Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-05-2003, 06:29 PM   #101
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: The Highway Man Rides to Sturgis

'Since Elway's retirement, there is little reason to keep cheering for the Broncos, " Sadly I am the same boat. Don't like Griese. Don't like the Seahawks. Looking for another team to root for. However, as a Colorado native I am prohibited by state law for rooting for the Raiders
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2003, 07:36 PM   #102
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: The Roadhouse

LOL
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 07:44 PM   #103
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: The Roadhouse

Man! The good reading's in the responses to the HiwayFruit more than the original post. You guys are killing me!
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:10 PM   #104
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Now that's talent!

Thanks, rscheidler!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:53 PM   #105
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Re: The Highway Man Rides to Sturgis

CLASSIC ! The best thing I've read here in a long time.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:22 AM   #106
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Heritage is bull

A rational guy looks for a machine for its virtues. All this heritage bull is for suckers. You pay over the sticker just to get brand? Your bike has "soul"? Sure thing and leos get on well with capricorns. Anyone for aromatherapy?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:25 AM   #107
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Take 2 One more time longride.

Yes, it will sell for 95% of it's value. Whether it's to you makes no difference, as that is a juvenile response. I already proved that the cheaper Japanese bike ends up MORE EXPENSIVE in the long run by virtue of depreciation and difficult maintenance. Then there is the classic styling, rebuildability, ease of maintenance, endless aftermarket support, unique function and feel that is all Harley. If all you want is to put in the gas and turn the key, but a Honda. It would be a good choice for someone that can't even change his spark plugs.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:30 AM   #108
xandvphyle
Registered Member

Default Excelsior Henderson

I owned 1842, a 2000 Super X. I bought it in November of 1999 and sold it in Sept of 2002. I put a little over 10k miles on a bike that was down for 26 months of the 34 I owned it. Still, I thought it was the neatest bike i ever owned. I put over 9k more than the original purchase price tying to "preserve it." It was and is truly a unique bike. The problem is that it is flawed in the design and the result. The transmission being the major problem. There is a guy in the midwest who probably experienced a freeze up and may or may not be lucky to be alive. When going to sell this bike to any one else, conscience has to be you guide. I was lucky in that i had mine priced so low that a "dealer/fixer" of the X's bought it. Great bunch that are trying to keep it afloat, but if you buy one, make sure you know about the pit falls. Be prepared to have some frustrations. There are only 1800 or so out there and the fraternity is building. I think the most disapointing thing about the whole deal is when the problem was discovered at the factory about the tranny, they bailed. I understand that was a business decision, but tell it to the guys, gals that had their transmissions lock up in third and nearly get hurt or killed or worse.
xandvphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:38 AM   #109
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: We weren't talking about GoldWings but in any case I'll defend the Wing

"Your Goldwing lost half it's value in four years? Hmmmm, wouldn't have been because of the 80,000 miles, would it? "

No, actually the mileage had little to do with it's value. If you knew anything about GoldWing prices you would know that.

"You can sell a 1976 Superglide for ten grand? Not to me you can't."

Yes, I can sell it for probably more than 10 grand. It's not even for sale and have had offers for as much. Not being able to sell it to you really doesn't matter does it? I don't remember asking you to buy it. Why you would say something like that is beyond me.

"I do know about motorcycles and I don't pay that much money when I can get something far superior for the price."

Superior in what way?

"Also, not every factor in buying a motorcycle is emotional. Not even close. I don't know about you but I have to consider praticality, price, etc..."

If you really considered all those things you would buy a car or invest the money. Motorcycles are discretionary income purchases. That means they are not a necessity. Bottom line is, dont' spend the kid's college savings on a motorcycle.

"Finally, buying a motorcycle over a car is not illogical if what you want is a motorcycle. "

But it is illogical for a vehicle choice, as a car is a practical and needed vehicle. A motorcycle is a plaything and nothing more. Do you only own a motorcycle and not a car? If you don't then the bike is a plaything. Just be honest.

"I can tell that you know a lot about bikes and it would be sad if you thought all this was simply about transportation."

If you are going to connect logic to any motorcycle purchase, you are already on the wrong track. I found any bike I purchased for practical purposes, I wasn't happy with for very long. I was most happy with bikes I wanted very badly, but certainly weren't the most practical. If you get somethign just because of the price, you end up longing for the one you really wanted to buy. Certainly a Honda Nighthawk is more practical and cheaper than a Honda VTX. Why would anyone then buy a VTX? Can you see my point?
Old 01-06-2003, 03:44 AM   #110
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Think they include a ghoulish laugh too?

Actually a "cold hearted business plan" is one that discounts a motorcycle they made right after you bought it, or completely redesigns their product every year, yet sells it at the same or lower price, making yours worthless. I saw a guy on the R6 thread that is already sorry he bought his bike last year. Go over there and read it. I was always wondering why "universal facts" never extend to the Japanese companies. I guess they don't exist in the "universe".