Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #31
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I've never really understood the whole cruiser thing

I think some take this Highwayman stuff too seriously. I'm guessing it's a bit tongue in cheek when written but I've been wrong before.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 PM   #32
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: E-H Vs. Royal Star Feedback

I see you guys dropped the 'Ol Highway Man"s post. Although I am guilty of responding to this mumble mumble mumble.... I thank you. I think his time, and his originality had hit it's peak. Just curious, can we assume that we will not see the THM anymore? Please? We really all need to get along, and at least KPaul will bend from time to time. ( ;
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:49 PM   #33
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Ooops, spoke too soon, it's baaack..

Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:50 PM   #34
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default instant heritage

I think the best idea E-H had was buying a nostalgic old brand name to slap on their new bikes. I've been saying for 20 years that Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki should do the same thing. The big 4 make great cruisers, but as long as they put their own names on the tank, too many will say they are just cheap rip-offs (Atrocity Cycles?). The big 4 already make bikes in the US with US workers. Now they need to learn from E-H and Triumph and buy some heritage. If the tank says Excelsior or ACE, most people won't care who really makes it. Most people don't remember what the old bikes looked like, so the old names could be slaped on anything to give them instant heritage. Most cruiser riders would take it at face value and be happy that they were riding a real American motorcycle.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:50 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Maybe you don't understand motorcycles.

I only need you to answer one question to answer "why anyone would want a Harley".

Why would anyone buy a fully loaded GoldWing from Honda for 21,000+, when one can buy an Accord from the same company for the same price and have more safety, a superior sound system, air conditioning, heater, room for 5, more luggage space, superior weather protection, less maintenance, and can drive in in any weather rain, shine, cold or snow? If you can answer that question, then you know why someone would want a Harley.

Simple as that.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:58 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default He isn't carrying your flag

He won't face flames for anything he said. All he did was ask a question and state his opinion. No insults hurled like some other posters (hint hint). Nobody has a problem with anyone that doesn't like Harleys. I have a problem with people insulting other people over their choice of ride, or talking about shyt they know nothing about (hint hint). Nobody is going to flame him the way you get flamed. You deserve it. He doesn't.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:01 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Cry woof!

No KPaul. I am not the Hman. He can write much better than I. I have a more direct approach. The Hman is on other boards, and I had seen his stuff LONG before he posted here. Another case of me having more knowledge than you. Nothing new there.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:40 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Maybe you don't understand motorcycles.

Don't forget that the Accord handles better and with the V-6 will get around a mountain road faster than a Goldwing.

Hmmmm..... what was that about cost/performance?
Old 01-04-2003, 08:03 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: I've never really understood the whole cruiser thing

Much is made of cost/performance. The error is in not first determining the level of performance that the customer desires.

Many people just like to cruise on a bike, along city streets or the highway, and have no desire to scrape footpegs or do 160mph.

So the question then becomes "what bike meets the customers performance requirement?" In this case an initially expensive Harley will meet the performance requirement. It's cost will be less in the long run because of the lack of depreciation. After all how many Japanese or German bikes would have sold for $4000 in 1981 and resold for $9000 in 2001? Answer= absolutely none.

Cost/performance considerations are completely subjective and are not some sort of objective proof of superiority as some seem to believe. It is an arbitrary invented by those who feel some sort of desire to justify their purely subjective choice.

Another facet of the "cost/performance" concept includes the people who whine and moan about SUVs on this site. They complain about how no one "needs" a big gas guzzling behemouth to transport themselves to work. Well, no one "needs" a Ducati 999, a Hayabusa or a CBR600 to transport themselves to work either. These days it is the irresponsible geeks wheelieing down the interstate and wiping themselves out along Mulholland who bring the most scrutiny from the anti-motorcycle safety-nazis onto us. The Japanese had to adopt informal top speed limits to avoid govt regulation. The last thing we need is govt scrutiny. They've proposed HP limits before.

Why can't we all just get along?
Old 01-04-2003, 08:13 AM   #40
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Buy American? Buy a Goldwing (tm)

Remember, there's more american in a Goldwing.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote