Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-10-2003, 11:08 AM   #121
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: I wanna be squidly!

The ones I had recently seen tended to run around 2200-2500, but I just did a quick search on cycletrader and came up with several that looked pretty clean and lo miles for much less -- especially the GS. See for example:

adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/8/38960428.htm

Personally I am partial to the Hawk, all other things equal, due to state-of-the-art chassis, etc, styling, lack of plastic (to break when you crash) and most of all (this for KPaul's benefit) that V-Twin motor!

Any of these are good, even for experienced riders.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2003, 11:20 AM   #122
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZX-6Rs: Part one, on paper

Only my 27th (not counting some puttering around on a trail bike) so I guess I'm not yet ready for the 600

Personally, while I enjoy my Ducati on the track, I prefer either a thumper (eg my SR500 or a Supermoto) or an old RD350/400 on back roads. For one thing, it is especially fun to run away from the squids on 600s on an old piece of crap, and if the DO run away, I have my built in excuse.

600s are effin wonderful track bikes. Only reason I didn't go that way is that the race classes are so full of young squids (who are not only very aggressive, but also lots better than I am). Twins classes tend to be a bit more low-key with smaller fields (and a lot of other old farts to race with).
Old 01-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #123
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

If the 636cc Kawasaki is a success, don't you think the next Yamaha R6 will be a 650cc machine? Followed by a 699cc CBR-RR? Followed by a GSX-R750? Wait, we already have that one...

Seriously, if history is any indication, a successful 636cc Kawasaki could well herald the rebirth of the 750cc class.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:46 AM   #124
rsheidler
Founding Member

Try that thing with 13.5:1 compression pistons if ya wanna learn about engine braking LOL

I am halfway seriously considering a slipper clutch (they are damn expensive) cause it is really tough to get downshifted into a turn without kicking the rear out.

The ST4 actually has a much nicer powerband than the 2-valve motors. I think the newer EFI ones are better, but the carburated ones abruptly run out of steam at about 7000 rpm. The dyno graph is almost literally vertical. Something to do with pressure waves in the airbox, as well as the long intake manifold.

I have ridden the ST2 quite a bit, but only a short test ride on the ST4. I liked both a lot.

A little over a month to wait for your new Harley!

Bob
Old 01-10-2003, 11:51 AM   #125
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

I've been giving serious thought to getting a track bike. Like you, I have no desire to mix it up with the whackos on the 600s. I'll either get an SV650 or a GS500 and stick with the old farts. They look like they are having a lot more fun out there.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:52 AM   #126
rsheidler
Founding Member

This is an encouraging trend. All the new ZX-6Rs look really nice, and at least some of the available colors for the new R6 and CBR600RR are nice. Are you listening, Suzuki?!
Old 01-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #127
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

For the record, I'm counting the six years I spent puttering around on trail bikes and dirt bikes. A motorcycle is a motorcycle.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #128
dwr461
Founding Member

My grammar and spelling were bad enough in my previous posting to give KPaul a run for his money. I know about owning a dual sport and never going offroad with it. I had a 1999 F650 that very rarely saw anything remotely like not being on pavement. That was why I purchased the R1100RS. But then the R1150GS is a more well rounded bike than the "F". I think it'll be a much better bike than the Road King. But I don't think get as many compliments about it's looks. The GS's looks have grown on me but man it is still unusual looking. It kind of resembles a mosquito on steroids. Give me an e-mail if you ever get down this way and show you some interesting roads.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:00 PM   #129
blackburd
Founding Member

That's another problem with getting old(er). You get to see all history repeat itself over and over and........
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:10 PM   #130
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've really enjoyed my ST4. A friend of mine had a Kawasaki Concours and now a BMWR1100RT and everytime we swich bikes on a roadtrip he is just amazed at the powerband of the Ducati.

He's looking foward to me getting my Harley so he's not so far behind all the time.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote