Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-09-2003, 04:49 AM   #41
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: You're still a dumbass

LOL. I was just sitting here bored at this ultra trendy hotel in downtown Los Angeles. The shower is just this big glass box right in the middle of the room so I thank my lucky stars my business partner has his own room!

The rooftop bar is cool and the chicks are hot here so that's the fun part of this trip. Hey MO you ever hang out at "the standard?"
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2003, 06:27 AM   #42
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Kawasaki ZX-6Rs: Part one, on paper

More displacement on the 6R than the RR.

As the old saying goes, "There is no substitute for cubic inches."
Old 01-09-2003, 06:28 AM   #43
rsheidler
Founding Member

As Longride posted a couple of days ago, if you and the Highwayman didn't exist, we'd have to invent you.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:32 AM   #44
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Your'e right. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to mention it. I'm even more surprised that JohnnyB, one of the few people on the planet who knows more about motorcycling than, ahem, I do, didn't pick up on this.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:36 AM   #45
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: I hate to have to resort to this old school method...

Ah love is in the air.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:39 AM   #46
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Undertail exhaust

Yeah, I bet the undertail exhaust would knock a good 1/2 second off my Willow lap times.

First, the Big Four rip off Harley with all their specials, now they gotta start rippin off Ducati with their sportbikes. What they gonna do next, make a boxer twin or a horizontal, longitudal inline 4 and rip off BMW?

For the humor impaired, I am joking, but complaining that the Kwacker doesn't have an underseat exhaust seems like a pretty silly criticism to me.

Bob
Old 01-09-2003, 06:40 AM   #47
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: You're still a dumbass

Do you really think long ride has a Ninja? Where would one ride a sportbike in Chicago? Everthing is flat and straight. Perhaps he rides his bike in the parking lot of the United Center since noone goes to Bulls games anymore.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:49 AM   #48
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

You got that right. Yamaha's YZF600R was a top-shelf sportbike in the mid-to-late 1990s, and still provides real-world value today. The dearly-departed ZX-6R was a top-shelf sportbike in the late 1990s and still provides real-world value today, especially in 636cc form.

The ZZ-R600 was an innovative motorcycle in the very early 1990s, but was soon eclipsed by more competent motorcycles. Today it is an overpriced, overweight relic with a top-heavy powerband that reminds us why so many people still write off the 600cc-class sportbikes. It is comfortable, but so is the last-generation ZX-6R. Kawasaki should have retired this machine and kept a 636cc version of the old ZX-6R in the lineup as its real-world 600-class machine. As someone who has spent his own hard-earned cash on a YZF600R, I'd be willing to pay $7,000-$7,500 for a bike like this. I wouldn't give you $4,000 for a brand-new ZZ-R600. Nor would I pay $4,000 for the proposed Z600R (636cc interpretation of the Z1000R with cheapo suspension designed to compete with the 600cc Hornets-Fazers in Europe).

Kawasaki was probably worried about having bikes too close in function cannibalizing sales from one another, but I think their fears are misplaced. People who want a hard-edged sportbike will choose the ZX-6R, regardless of what else Kawasaki offers. People who want something more comfortable, yet still sporty, would have chosen the old 6R. As it stands now, they will likely choose Yamaha's YZF600R over the antiquated ZZ-R600.

The new ZX-6R is great, just what Kawasaki needed, and they will probably sell every one they bring to the U.S. market. Had they retained a 636cc version of the old ZX-6R, they would have probably sold several thousand examples to people looking for an extremely sporty sport-tourer, or at least as many examples as Yamaha sells of its YZF600R, which is the bike from which it would have been cannibalizing sales. Instead, they will probably sell a few hundred of the antiquated ZZ-R600s.

All of which supports my theory that we should institute corporal punishment to prevent the meatbags in marketing departments from outsmarting themselves.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:53 AM   #49
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: I too love UK sportbike mags

Re the Cali-boyz -- are you refering to MO staff or Kawasaki US? From the comments above it appears that it was Kawasaki's decision to cancel...

"we can pretty much write about a bike even when they don't let us ride the sum***** `cause it's rainin', cough. What? You're afraid we'll fall off your precious Kawasaki ZX-6R? Wait. Don't answer that... ""

Is the Seattle weather allowing you to get any seat time on the Bandit? I guess if you guys didn't ride in the rain, you wouldn't get much riding time.

Cheers

Bob
Old 01-09-2003, 06:57 AM   #50
KPaulCook
Banned

Hey I hope everthing is OK with you. I sure learn a lot from our discussions.