Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-04-2003, 11:14 PM   #61
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: I've never really understood the whole cruiser thing

Well, just ta chime in, I have only my bike to commute on. ('82 GL500)
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2003, 11:22 PM   #62
Jexter
Founding Member

Default HEY MAN, I LOVED THE AZTEK!

Well...it was kinda neat.

...I thought so, anyways.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:34 AM   #63
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: We weren't talking about GoldWings but in any case I'll defend the Wing

I will go over this so even you can understand it:

1. You missed the point so badly, it's even a first for you. I was trying to get this man to think of why anyone would LOGICALLY pick a motorcycle over an auto for the same price. Answer: There is no LOGICAL reason. The car beats the crap out of any motorcycle for practicality hands down. There is no argument to that statement. Now, that said, if there is no logical choice for buying a motorcycle, then the argument certainly stands that there is no logical reason for which bike is chosen over another, since the very reason for purchasing ANY motorcycle is not logical. So the question of why we need a REASON anyone would buy a Harley, is there is none. Just like there is no REASON to buy a GoldWing or VTX. We buy it on purely EMOTIONAL reasons. The question I posed was not about GoldWings per se. It could have been a VTX 1800 vs. Dodge Neon. The POINT was the representation of an ILLOGICAL decision.

2. You are going to defend the GoldWing to me? I owned a 1996 GoldWing and put 80,000 miles on it before I sold it. I also rode the new one for over a week and put many miles on one of those. How many did you own or ride? I know what a Wing is, and isn't. How do you know anything about one? Tell me all your personal experiences, instead of somebody elses. If you are going to defend something, you need to actually have EXPERIENCE, unless you are talking to someone as dumb as you are, which you certainly are not. Posting a bunch of links is unimpressive, meaningless, and useless as there is nothing they, or you, are going to tell me that I don't already know about the older or newer Wing.

3. Ok lets talk price/performance. My 1996 Wing that was sold in 2000 lost 1/2 of its value in 4 years. If I bought a 1996 Harley and sold it in 2000 it would have retained 95 - 120% of it's value. First Wing was 1975. They go for about half of what they were bought for, or less. A 1975 Harley sells for about 3 times what was bought for. I have a 1976 Superglide that was priced at 3600 new that I can easily sell for 10,000. I can also rebuild every nut a bolt. Want to try rebuilding a wing? Just changing out a set of shifter forks is about a 25 hr. job for a pro mechanic and takes many special tools. I did all my maintenance on my 1996 Wing and it is difficult to work on when service is called for. Not many service them, so add in dealer costs of service also. You forgot to mention these little tidbits as well as the new Wing has an overheating problem, that has finally been acknowledged, but not fixed, by Honda after MANY complaints. I am not trashing to Wing in any way. It is a fine motorcycle with unbelievable reliability and smoothness. It also handles well and can rack up the miles like no other. There is nothing wrong with owning a Wing. I still feel Honda went in the wrong direction with the new Wing, and sales of the new one is less than stellar. Only 25,000 sold in 2 years is not a good number. Maybe that is why Honda is finally owning up to the overheating problem. Word has gotten around and it's not been a good word for Honda.

So, first, get the point before posting your BS. Second, stop trying to tell me about Wings, as you know as much about them as pretty much everything else. Third. If you want to argue price/performance, be sure to include variables that are not in favor of your bike. Only stating half makes you look silly.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:44 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: they're buying the brand

I think you make an excellent point. Poseurs ride all brands. I'm sure all of us are guilty of "posing" on occasion. I don't mind the extra attention that comes with riding "fashionable" brands (Ducati, H-D) but I'm not consumed by it.

I stopped attending a lot of "Harley" events because:

A: I'd rather ride than stand around and drink beer.

B: A doo-rag and a goatee doesn't make you a badass.

Typically if I do ride to an event I'll wear my Dainese cordura gear with a Hawaiian shirt underneath and I'll always make sure I'm clean-shaven. That and not having an enormous beer-gut usually allows me to meet some of the more attractive attendees.

Updated delivery news for longride- 2003 FLHTCUI scheduled to be in my garage by Valentine's Day.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:53 AM   #65
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: More praise for the Wing

The 1997 TL1000 was "Bike of the Year" in the same magazine. I guess they just forgot to mention the problems with tank slapping, gas leakage, frame breakage and clutch slipping. You can add to that horrible EFI mapping that made the bike practically unridable under 4000 rpm. Slipped their mind I bet.

Did they mention the persistant overheating problem in that test? That must have slipped their mind also. Honda is very concerned about it, but I guess Cycle World isn't. Haven't seen a word about it in any publication, although I can give you an official Honda acknowledgement of the problem and many angry responses from people that own one, as to why it took them 2 years to own up to it. I guess you missed that one.

I guess you would actually have to know something about motorcycles to know these things. I guess that leaves you out.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:07 AM   #66
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: the Highwayman is a well paid marketing ploy.

I think you need to know what you are talking about before speaking. Harley success can be directly attributed to Wille G. Davidson riding to events and talking to hundreds of thousands of people to ask them what THEY want Harley to be. He then gives them what they want and THAT is how Harley is a success. Current Harley styling is from bikes that are seen at rallies and events and rider's ideas. You don't sell 250,000 motorcycles by sitting in an office "devising plans to exploit American Patriotism". If you knew anything about how the company turned around by embracing new mfg. processes, committing to quality, and designing bikes people want, then you wouldn't spout the BS above. Yes, they do have a marketing plan, as any good business has one, and theirs can be seen by Willie G. still at every rally, and talking to as many customers as he can, and putting that information to use to build products his customers want. I don't see Mr. Honda anywhere. Why don't you give the names of the guys in "blue suits" that devise their marketing plan. You couldn't name one person on Harley's board without looking it up, so please spare us your overview of a company you know nothing about.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:13 AM   #67
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: We appreciate your new attitude longride.

Don't worry, I haven't changed a bit. Your moronic posts will still be toasted a golden brown. If you quest knowledge, or state an opinion, rather than insult, you will get a decent response, as always. Since you can't tell the difference between an insult and an opinion, I doubt you will change much.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:18 AM   #68
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The Roadhouse

If the Japanese have been so successful in the US market, whose fault is that?

I know that the Japanese as a culture are extremely xenophobic. That's no reason for us to be so.

In any case there is at least as much "reason" to blindly hate the Germans as there is the Japanese, maybe more.

And The Highwayman is a racist.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:30 AM   #69
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: We weren't talking about GoldWings but in any case I'll defend the Wing

Perhaps you can post a link pointing him to the nearest mental health center.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:07 AM   #70
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Re: could it be him?

Fer shizzle