Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-09-2002, 06:37 AM   #21
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 749 -- Not An Ounce of Fatty

I understand your point, but realistically, if you had your choice of testing a new Yamakawazuki cruiser somewhere in southern California, or flying to Spain, all expenses paid, to ride Ducatis on great roads with reasonable (and largely unenforced) speed limits, with a chance to drink good wine and check out the beautiful local girls, what would you do?
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2002, 06:53 AM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Death of the V-Twin in Racing continued

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/08dec...ortesting.html
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:44 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quit whining! None of the MO testing staff like cruisers, at least that's how it appears from their testing comments. Burns obviously has nothing but contempt for cruisers and the people who ride them.

They'll test one once in a while, like throwing a bone to a dog, to keep the subscriptions rolling in, but you won't see many tests of them. After all, how can you enjoy motorcycling unless you are constantly whiteknuckling?

Cruisers simply don't rate on the cost/performance curve.

Only 73 more days until my subscription runs out!

Old 12-09-2002, 08:56 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Death of the V-Twin in Racing continued

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... (sound of trolling motor)......rrrrrrrrrrrr...
Old 12-09-2002, 09:12 AM   #25
VFRider
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati 749 -- Not An Ounce of Fatty BUT * UGLY *

No idea. Sorry.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:01 AM   #26
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Death of the V-Twin in Racing continued

For what its worth, I also understand that there will likely be at least one CBR954 running in WSB -- IF they (WSB) get off their collective ass and finalize the new restrictor rules -- this is likely a similar deal to Chandler's here -- a non-factory deal, but likely with some backdoor support.

On the other hand, I suspect that the Vtwin has life left in it in Superbike -- in testing at Valencia this past weekend, Hodgson and Xause were running the new 999 Ducati at times quicker than Nicky did with the RCV last week -- also faster than Olivier Jacques on the M1 Yamaha. If fact, I believe that Troy Bayliss has yet to get his V4 Duc down to his 998 WSB times.

My point is that at most tracks where both GP and WSB bikes have raced or tested, the 998 and RC51 have been within 0.5-1.0 of the best GP times, and certainly any production-based 1000cc 4 will likely also be somewhat slower than the 990 GP bikes. I believe that initially, the twins will be faster than the 1000 4s(although possibly not faster than EBoz on his AMA spec 800 Kawasaki), but after a transition (probably by 2004 season), I bet that it will be a pretty even playing field -- with the best rider/best team winning, regardless of configuration.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 02:12 PM   #27
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Was it just me?

I've got a '02 SV650(mine) and a '02 Monster 620 Dark(hers) in the garage right now. What do you want to know about them?

The SV is much more upright, with narrower bars, and more softly sprung. The motor stomps above 6k

The Ducati feels much more solid, but wider and lower. The motor is much smoother throughout the rpms than the SV, with no flat spots.

The Monster gets way more attention than the SV anywhere we go.

Ask questions. I'd be happy to comment.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 07:54 AM   #28
SR
Registered Member

Sorry, this was meant to be a reply to another message. I was refering to the picture that covered some of the text in this article. In IE, if you make the text big, it is no longer covered. I don't know if the problem has been fixed by now.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 08:07 AM   #29
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Having sat on the back of the 999 after having a 996 for a few years I can tell you that I wish I had a few extra $'s for the purchase of a 749. The syling is growing on me and the seat/bar ergos are much better than a 998. You might actually ride this bike somewhere besides the track or track like roads.

I sold my 996 to start racing and miss my Ducati. Maybe a 749 will fill the void.

Tom #737

"One more bike and my wife said she'd leave.", "That was two bikes ago"
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:49 AM   #30
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Why don't you just rename this online rag, Ducati Online.com
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote