Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-17-2003, 06:40 AM   #31
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: What about break-in?

Yeah, bring on the KTM V-Twin! Who wants to read about another overhyped inline 4!

While I do like BMW, and want to like this bike, it just doesn't do it for me. My best friend (ex president of the River City Beemers [Sacramento] club) swears by them, is on his third one and does probably 30,000 mi per year on them, but for me, I'd have to go with one of the R bikes (or a 650 single) if I were to get another BMW.

I would gladly accept the vibration etc in a more sporty, lightweight bike, but if I am gonna get a luxury barge, the vibration is just too intrusive.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2003, 06:42 AM   #32
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Futura

You've got to ride the Futura. I got to take a demo ride Summer 2001. Between the handling, the motor, and the riding position, it's hard not to call it the perfect sport tourer. And way fun in the twisties also.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:43 AM   #33
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Ultimate Driving Machine?

The ST4 is sweet.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:44 AM   #34
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Nope.

The vibration will be with your BeeEmm forever; the only thing that happens when their bikes are broken in is that the gearboxes are LESS clunky than before, and they stop burning so much oil. Note that I didn't say "stop clunking", or "stop burning oil". My friend's R1100S took 6,000 miles to break-in...but it's still a paint shaker, and I can hear him pop it into first gear from across the parking lot...with my earplugs in...at a Metallica concert.

Comfy bike, though, and it handles much better than I expected. That Telelever/Paralever suspension feels a little numb- but by God it keeps that bike from pitching when you're ham-handed on the brakes. Of course, if you get throttle happy, the shaft effect (he he, I said "shaft") kicks the bike's back-end to the side, but not enough to upset the chassis.

Didn't the old K bikes used to weep oil into the cylinders if you left the bike on it's sidestand? Great big blue cloud on startup?
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:52 AM   #35
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmmm...

Damned Right!

What a bunch of wusses that can't tour without a full fairing the size of an effin barn door, heated grips, monster stereo system, luggage capacity of a small SUV, power windscreen (!) etc.

I got no problem with someone WANTING to have those things on his/her bike, but to suggest that without them, you don't have a touring bike.......? Gimme a break!

I DO think that Honda are missing the boat by not making hard bags available for the XX (of course it is taking what, 1-2 years to produce the promised VFR hard bags -- whats with that?).

Bob
Old 01-17-2003, 07:01 AM   #36
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW K1200GT Reader Feedback

What? KPaul was drawn to the V-Twin over the inline 4? Did I read that correctly?

The Futura IS a sweet ride -- that is probably what I would spend my money for if I were to buy an Aprilia.

Bob
Old 01-17-2003, 07:07 AM   #37
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default A GT for the Corona set?!?!?

True, the XX doesn't come with saddlebags; neither does the K1200RS stock. Does that mean it's not a GT? I'm not particularly fond of heated grips...it's not my palms that get cold, but the BACKS of my hands. Extreme riding position? Lets just say that "extreme" is in the spine of the beholder. Shaft drive? Although it is extremely low maintenance, I don't like the shaft lash, the extra weight, the 10 to 15 percent power loss, and the fact that I can't just change a sprocket for more acceleration or top end.

A 300 mile GT for the Corona w/ lime set? you have clearly never spent a significant amount of time on a Blackbird. I did a Saddlesore 1000 on a stock XX with no problems; check out the Ironbutt website and see how many other people consider the XX a fine GT machine.

By the way, if the XX isn't a GT bike, why do the BMW dealers in town keep describing the K1200RS as a Bavarian Blackbird?
Old 01-17-2003, 07:13 AM   #38
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW K1200GT Reader Feedback

No, Longride, K vibration isn't that bad, but it's unnecessary when the R series doesn't vibrate at all. The R1150RT is all the tourer most people could want, and more of a motorcycle than any of the Ks.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:21 AM   #39
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default They may not vibrate...

...but they shake like someone sticking a penny in a light socket. I test rode a 2003 R1150RT two weeks ago and was unimpressed with the motor (both the shaking and the lack of power). The rear brake, on the other hand, defines the term "throw out the anchor"... I almost bounced off the windshield the first time I "dragged" a little rear brake!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:26 AM   #40
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: What about break-in?

I put 80k mi. on my '85 K100RS before I ran into a wife and house full of kids and had to sell it, I wanted to get 100k on it. They smooth out with mileage, as long as you grease the clutch splines on time, My '79 R100RT had right at 100K, but my dad put most of those miles on, before he gave it to me, That said $18k is alot of coin, considering the compettition., It's like HD, if your going to keep it forever the money doesn't matter.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote