Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-16-2003, 10:11 PM   #21
deerhunter
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW K1200GT Reader Feedback

$17,990 and it still needs an aftermarket windshield..."inspired by miracle creams"...vibration...

Yawn.

No thanks.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2003, 11:56 PM   #22
Arrow
Registered Member

Default Re: Hmmmm...

As far as I know it is a bored Ninja 900 engine, and it does have 4 valves...
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:28 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: What about break-in?

200,000 for a GoldWing is just warming up. Many have over 300,000 and have never been apart. Many BMW's have the same track record. I think the difference betwen NEEDING a new bike and WANTING a new bike, is where your theory fails.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:32 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: BMW K1200GT Reader Feedback

"I remember when BMWs were considered to be the most refined and lightest weight large displacement motorcycles on the market."

Yeah I remember 1968 too. Ahh the memories!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:22 AM   #25
RonXX
Founding Member

You're right, but I think if you can afford the $18K for one of these bikes then you will probably buy a new one before it begins to rot out from under you.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:43 AM   #26
crackerdaddy
Founding Member

XX a poser bike? Yeah right.

Just because your bike doesn't have heated grips and hard bags doesn't mean you can't rack up some miles.

Some of us even do it WITHOUT A FAIRING!
crackerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 03:11 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Ultimate Driving Machine?

It is interesting that BMWs cars are the pinnacle of technology while the bikes are getting a bit long in the tooth.

I don't have any experience on a K-bike but I have put some miles on an R1100RT. Both motors are older than Harley's current offerings! The suspension is incredibly compliant however the fuel injection and the surging still needs work.

I believe Beemers to be competent long distance bikes but I'm not inspired enough to part with my hard-earned cash for one.

I'll be hanging on to my Ducati ST4.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:18 AM   #28
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Is that why they burn so much oil. Apparently BMW thinks oil consumption of 1 to 1.5 litres of oil every 1000 km is perfectly acceptable for a modern (?) liquid-cooled inline-4 engine. I don't. But, maybe some guys are running their bikes on synthetic too soon, before the rings and cylinders have a chance to mate.

All I know is that my liquid-cooled inline 4 uses maybe 1/2 a litre between oil changes every 4,000 to 5,000 km.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:34 AM   #29
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Incorrect VWW. The Concours has the DOHC 4-valve engine from the ZX-10. A little vibey but certainly fast enough. And a screaming value. Honda and BMW can keep their high-priced sport tourers. As much as I love the ST1300 it's too expensive for what you get. No standard power windshield for $12500? What kind of crap is that? They had 12 freakin' years to design that bike! How about standard ABS, power windshield, and a puick-release top case for $12500. Now we're talking.

I see real value in the Concours. For $8000 I can live without some premium features.

I have ridden the K1200RS and didn'd find it to have bad vibration, even at, ahem, speed. It pulls like a freight train once it's rolling. Just like a woman (or man depending), sometimes you want a ride with some meat on the bone.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:35 AM   #30
ZRXRy
Founding Member

To be exact, I think it is essentially the Eliminator 1000 engine. Which was a Ninja 900 engine bored to a 1000 and a shaft drive fitted.

I believe the ZX-10 started the line of engines that became the ZX11, ZRX, etc, in having one rocker arm per valve, which slides to the side to allow access to the shims, as opposed to the Ninja900/Eliminator/Concours design with forked rocker arms and threaded adjusters.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote