Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-16-2003, 02:10 PM   #1
staff
Registered Member

Default Re: BMW K1200GT Reader Feedback

Before you'all starting flaming us, the "Hot Bavarian" leader refers to the heated grips and seat, so go easy fellas!
staff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

This is a gorgeous bike to look at in person. If I was going to buy any BMW, I think this would be the one. It fits taller guys well and all the adjustability is real nice. Yeah, the tank is small and it has a fwe quirks, but I could rack up some serious miles on this baby. Johnny, is the vibration as bad as you make it or are you just getting spoiled? Sean, is it bad?
Old 01-16-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
johnnyb
Founding Member

It's only bad if you don't like gratey vibration.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Hadji
Founding Member

Default What about break-in?

Is this going to be one of those things that go away after all of the parts wear in? A bike that is designed for 200,000+ miles might take longer than 2500 to get broken in. I am curious as to how many miles you get to ride a bike to get your impression of it. What I mean is, it would be relevant to give your impression at break-in, 10k, and 30k, just to see if the bike's character changes with use/abuse. I think the bugger is too big anyways.

When will you get to review KTM's V-Twin?

Fight the fat!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I don't think it's a terrible vibration, but at 84 mph in top gear, it does indeed transform into an annoyance. If you cruise between 65 - 83 mph there is still a slight vibration, but it doesn't bother me. Johnny B has more expierience on the newer 4cyl sport tourers and says that they are significantly smoother.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Hmmmm...

... among GT types it's a tad heavy, and expensive... Compare to the Blackbird (CBR1100XX).. [can we agree that it too is essentially a GT..?] A design essentially unchanged for seven years - ok, FI was new in '99 - that has the same displacement, similar ergos (even somewhat adjustable with aftermarket goodies, to include bags), 20-30 more HP, about 130 lbs less weight... oh yeah, and about $7K less expensive... Food for thought, is it not..?
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
FrankS1
Founding Member

So soon we get spoiled. John Burns is old enough to know about bikes without counterbalancers, Sean has probably put a lot of miles behind one of those little combination bug deflectors/helmet buffeters, or a bike with poorly placed lights and clocks and a low seat to catch the turbulence, but now it's *****, *****, *****..

Though for the money, BMW ought to have their act together a little better.

At least the ride on the "slightly improved" rolling brick didn't cause them to complain about surging. That's biggest sore point among us owners of BMWs with the CORRECT number of cylinders, of course. One problem I did NOT read in the reviews. The front and rear suspension on my particular oilhead suffered from expensive-to-cure problems at each end, namely lousy but non-adjustable damping which could best be cured with "brand O" installation. One in front and one in back. No mention or rear squat due to overenthusiastic rebound damping, or front end hobbyhorse due to flaccid low speed damping in their review. Did BMW finally see the light, or get threatened with mutiny from the factory test riders?

Also, no mention of the traditional bugaboo of rolling bricks, namely the smoke cloud you get when the top end fills with oil while the bike is parked on the side stand. Did BMW turn the engine around?
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I remember when BMWs were considered to be the most refined and lightest weight large displacement motorcycles on the market. This 680 pound behemoth, with it's attendant flaws, is a sad comentary on how far BMW has strayed from the design philosophy that made their bikes desirable in the first place. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:30 PM   #9
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: What about break-in?

Sorry, but NO bike is designed to last for 200,000 miles. With particularly good care, a well-made motorcycle can certainly last that long. However, just like cars, if bikes were so overbuilt as to go for a decade without a crazy maintenance schedule then the manufacturers would be cutting their own throats. If no one needed to buy a bike until after 200,000 miles, then there would be about 1/10 the current world's population of bikes.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #10
gbmlaw
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmmm...

No -- we can't agree to that. The XX is a nice bike. It has no bags; no heated grips; a more extreme riding position; chain drive (shafts are still a big attraction to sport tourers); almost no accessories. The XX is sort of like the ZXZZYR or whatever the hell it is Kawasaki. A Grand Tourer for the 300 mile a day Corona with lime set.

Put another $3K into a Blackbird and you get an overpriced half sport tourer that has no resale value. Try a Concours. They cost $7K and have bags and such. And that is a ZX-10 motor. Leave the XX at the malt shop with the other poser bikes.

there hasn\'t been a kill file in place for more than a month, actually,
since i realized that you don\'t get to me anymore. [shrug]
Erin Darling (February 25, 2002)

Brian is an interesting character and an excellent resource
for a variet
gbmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote