Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-07-2003, 12:40 AM   #221
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Heritage is bull

Longride, I see ethical behaviour very rational, and also, well, ethical.

But what does this phony heritage thing have? On the other hand you say you cant buy heritage, on the other you say if you buy harley you buy heritage.

Then, what is that the customers get for this "heritage" premium? That their bike will have a soul? Opposed to all the others, which have been produced by same kind of production processes, but still manage not to have any soul? Sorry sir, but looks like a lot of bull to me.

All those MBAs in H-D marketing have done their job incredibly smartly. Hats off to them. They have created an intangible value that many customers are prepared to believe and pay for. In no other consumer goods segment that I can think of people pay 30% extra for "heritage".

I have a 2002 Fat Boy. Its made in Brazil and I am an European so I am worried if I count as one of the bare chested hearty muscular hooray henries the Highway Man is driveling about.

Anyways the bike is not bad but is it better than my previous Royal Star? I think technically score goes fifty-fifty (at most, probably a bit less), but as Yamaha's heritage is only 50 years and H-D's 100, obviously H-D's value is double.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2003, 12:47 AM   #222
anrajala
Founding Member

Default and wonder why is that

>EH support community is much stronger,

>more useful, and more technically oriented

> than the Royal Star community.

The reason for this is not the dealership network like you suspect, John. The reason is that Royal Star has nothing going wrong with it. Not at all! I had one and it went forever like a sewing machine. OK so it needed regular carb cleaning due to accumulating gunk (bad gas).

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:55 AM   #223
DialedIN
Founding Member

Default Re: E-H Vs. Royal Star Feedback

Ok the day I read your/this artical, I also see a RS palamio for sale on Ebay, and the guy also has a E-H. Are you from Florida? Or are there two people out there with a E-H and a RS palamio?
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:48 AM   #224
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Here is my next bike:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...how_dodge_dc_1
Old 01-07-2003, 03:05 AM   #225
jsimpson
Founding Member

My Palomino is for sale. It's gorgeous, but not exciting. I replaced it with a BMW 100RT.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:10 AM   #226
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: and wonder why is that

RS's tend to have a loud rear end noise. I cured that with Amsoil racing synthetic gear oil. The carbs tend to sludge up more than any bike I've had. I had 'em cleaned. But the most trouble-free bike I ever had was my 96 Heritage Softail.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:15 AM   #227
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: Excelsior Henderson

I'm selling my RS and bought a BMW 100RT to replace it. The X, I'll keep. With the tranny rebushed, Bobby's air cleaner/throttle bracket, the enricher circuit added, and a couple of things I designed myself, it's now a GREAT street bike. A little windy on the log haul though, hence the beemer.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:21 AM   #228
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: Excelsior Henderson

The tranny is basically a V-Max tranny but with pressure lube added. It is a well-proven strong tranny design. A factory recall WOULD have been required to re-bush the trannies and add an oil pickup tube. It wasn't tranny design that is killing the tranny, but selection of bushing material and sloppy assembly. Re-bushed correctly, the tranny is solid as a rock. No reported failures of re-bushed trannies except for one early re-bush with factory bushing material. The oil pickup tube addition is needed to ensure oil delivery while idling on the sidestand.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:24 AM   #229
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: San Diego to Chicago.

Chicago weather sucks. Riding a Shovelhead here makes perfect sense. Ride for six months and then fix it for six months. Actually I try to ride my bikes all year round if it's above freezing. This year has been pretty good and it's going to make it up to 50 tomorrow. Did I mention that I hate Buzglyd?
Old 01-07-2003, 03:27 AM   #230
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: the Highwayman is a well paid marketing ploy.

Most do; some can fool ya'. Apparently with Bobby's cams, and EH gets a much deeper exhaust sound. I'm getting his cams.