Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-06-2003, 02:47 AM   #111
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: the Highwayman is a well paid marketing ploy.

I think they just peruse the Harley catalog from last year and make as close a copy as possible. How do you think everything they make ends up looking like a Harley? They don't so company research, they do company cloning!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2003, 02:55 AM   #112
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Heritage is bull

Geez, wouldn't a rational guy marry a woman for her money, cheat on her because he could get away with it, sucker his friends and business partners out of as much cash as he could legally, lie for his own benefit, and be sure that you got yours before anyone else got theirs. To do anything less would be a sucker. Who said we were all "rational" anyway? If you were REALLY rational you would invest the money and make more instead of buying a motorcyle that won't be worth crap in a few years.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:20 AM   #113
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Think they include a ghoulish laugh too?

Considering I'm a businessman, I'd like to be enlightened on some of these "universal truths."

I've only got 20 employees right now but I can't wait to become a big business so I can start screwing people over!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:23 AM   #114
mike_root
Founding Member

Default Re: E-H Vs. Royal Star Feedback

Hey! Congratulations! You just selected the two bikes I'd least like to read about!

This confirms my recent decision...
mike_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:33 AM   #115
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Gee, no link this time?

You know I agree with longride on this one. There is not one H-D rider on the planet that thinks his bike is faster than a Japanese sportbike or GoldWing for that matter. Although, if the owner chooses, he can easily build his H-D to put out more than 100 hp and torque due to the simple mechanicals and huge aftermarket. Do I wish that kind of power was available at the time of sale? Yes but since sales haven't slowed down the extra sales of hop-up items keep shareholders happy.

I'll give you some anecdotal evedence to further longride's point about repairs. When I worked in the motorcycle shop a fellow salesman's R1 lost second gear (yes, Japanese bikes break!) His bike was down several months while they waited for the correct parts to arrive (and he could come up with the money, BIG money). You see, the entire engine had to be removed to perform this service.

There's an old saying in the motorcycle world KPaul-san: "If you think working on a Harley is expensive, try dropping a Honda."

I'll tell you what. When you go to sell or trade your Ninja for something new, I'll ride my Harley to Seattle just so I can see the look on your face when you're offered $2500 for it!

I predict you'll be trading it for a Ducati ST4s w/ ABS.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:23 AM   #116
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Riding Story

Actually Buz you shouldn't get that Ultra. POS it is. I meet guys with Wings and we ride together. At one stop I had this conversation:

WingRider "Hey man, remember when we rolled it on from 60 to 80 near the 120 mile marker?"

Me: "Yeah"

WingRider "Did you know it only took me 5.9 seconds to do that and it took you 6.71?"

Me: "Yeah, I know and after that point I wanted to quit riding forever and shoot myself in the head I was so depressed. I didn't care about the beautiful weather, scenery, the ride, or the good time I was having, all I cared about was those numbers. Nothing in the world matters to me anymore after you just said that."

Wingrider: "Another thing. Remember when we pulled out of the gas stop an hour ago, and gassed it real hard?"

Me: "Yeah"

WingRider: "Well I did that first quarter mile in 12.78 seconds and was going 103 mph and you took 13.54 seconds and were only going 96.5"

Me: "I know that. Even though the speed limit is 65, I was so down in the dumps after that I wanted to stop and take the gas out of the tank and burn myself alive and take that crappy bike with me. I don't know how I can go on living after such horrible acts. I have no use to live and you need to go on without me, as life is nothing anymore."

WingRider: "You do know that those numbers are the only reason to ride, and nothing else really matters, right"

Me: "You are just trying to get me to commit suicide. Do you think I could be as smart and wonderful as you KPaul, if I sold this crappy Harley bought a superior GoldWing?"

WingRider: "Nah, this is my first bike and I already have 2,000 miles on it. What makes you think you can be as smart as me?"

Me: "True, I have only ridden hundreds of thousands of miles, owned and ridden hundreds of bikes over 35 years, rebuilt 3 bikes from the ground up, and can't post links worth a crap. What would I know? I guess the real respect you get in motorcycling is not what you know, or what your experience is, mileage ridden, or mechanical knowledge but how many links you can post! I think I just saw GOD! The true path to intelligence is ignorance! The true happiness in motorcycling is numbers! And true experience is through other people! I have gone down the wrong path all my life. The only way to redeem myself is to have a lobotomy and buy a superior Japanese motorcycle, and then I can be as smart as you KPaul. You are my hero!"

WingRider: "I know! Now can you please help me put the gas in my tank, again. I can't figure out how to do it."
Old 01-06-2003, 04:43 AM   #117
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: We appreciate your new attitude longride.

Tilting at windmills again, I see.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:50 AM   #118
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Riding Story

I'm sitting here laughing out loud at my computer screen and my 5 year old son thinks I'm crazy.

I can just see ol' KP riding around Seattle with his tankbag stuffed full of magazines dog-eared for quick reference.

You know, I didn't realize the smile I had on my face during the 35,000 miles I put on my Low Rider was a farce. My pearly whites weren't anything more than glorified bug catchers! Now I know I was totally unhappy the entire time. I coulda had an R1!

Tell Mr Wing that he'd better make sure he puts plenty of gas in that tank. That 7/10ths of a second in the quarter mile means he'll only get mileage in the low 30s while my rattling, underpowered, antique Electra Glide (Delivery Feb 14th!) returns mileage in the mid to upper 40s.

I owe you a beer for that post but you'll have to collect it in San Diego. I saw the weather back East watching football. We've got upper 70s today.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:50 AM   #119
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: We weren't talking about GoldWings but in any case I'll defend the Wing

You got it wrong, Buz, Kook is crazy enough to be a psychiatrist.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 AM   #120
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: The Highway Man Rides to Sturgis

My company is based in Grand Junction so as you might imagine I am a constant thorn in the sides of my business partners and our employees.