Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-10-2003, 12:20 AM   #101
Jexter
Founding Member

Default MAC BOY!

Sorry dude, Macs suck. Not because of some techy stuff (though I like the much more available -and cheaper, I believe- parts), and not because of aesthetics (my computer doesn't match anything in my house, thank God, much less anything neon or pastel).

They suck because of their negative add campaign of several years ago. Remember? Those anti-pc and anti-Pentium commercials? BAD KARMA, that. They almost went under about the same time. Remember Sega, and the commercials with the underhanded remarks about Nintendo & Mario (well, I do)? Yeah, yeah, see what happened to them? Their systems, which were superior, ALL FLOPPED. It's a dharmic cycle, or something, and I think Mac's gonna fall prey to the same thing.

I'll keep my glitches and my wobbly OS, thank you very much. In 10 years, there will still be 50 bazillion companies making hardware for me, where Mac will have been zapped out of existance by the great machine of business morality sow-an'-reap, my friend.

Jex

PS AAAAANNNNND, by then, it'll probably be out of style sitting on your desk, too. ;P
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2003, 12:55 AM   #102
Jexter
Founding Member

Default I wanna be squidly!

Hey RS, I really wanna be fast, so lemme run this by you...

I'm thinking about buying this Honda Hawk (I think) 400 from this shop down the street. Is that any good to learn on? If not, what can I find in the $1500 range to go scooting around the mountains on? Right now I'm riding an 82 GL500, but it's rather heavy and doesn't have much in the way of ground clearance. But then, I've never tried it without the centerstand and crash bar...

Oh well, any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jex
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 05:35 AM   #103
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki ZX-6Rs: Part one, on paper

I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying (unsuccessfully, I guess) to point out that the actual benefit from an inverted fork on the street would be so small you probably wouldn't even notice it.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #104
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Nevermind. I just reread your post and the sarcasm reached out from my computer screen and *****-slapped me.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:32 AM   #105
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Re: I wanna be squidly!

The only time I've ridden my YZF600R hard enough to get front end chatter on the street was when I was riding with a bunch of Honda Hawk GT-mounted lunatics near Suches, GA. These guys were so fast through the tight twisty stuff that I finally resorted to the squidly behavior of riding too fast in the (rare) straight sections to make up time. Frankly, I would have been better off on a well-prepped GS500 at the time, but on the 2400-mile round trip to Suches and back, I was pretty damned glad not to be on a GS500.

Go ahead and get a Hawk, if you find a good one that hasn't been raced to death. They are amazing bikes.

Someone posted something about my fork supsension settings, and he had a point. I had only owned the bike for about 5 weeks (it''s an '03 model), and had barely put 5000 miles on it when I was at Suches. I was still trying to find the right suspension settings for those types of roads.

Still, I wouldn't buy another sportbike without an inverted fork. Regardless of how good a traditional fork can be, a well-designed quality inverted fork will be better. If I was buying a motorcycle for all-around use, it wouldn't be as high a priority, but I already have one of the best all-arounders on the market, so I'd be foolish to buy another one.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #106
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

To answer both of you; Yes. They have decent torque on a spec chart. However, in the real world, the higher displacement bikes have more torque and most importantly more torque located in the lower rev range, where street riders spend 95% of their time. This means it is easy to use (just roll-on). The 600s can hustle two people up the steepest mountain passes with little problem, but because their torque peaks are located high in the rev-range, you'll have to work harder with the clutch and shifter, to get that hustle out of them.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:14 AM   #107
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Dave,

I'm 6'3" so the Adventure is "Just right" for me.

The knobbies have a surprising amount of on-road grip. But yeah, I'll probably go with either the Tourance that's on the standard GS, or maybe something more decidedly sport-toury...maybe Avons, maybe the BT020? As odd as it sounds, I don't plan on doing a lot (if any) off roading, but the bike just fits so well, it doesnt matter. I live in the metro Atlanta area now. But I travel to Tallahassee every six weeks or so, and to West Palm Beach (home) three or four times a year, and I'll be moving to virginia in the fall. How's about you.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:58 AM   #108
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: I wanna be squidly!

Jex

I don't claim to be the final authority on these things, but for what it is worth...

The Honda Hawk 400 I am familiar with was a circa 1980 bike -- don't know a lot about them. If it is in good condition, I would think it could be a good deal. Most Japanese bikes of that era came with crap shocks (the joke was that their purpose was only to keep the rear tire from rubbing on the fender until you got it home,where you could replace it with something useful). My guess is that unless it has been replaced with something better, you would want to replace and upgrade the shocks. Upgraded shocks for old twinshock bikes are not always so easy to pick up at the local motorcycle shop, so you may need to go on-line or mail order to find what you would need.

A bike of this era will not have the brakes or suspension of a more modern bike, so you need to make appropriate allowances (more of an issue if you were going from a more modern bike to this -- compared to your GL500, it could be a big improvement.

At the $1,500 price point, it is hard to say what other options to consider. Yamaha RD350 or 400s from the late 70s will be possibilities, if you can find one in good condition. Also, late 70-early 80 Yamaha SR500. These are the bikes I learned on, so I am biased, but properly ridden, they are still potent backroad machines. I personally have no experience with buying used 2-stroke bikes (the RDs) so can't tell you what to look for. I am interested in buying one myself, though (my excuse is that it is for my daughter, but really for me). With these older Yamahas, you also need to have better than stock shocks.

For a few more $$ I suggest the Honda Hawk GT 650. This was a late 80s bike, with very modern, aluminium chassis, suspension etc and a water-cooled V-twin. One of the best handling bikes out there, and you will have modern tire sizes, good brakes etc, even by current standards. I just looked quickly on cycletrader.com and it seems that there are quite a few in the 2000-2500 range.

You might consider a used Ninja 250 as well. I haven't seen a lot of them out there in the market, but they can work well, and handle well. Somewhat depends on your size, I suppose.

I am guessing that an EX500 or GS500 in good condition might be a little more than your target budget, but you might find one with cosmetic damage in that range. Plastic replacement is expensive -- if you don't mind that it is ugly, just throw away the broken plastic, or fix it with duct tape.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:22 AM   #109
rsheidler
Founding Member

Sean, you put this very well.

In my opinion, if I were planning mostly track days and 9/10ths street riding, I would chose one of these supersport 600s. On the other hand, for fast, but not extreme, street riding, most riders (I know that is true of me) will find 750 or literbike more suitable, for just the reasons you cite. If you have to concentrate on keeping the rpm in the right part of the range, while at the same time picking the best line over an unfamiliar road, it is tough. With the bigger bike, you can ride one gear high and power out of the turns using the fat torque curve. I find the 600s tricky on unfamiliar roads as they always seem to "come on the cam" at the most inopportune moment while I am still leaned way over.

Of course, it could just be that I am a crap rider and/or that I am spoiled from riding my inferior V-Twin that doesn't have enough power to get me in trouble in those circumstances.

Bob
Old 01-10-2003, 08:39 AM   #110
rsheidler
Founding Member

Actually I have my eyes open for one right now. The excuse is that it is for my daughter to start her street riding, but really it is for me! My first street bike was an RD400, then went to an SR500 (which I still have, but it is set up for road racing now).