Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-08-2003, 03:06 AM   #251
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: Vette-powered MGTF

Nothing but a stock TF that I bought for $800 back in 64. Had a Chevy 265 in it and 3 speed on the floor. Firewall cut for 14 inches of engine setback. 50-50 weight distribution with my butt against the rear axle. I built a blueprinted 327-375hp that I traded a truck 283 for becuase the hot motor had parted with a rod. Later I added a Chysler Torqueflite using an honest charley adaptor. MGA coupe front suspension, Healy rear, 60 spoke Healy wheels. Maybe $3000 invested ina Cobra killer. Performance cost ratio was GOOD! Fun/cost ratio was PRICELESS!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2003, 03:40 AM   #252
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: E-H: It's not a classic

Ride one; then reevaluate your post.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:26 AM   #253
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Fat Boy vs. Royal Star Comparo, by Cruiz-Euro

I cant compare H-E to Royal Star but I can pretty well compare Fat Boy to Royal Star, the previous being current and RS the previous ride. Here it goes:

- RS is (surprisingly) much bigger and is super solid on long rides - HD better in town, well, er, because not as incredibly big

- HD has better and lower seat

- RS has better footrests of solid aluminium. They have steel pins that make cool sparks in the dark.

- HD has steel pressed things that sound like scraping an empty can to asphalt when cornering too tight (which is three times on the way to work). This is actually my biggest complaint so it proves the bike has no big flaws.

- RS has better front brakes, probably because two disks in front

- Both are incredibly slow slugs as stock. I hate stoplights standing there like a moron next to a 1200 Bandit.

- HD has super good looking chromed engine, big plus.

- Both sides of RS look equally good as also left has two pipes

- HD has nice slick front fender. I just hate the deep-scoop “heritage retro” look what RS's fender has.

- HD’s aluminium wheels are how God intended them

- Originally my biggest complaint with the RS was the lack of storage space; even my friend on a 650 V-Star was able to carry rain gear, all I could squeeze was rain pants and small bottle of suntan lotion. HD has absolutely nothing, not even a key-opening saddle. Sorry but this is *****.

My verdict: ride town, by Fat Boy, ride country buy Royal Star. If you do both I would say RS has an edge. If they were the same price, that is. RS was cheaper new, in addition it has steeper depreciation rate => what some guys have paid over the sticker for HD you get a used as-good-as if not better Royal Star.

-cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:26 PM   #254
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: E-H Vs. Royal Star Feedback

I enjoyed that Mr. Simpson took the time-and-effort and to provide his report.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #255
jsimpson
Founding Member

I'll do a comparo in the future on my BMW 100RT and my EH.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:46 AM   #256
anrajala
Founding Member

John, how about a comparo on used evo and E-H? When the guys made the E-H they had HD in their rifle scope, would be interesting if they succeeded in the qualities compartment. In quality they obviously did not.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:26 AM   #257
FX1200
Registered Member

Default Re: The Highway Man Rides to Sturgis

Bool Chit!!!!

The Highwayman does not drive a japcrap car to tow his HD!

He uses a Chevy Vega; real American iron!

FX1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:40 PM   #258
jsimpson
Founding Member

I recently sold my last Harley, a 1996 Heritage Softail. I also had an 88 FLHS, a 95 Sporty 1200 and an 86 Sporty 883. The EH has the weight of the big twin, but the manners of the Sporty. The EH requires that you keep the revs higher than a Harley. Vibration is similar, low end torque is similar. From 3000 rpm the EH is MUCH stronger. The EH gears feel more like a V-Max shifting ('cause basically they are!). The EH is a little heavier in low speed steering because of the trailing link front end, but extremely stable at higher speeds. Never a hint of death wobble. The EH feels better in the twisties. The EH exhaust sounds more like a Honda V-Twin than a Harely though. The EH fuel injection is much better than Harleys FI or carb. The EH frame is much more robust. The EH has a lot greater percentage of American part content than the Harley (for those who care). The EH is much more fun to ride at all speeds to this rider! EH values are climbing, so it may even bring a better return on your money than a Harley. But I've never lost money on a Harley either.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:42 AM   #259
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: the Highwayman is a well paid marketing ploy.

"I think they just peruse the Harley catalog from last year and make as close a copy as possible."

Take a look at the release timing for the VTX, R.S. Warrior, and Mean Streak. They were all announced before the V-Rod.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:44 PM   #260
jsimpson
Founding Member

Thanks; since writing the article (for which I did not even get a free subscription! MO is CHEAP!), I sold the Royal Star and replaced it with a 97 BMW R1100RT. Great bike; competent in every respect! In the EH, I installed H-5 cams, loaded the Monster tune, built, ceramic-coated, and installed a 2-into-1 Supertrapp, and painted the tank and fenders candy apple red. Before installing the Monster Tune (which raised the rev limit from 5500 to 6500), I held third place in the TC88 class in AMI's Brute HP Shootout during Bike Week until the last day when the "dyno ringers" rolled off their trailers and onto the dyno. Then I had fun on the street playing with rice rockets up to 900cc because the cruisers offered no competition. Unfortunately, I offered no competition for the Hayabusas, one of which posted 468hp at the shootout!!! All in all, the Super-X has taken it's place firmly as my number 1 bike.