hours upon hours of riding. But it was in 1969-70, which means that I was 17-18, and did not mind or even felt the pain.

The whereabouts of my Corsaro? Sold, alas! I wish we could just acquire new bikes without selling older rides. Like chunks of our lives falling into oblivium..."Peccato!"

Thanks again for this story...emotional for me...

Oh, yes! The "orrido" in Nesso... Let's stop here, too "Proustian" for confort...
acitrezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:57 AM   #26
yosef
Founding Member

Hi Jon

Small world, I happen to work in Monza, in via Borgazzi....

yossef
yosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:09 AM   #27
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Default Remember when the earth was green?

Green grass and clean ribbons of pavement...

Up in the New England area of the country we are in deep freeze with snow cover since November. Please more stories like this to get my moto fix until I can make it to Daytona.

Of ya Speed Channel tonight Two Wheel Tuesday!!!

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:20 AM   #28
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Wow! Cool!

Thanks, Josef, for the memories.

When I was working overseas, I spent a couple of summer vacations touring in just that area on my modified XT600. Why a dual-sport bike? In Italy, anyway, you can keep going up when the road ends. Great trail riding and exploring waaaaay up there!
Old 01-22-2003, 06:23 AM   #29
woper
Founding Member

He had been gone a week riding a bike... In Europe... He is greeted by his girlfriend and goes to bed with some TEA!?! I guess riding an Italian bike in Italy doesn't teach you italian. Great story... now I have a new dream vacation.
woper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:53 AM   #30
crankin500
Founding Member

Default C'mon

Open up your minds and ride something. 2 wheels, 3 wheels, 4 wheels, no wheels, pontoons... I don't care, I just want to see something about fun machines. Forget about all of the superior 2-wheel-only premadonnas.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote