Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2003, 03:28 PM   #71
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Halt! Kein mehr kriticizm uv der BMW!

And instead of arm chaps you can wear that cool grey suit with the yellow strip across the back!

Instead of chrome you can install a GPS, Radar Detector, extra driving lights, compass, helmet intercom, and every other gadget ever made.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2003, 03:08 AM   #72
ironoxide
Registered Member

Default Re: BMW K1200GT Reader Feedback

You've got that right! I've owned several BMW's and like them all. However, I'm not parting with my cash until they introduce a brand new engine.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:35 AM   #73
seruzawa
The Toad

Und der white flying scarf. Don't forget der white flying scarf.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:08 PM   #74
TheFox
Founding Member

It's the same time if you compare dog years to people years. And in technology years, they're both ancient history.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #75
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Video clips, the secretary and the Highwayman.

Remember what I told you about non riders and non enthusiasts liking Harleys? It's always the 2nd question out of their mouths.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #76
First_Gear
Founding Member

Default Re: Did I miss something?

Quite a bit. The whole point. I was talking about Mr. Burns. Also I could have brought any of those bikes but chose the K1200RS. I made the comparisons. Some can do this, some can do that. The BMW is better all around. Had my fill of problematic new models from Honda. Ever look where the battery is on the Yamaha and a few other things high up? Is it really smoother than the RS? It was the bike I was going to get till I took a test drive on a RS. I could not get one on a Yamaha. But even then I knew the RS was the bike. It was me. Take a 03 RS out for a test drive and make your own decision. Take all these bikes out. Only then will you know which one works for you. I've put miles on the Ducati. Yes it is a nice bike. It does some things better than the RS. But comfort and wind protection are low. I like it but not the cost of maintaince. Same problem with the Futura. I came within a cats wisker of getting a VFR. I have never been on a Sprint. That I would like to do, but would probally have to turn away because I need room for my wife and consider her comfort on trips. You will have different priorities. All bike tests are from the testers viewpoints and that should be realized. That is what made this a good article. But when the tester makes contradictions I start to wonder and say so.
First_Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:52 PM   #77
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: What about break-in?

My 02 K12RS has been the smoothest bike I have ever rode. Not sure what they did to the GT to get it to vibrate but my RS is smooth as silk. Ive noticed it gets faster with age as I now have 19k on it. I average 38 MPG (at 85mph) with my 300 lbs of girth... The GT with the added fairing my have a bit more drag hence the 36 MPG by Mo with skinny folks on board.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:03 PM   #78
cherryriver
Founding Member

My lifelong friend Rob is the service manager of a Honda-only dealership near Chicago. Rob might be the biggest gearhead I ever knew- he owns two Impala SS's, one stock, the other hotted up. Talk about wretched excess.

His dealership sells over 150 Gold Wings a year, mostly because it has the best service department you ever saw.

He smiles when you ask about BMW owners in his shop. "When they first come in, all I hear about is how the BMW has this, and does that. But after they've had their Wing for about six months, I never hear about that German stuff anymore. Not a word."

For the record, I ride a Kawasaki, but I've owned Beemers and Wings. Now, please excuse me while I snuggle down into this little bomb shelter here...
cherryriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:26 AM   #79
theinnkeeper
Founding Member

You would think for a company the produces some of the worlds best car engines, they would be able to create a decent motorycle engine.

what is it with these companies updating old designs.
theinnkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:30 PM   #80
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default I rode one

at Foothills BMW in Denver two weekends ago. My impressions: as much power as I'll ever need, really liked the brakes, great ergos, heated seat and grips are a godsend in January. However: plenty of windblast, a strange rattling around in the fairing, and an $18K pricetag. I think you'd get better refinement out of a Japanese bike, and once the FJR is equipped with ABS, there'll be little reason to consider the BMW. The roundel counts for something, but not that much.