Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Meanwhile back in Espana... 2003 YZF-R6 First Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1504-meanwhile-back-espana-2003-yzf-r6-first-ride.html)

KPaulCook 12-28-2002 11:22 AM

Huh you say Price/performance is bad for this bike (R6)??

I guess I would disagree on the passion part.

My Ninja has a very passionate howl as I pass the posers of both V-Twin and Parrallel Twins variety. ;)

As far as utility one could agrue than inline 4 standard bikes from Japan are great buys. Bikes like the Honda Nighthawk.

When folks say character it usually a code word from cruiser types to mean they want a Harley but in your case it sounds like you are an Anglophile. However, from a price/performance point a Bonneville is weak. The intagibles of styling is personal taste not anything measurable.

Jexter 12-28-2002 11:35 AM

Re: Meanwhile back in Espana... 2003 YZF-R6 First Ride

Dude, Dave, he's been chasing you around with this post for a couple days now. And you STILL haven't tapped the mat? I mean, if somebody points at a post this much, it's gotta be pretty darn right.

C'mon man, just admit defeat.

;)

Jexter 12-28-2002 11:37 AM

rossbiker 12-28-2002 07:21 PM

Price and Performance are just two factors of several...

And neither is the most important factor in evaluating a bike.

Passion is indeed an issue of personal taste, which is why there are so many bikes selling that aren't at the top of the price/performance curve and why performance is just one of many factors that goes into a purchase decision. Passion is the most important factor in buying a bike. If you love the bike, get it. If you don't, you're wasting your time.

BTW, the Nighthawk is utilitarian but does not have a lot of utility. The PC800 has incredible amounts of utility. The Nighthawk loses points for weak luggage options. And then proceeds to lose all of the points for passion. The PC800 also brings no passion.

As for being an anglophile, I'll admit that I like most of Triumph's recent offerings and feel that many are a pleasant departure from the cookie cutters that have dominated the US market for so long. Then they came out with the TT600 and I sobbed. The speed four slightly redeems the engine with some panache but still...

The Bonneville and the Sprint ST are just calling to me. I've known I wanted a sport tourer for years now and have kept saying that I'll buy the VFR but just kept putting it off. I saw ST4's and the Aprilia Futura but still no joy. Then about six months ago, someone pointed out an ST with panniers and I went weak in the knees. I saw a bike that I was instantly passionate about and I will have one by April, just in time for my birthday.

The Bonneville is appearing in two weeks...

Regards,

Ross

dwr461 12-28-2002 07:46 PM

Re: Nobody does it better thanks MO...the death of the V-Twin continues (749 & Firebo

I am not wrong I still believe you to a be bigot. Nut now I also think you're an insane bigot.

Dabe

KPaulCook 12-28-2002 09:29 PM

Loosen up

Whatever LOL I give you opinions and you call me names whatever. Don't feel bad Longride does the same thing when he gets backed in corner. Buz is a little better. Better luck next time. :) Don't take this too seriously, it's only motorcycles. By the way I love Triumphs as well as Hondas, Kawasakis, Yamahas and Suzukis. So I guess that makes me a duo-bigot :)

KPaulCook 12-28-2002 09:35 PM

Excellent Post

"Passion is indeed an issue of personal taste, which is why there are so many bikes selling that aren't at the top of the price/performance curve and why performance is just one of many factors that goes into a purchase decision. Passion is the most important factor in buying a bike. If you love the bike, get it. If you don't, you're wasting your time. " Great point. I also have a soft spot for the Bonneville. I wish Triumph would build a smaller triple than the Daytona. I agree the TT600 is mistake and I believe it is an excersse in futility. I do admire Triumphs commitment to quality and technology. I wish a certain American company would learn.

KPaulCook 12-28-2002 09:39 PM

LOL. That's funny.

KPaulCook 12-28-2002 09:52 PM

Did you forget "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday"

"All the squids want litre bikes now even though the aforementioned squid would be much faster on a 750.. Manufacturers don't like to race what they can't sell (which explains the demise of the two-stroke in racing). "

I disagree with this point a little. Let's say Kawaski put out a 800 cc bike that starts winning Super bike races. Are telling me it wouldn't sell. It seems like you are challanging the old "Race on Sunday Sell on Monday" You seem to think it should be reversed. Interesting but I actually am considering the 750 for my next bike. Why? I think it might be the balance I am looking for. After following a Duc 998 the other day I realize my 600 was lacking in torque coming out of the corners. A litre bike seems a little extreme. No pun intended.

Buzglyd 12-29-2002 05:27 AM

Re: Price and Performance are just two factors of several...

Ross, as an owner of a 2000 ST4, my prediction is you will absolutely love it. I've got a little more than 16,000 miles on mine and it has been pure joy.

In fact, when I pick up my 2003 Electra Glide in January, the Ducati will remain in the garage.