Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-07-2003, 06:57 AM   #31
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Boots and Gloves of the Real Biker

Funny how that latest NHTSB report showed that the group with the biggest increase in injuries was the middle-aged cruiser crowd. Perhaps you shouldn't count on having those low rates for much longer.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2003, 08:28 AM   #32
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: Zorro removes his mask for NO ONE!

BLIP,

I thought you'd been raptured with a cult of those "My Mommy and Daddy Are Aliens" folks!

Glad to see you're still consuming oxygen.

Peace.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:40 AM   #33
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Oh if I just had more time in my day...

That one would even be fun to write... maybe I'll work on that one on my PocketPC the next time I'm stuck on a plane.

"the man strong enough for a real American machine doesn't waste time choosing where to urinate, he continues his powerful ride as he marks the road. This man is never urinates, he marks his territory.... and the lesser men know by the film on their pathetic plastic atrocity screens that a bigger, meaner dog just let go..."

Then again, maybe not.

JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #34
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default WHY WE REVIEWED THEM

Are there BETTER boots for motorcycling? Of course there are. However, not every rider is willing to wear "motorcycle" boots. I'm a racer, I'd never race in a pair of Docs. Of course, I don't really care to wear my cool suit, back protector, and racing leathers on the street either. These boots are reviewed as Dual Purpose items that are much more apropriate for motorcycle riding, than the footwear that many of us have used at one time or another, to run to the store, or jet accross town to catch the game at a buddy's house. If the convienience of slipping on a pair of Docs saves ONE would be flip flop wearing toe amputation, then this article was the best thing we've ever posted. If you don't like them, don't buy them. I HAVE seen open face helmets reviewed before, and I don't recall those publications getting blasted for bothering to do the review.

Of course there are always lace-up Docs for those of us afraid of maiming a small child with a flying boot.

Maximum Respect,

Sean
Old 01-07-2003, 09:09 AM   #35
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Nice Write-Up Guys!

Thanks for a nice write-up. Sound like good boots. My only concern, expressed by some others as well, is how well they would stay on in the event of a high-side. Since I know Sean has had some high-side experience maybe he could give his opinion on this.

Without some assurance that they are likely to say on, I would probably go for the lace up version, myself, in spite of their being less convenient and (in my view) less stylish.

I do, occassionally, wear cowboy boots for casual riding, when my race-style boods just wouldn't look right, and if Sean gives his assurance that they are likely to stay on in a crash, I could be really tempted by these.

Keep up the good work

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:26 AM   #36
rsheidler
Founding Member

What is this world comming to.....Longride and the Sausage King citing the insurance industry and the NHTSB!!?? Will they be quoting Joan Claybrook, Ralph Nader or Al Gore next?

Seriously, I am totally in favor of personal choice when it comes to any safety gear. Personally, I won't ride around the block without a full face helmet, leather or cordura jacket (at least), boots and gloves, but that is my personal decision.

I assume that the rising injury rate among cruisers cited by the NHTSB report at least partially reflects the number of new (or returning after prolonged absence) riders who are now buying cruisers. The NHTSB has a long history of citing statistical data without adjusting for other variables.

Cheers

Bob
Old 01-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Default It's not in Webster's Unabridged...

I'm still trying to figure out what an atrociteur is.

Old 01-07-2003, 10:40 AM   #38
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Well, obviously the report doesn't specify between "skilled" and "unskilled" cruiser riders, nor their length of experience, just as it makes no distinction between the different experience levels and abilities of sportbike owners. It merely states that those middle aged peeps on their shiny new sleds are starting to account for more crashes. I've been riding sportbikes for 6 years with one minor accident and no insurance claims. I guess that makes me one of the "experienced", "skilled" sportbike riders that's getting ripped off on my insurance rates.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:52 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

My insurance company charges are based on displacement, age and experience. My age and experience puts my coverage on my 91 GSX1100 at $150 per year.

A 17 year old on the same bike pays.... $6000.

A 40 year old with no experience pays more like a couple of thousand. Once again a couple of years experience will reduce that figure considerably.

Don't worry, the insurance companies are way ahead of everybody on this.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:53 AM   #40
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: What's going on here?

Abe

I don't really disagree ... certainly these are not 'motorcycle-specific" boots. But, face it, most of us ride with some type of non-specific footgear at least part of the time, and my observation (non-scientific) is that the majority of street riders are not wearing "real" motorcycle boots.

As for what type of underwear to wear, that could be a valid subject to explore. On a long ride, that can make a huge difference in comfort. Personally, I go with lycra bicycle-type shorts (either padded or not, depending on the bike) for long rides. No seams or hems to make pressure points. Learned this trick from a multi-time Iron Butt winner.

I suggest that MO should get Bree to model again and do a full comparison of different styles. I'm thinkin that, on her, a thong might work well.

Bob