Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-17-2003, 07:04 PM   #61
First_Gear
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW K1200GT Reader Feedback

Mr Burns floors me. He bragged the GL1800 up. The touring range is about the same on the GL1800 and my 2003 RS. I have owed both. But a sport tourer with the same range as a long range deluxe tourer has poor range? Viberation? The RS is one smooth bike. My RS is Glass smooth compared to a 1800 which is not. I found the 1800 unaceptable for a deluxe touring bike. Yet the K1200 viberates here where the 1800 stated elsewhere as smooth? Handling? This really floors me. There is absolutly no comparsion. The GL1800 does handle very well for a 1000 pound bike unloaded but it is rediculous to compare it to my RS. Loaded two up with the 1800, forget it as it is all over in the handling department, but hardly ruffles the RS. But yet it is stated elsewhere the 1800 is a super handler but the RS is not? The RS has a low center of gravity. Strong body english weighting the inside peg with light counter steering results in one very sweet handling motorcyle. Strong countersteering as used on a high center of gravity 450 lb sport bike will give poor handling which is all I can think happened here. I know you can not compare the two bikes as it is apples and oranges, it is the statements I give comparison to that give me pause and make me wonder. About cost. Been there, done that. I too thought BMW's where expensive. When its all over a year or two down the road, getting another bike outfitted to try and do what a BMW does off the the floor will surpise you and your pocket book. And the BMW is still like a new Rolex compared to a worn out Timex at that time that was only a new Timex to start with. Mr Burns you can keep right up advertising the Honda and Yamaha. I know better and will pass on your reviews as I did on their 1300's from now on.
First_Gear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2003, 03:14 AM   #62
seruzawa
The Toad

Would you like some Grey Poupon with that?
Old 01-18-2003, 03:22 AM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Ultimate Driving Machine?

Stop it! Only HD can be criticized for using old designs. You are not permitted to criticize BMWs hoary old design nor are you allowed to criticize Yamaha for selling pushrod, aircooled V-twins.

Ain't you figured that out yet?
Old 01-18-2003, 06:09 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Ultimate Driving Machine?

Well you know how us "stout, hearty men" like to be politcally incorrect.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:10 AM   #65
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I hope English is your second language

Because it sure ain't your first...............
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:26 AM   #66
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default peculiar...

Hmmm, that's strange; is your 1100GS the old 6 speed gearbox, or a 5 speed? I wonder if that makes a difference? My buddy's R/S is a '99, and I know he keeps saying that he wishes BMW could have put the new 6 speed in that model...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:56 AM   #67
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Did I miss something?

...I thought this was a test of the K/GT, not a comparison between the 1800 Goldwing and a K/RS. Besides, why would you compare the Goldwing ( a luxo-tourer) to the K1200RS anyway? Isn't the K/RS supposed to be a "sport-tourer"? wouldn't you shop the Goldwing against, say, a K1200LT, or maybe one of the Harley dressers?

Why aren't you comparing the K1200RS/GT to it's most likely competition: the FJR1300, ST1300, ZZR1200, and possibly the Futura (although the Futura might be better compared to a Ducati ST4, a VFR, or a Triumph Sprint, no?). Waddya think...is this a more realistic scenario? They all weigh about the same, displace about the same, make about the same bhp-but wait, the BeeEmm has shorter legs, no counter-balancers and cost at least 3 grand more than the others.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:57 AM   #68
cherryriver
Founding Member

While the K12GT seemed at first blush as though it might be a good bike for me, I keep looking at it and seeing something like a Concours with smaller bags and cruise control. Mid 1980's motor, vibes like back then, and the same kind of almost-mushy feel- it even looks like a ZG1000 in some of the photos. But then, how many Connies can you buy for one K12GT?
cherryriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:41 AM   #69
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Ah, gbmlaw... posuer bikes..?

As evidenced by the responses your post seems to have generated, it appears that you have adequately demonstrated the depths of your comprehension of the post to which you took apparent umbrage... but we value your opinion nonetheless. However, it does indeed appear that we may all learn something new from you... could you please tell us what is a "poser(sic) bike"..?
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #70
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Halt! Kein mehr kriticizm uv der BMW!

All kritisizms mussen schtoppen !

Oder der vill be a vissit from....

DER AUTOBAHNMANN!!

Looks like Beemer has its own hard core of afficianados willing to pay outrageous sums for bikes with many rough edges. A lot like Harley.