Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Pirelli Diablo Tire Test (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1500-pirelli-diablo-tire-test.html)

captainwhoopass 12-20-2002 05:21 AM

Re: Tires and Wheels of a Harley

No, I think it's a Ruckus.

staff 12-20-2002 05:45 AM

Re: Pirelli Diablo Tire Test

We did? No no, Sean wasn't the "Hack" on the devil suit, that was a Pirelli employee!

staff 12-20-2002 05:45 AM

Re: Boba Fet or the Rocketeer?

Dunno, someone that works for Pirelli...

jamesohoh7 12-20-2002 06:02 AM

That's my guess too. I have a set of the M1's and they are great!.. no complaints, and likely won't have any.

The Pirelli's rear tire tread bears a striking resemblance to the M1 at first glance. If you compare the changes they made to the Dragon EVO vs. the Rensport (one n or two?) from which it is derived, the Pirelli's have a little more angular grooves, like these new tires appear to have as well.

I would say that the diablo front seems to have more grooves in it than the M1 front though... better wet-traction I guess.

-James

Huss 12-20-2002 06:42 AM

Cute fluff piece

Ya know I never imagined that you would write anything bad about them, but how about rounding up a whole bunch of tires and doing a comparison test? Otherwise is just reads like ad copy.

BostonDuck 12-20-2002 06:43 AM

OK. Thanks...and no offense to Sean - wouldn't want him to think anyone was accusing HIM of being a hack(..or wearing the "Devil" suit and horns on the track)

rsheidler 12-20-2002 07:11 AM

Metzeler is a subsidiary of Pirelli, and most are made in the same factory. I don't know about this specific tire, but in many (most?) cases, there are virtually identical versions for each brand -- usually just slightly different tread patterns.

Bob

Buzglyd 12-20-2002 07:18 AM

I'm a little disappointed with this effort

I gotta say the latest Highwayman installment wasn't very good. I'm sitting here watching the rain pour down and was expecting a much better effort.

Perhaps the Highwayman is losing his edge......

gooseman_1 12-20-2002 07:36 AM

Re: Check out the

Right on! I much prefer frequent motorcycle-ralated updates than "wirry, not an once of fatty" for 2 weeks straight. Bring on the content! (& video)

rsheidler 12-20-2002 07:41 AM

Excellent report.

I am glad to see more tires in this catagory -- ones which work well on the track but which are still suitable for road use. True DOT race tires are dangerous for use on the road.

Several years ago, when the Pilots were first introduced, I tried a set for a track day, and loved them. I left them on my 900SS Duc for riding on the twisties in the Utah Rockies. Once warmed up, they stuck really well, but at higher elevations, the road surface was cold enough that they would cool down on even very short straights. This is scary as hell -- having really good grip on one corner and snot on the next!

Personally, I think DOT labels on race tires is a farce -- I can't believe that the DOT allows most of these tires to carry that label.

Bob