Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 AM   #71
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default Re: Yoohoo! Highwayman!!

Yeah, the E-H...great. Another Harley clone, slightly different styling, blabbidy blah blah blah. What I'd like to know is why you guys had to take down Highwayguy's rant. It was the best thing about this whole sordid affair--and by "sordid affair" I mean some rich cruiser guy going on and on about a couple of backward-ass motorcycles.
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #72
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default Re: the Highwayman is a well paid marketing ploy.

Mr. Honda died a couple of years ago. If you do see him at one of your HD rallies (or anywhere else), stop drinking and put the cork back in the bottle.
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #73
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Default Re: the Highwayman is a well paid marketing ploy.

As much as i'd like to believe that your business model there is the current way HD does business, i have to disagree. Umm, yes, a company can sell 250,000 of anything by "devising plans to exploit American Patriotism", whereas you seem to know alot about HD, and i won't deny that, certainly more that I, there is a certain reality that big business faces. I'm sure they ask the customers what they want, and any good business should, but any business, to survive as HD has (and they have done a stupendous job) is not warm and fuzzy on the inside. Any company that is trying to make money will exploit any aspect that they can, plain and simple. The only disturbing thing about it is that so many people have bought into the marketing in such a way that they can't (refuse?) see the truth behind big business in the U S of A. Anyways bravo to HD for the flawless execution of a cold hearted marketing plan.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:43 AM   #74
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Default Re: We weren't talking about GoldWings but in any case I'll defend the Wing

Your Goldwing lost half it's value in four years? Hmmmm, wouldn't have been because of the 80,000 miles, would it? You can sell a 1976 Superglide for ten grand? Not to me you can't. I do know about motorcycles and I don't pay that much money when I can get something far superior for the price. Also, not every factor in buying a motorcycle is emotional. Not even close. I don't know about you but I have to consider praticality, price, etc...Finally, buying a motorcycle over a car is not illogical if what you want is a motorcycle. I can tell that you know a lot about bikes and it would be sad if you thought all this was simply about transportation.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:54 AM   #75
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Default Re: The Roadhouse

is he discribing someone we want to be?
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:02 PM   #76
grover750
Founding Member

Default marketing..

Ever consider the possibility that having Willie G slapping backs at HD run "rallies" is PART of the marketing scheme? I don't know how many times I've read about him doing that, it is a required part of any story on HD.

I'm not saying that Willie G doesn't get good ideas from rallies, just offering the possibility that he's there for more than one reason. After all, his last name is "Davidson". He's part of the product.

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:47 PM   #77
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Think they include a ghoulish laugh too?

Ah yes, the truth about "big business" in the USA. They fool people into buying dangerous products (harmful to the environment I'm sure). How cold hearted can it get? Will the exploitation ever end?

Now let's see:

a) they sell several hundred thousand bikes (and not at gunpoint either!) to happy customers every year.

b) premium prices and sales of lots of t-shirts, etc. certainly keep shareholders happy, you know, regular people with investments like you and me?

c) they've been rated one of the best companies in the US to work for several times.

d) H-D and its riders raise millions upon millions of dollars for charities.

Now compare this to your average govt. agency. One way of doing things, no flexibility. No choice allowed, do it or we throw you in jail. Lower than average wages and employee satisfaction.

Would you rather work for H-D or the DMV?

I guess surviving the Great Depression, two World Wars, the Japanese invasion and the Carter years isn't enough for you eh?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:16 PM   #78
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default The Highway Man Rides to Sturgis

The Highwayman leans back on the seat of his machine, extends his legs and plants his heavy boots on the forward mounted controls. Fires up the powerful motor, and steers the heavy, precision machine out on the highway – the old Steppenwolf song running through his head. The rapier-like 21” front tire knifes through the air, as the sunlight reflects off its spokes. This is a Harley, the only Real American Motorcycle. He is a Harley Man – maybe THE Harley man.

He is in route to a large gathering of like-minded men. Harley men. Stout, hearty men. True American men. And women. Women who appreciate such men and their machines. Women who would never be caught on the back of an Asian atrocity cycle. Or in the bed of an atrociteur. The Highwayman has long been anticipating this journey. Much whiskey and beer will be consumed. Many lies will be told. Comradeship with likeminded men. Stout, hearty men. Muscular, American men. And the women who appreciate them.

He is perfectly dressed for the road. Wraparound sunglasses. Fringed leather vest over his strong, bare chest – showing strong arms and tattoos. The nap of the leather vest gently rubs his nipples. Arm chaps. Certainly no helmet. Atrociteurs may feel compelled to follow the laws by wearing such things, but never the Highwayman. The policemen realize that such laws were not intended for men such as our Highwayman and let him pass, unchallenged.

As the miles pass, the basso rhythm sooths his soul. Occasionally, an atrocity cycle passes. Many are cheap plastic caricatures of the true, American motorcycle – usually with the badges of shame ripped from their tanks. Others are so-called “sport bikes” whose brightly clothed riders appear to performing some sort of unnatural sexual act with their Atrocity cycles. Still others resemble two-wheeled automobiles. The atrociteur often waves, but the Highwayman never returns the wave.

As a true American, he knows that an Asian atrocity cycle can never be American, regardless of where it is built. Its soul will always be Asian, as the soul of his Harley will always be American, regardless of the fact that many of its components may be manufactured in Asia. A true American Motorcyclist can never ride an Asian atrocity cycle. His father fought on Okinawa. His Uncle fought in Korea. His older brother fought gooks in Vietnam. Asians can never be True Americans and Asians can never build True American Motorcycles.

The Highwayman is not disturbed when these atrociteurs pass him – he knows that he will repass them at a rest stop somewhere up the road. Atrociteurs are no match for real, American motorcyclists when long miles must be covered. He is almost sorry for them sometimes, when he sees them stopped beside the road, searching for shade and drenched in sweat, or huddled under a bridge attempting to wait out a rainstorm. Sometimes, he observes a Harley Davidson stopped with the Atrocity cycles. He feels nothing but scorn for these pseudo motorcyclists, even more than for the atrociteurs. Sadly, not everyone who owns a Harley is a True American Motorcyclist, although every True American Motorcyclist does ride a Harley.

He himself is little bothered as he passes through the desert heat or the sudden thundershower. From the days of the mountain men and cowboys, true American heroes have seldom allowed the weather to deter them from their destinations.

Also much like those American heroes from earlier eras, he commands respect, and often fear, but seldom has to actually utter a threat, or directly confront his adversary. Usually his reputation is enough to discourage any potential challenger. However, like John Wayne, sometimes, when he enters a strange town far from home, a foolish stranger, unaware of his reputation, may be tempted to issue a challenge.

Eventually, even the Highwayman must stop to eat. He pulls into the parking lot of a local beanery, and saunters into the café. A group of brightly clothed atrociteurs sits at one end of the lunch counter, so he takes a booth at the opposite end. The proprietor, a large, powerfully built man, demands that he leave the cafe or put on a shirt. The atrociteurs stop in mid-bite to watch what transpires. Fixing the proprietor with a hard stare, he reaches into his vest. Instead of the expected switchblade, he pulls out a card with a printed message. As he reads the message, the proprietor’s face blanches, he stammers a quick apology and hands him a menu, quickly backing away.

After finishing his sandwich, washed down with a fine local microbrew, The Highwayman offers to pay, but the owner waves his money away. He stops at the restroom, where he removes and drains the catchbag attached to his Sneaky-Leaker, reattaches it to his leg under his jeans, and ventures out to the parking lot, where he gives his Harley a careful pre-departure check. Meanwhile, the stunned atrociteurs clamor around the proprietor, dying to know what the message on the card could possibly say.

As they crowd around, the owner holds up the card so all can read. The last line says it all …“Attorney-at-Law!” Fearfully and stealthily, the atrociteurs peer through the blinds, watching as the Highwayman tightens the tie-downs holding the shiny new Softtail to its trailer, then fires up the new Lexus and pulls away. As he leaves, the sound of his powerful stereo can be heard, the basso rhythm shaking the diner. “Get your motor runnin’ ... Get out on the highway. Lookin’ for adventure and whatever comes your way….”

They call him……

The Highwayman

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:36 PM   #79
wfowade
Founding Member

Default Re: We weren't talking about GoldWings but in any case I'll defend the Wing

While I don't own a Harley, I do own some bikes that won't win on a performance contest. They are a bit eccentric. I have also rented a HD and actually enjoyed it. Not enough to write the check but I better understand why some would dig it. Cruisers don't suck, they just require a different mindset from all sport bikes. Or dirt bikes. Or touring bikes. Or trials bikes. Or race bikes (very different than what K. Paul Cook is picking up at his local Super K dealer).

Hey K. Paul, Open your mind and go experience something for yourself. Life is like that-it's better to go through it than just to read about it so you are able to regurgitate it on demand.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #80
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You make excellent points here. You'll probably have to convince magazine test riders though. They typically take a cruiser-style bike out for a test and then complain if the floorboards scrape or it's not as fast as a sportbike.

I can just see the latest magazine complaining that a trials bike won't do the quarter mile in 11 seconds.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote