Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-03-2002, 10:15 PM   #81
waller
Founding Member

Default Re: The Age-Hardened Burns: Part I Reader Feedback

I truly try to ignore political hype in tech magazines (in other words, Car & Driver's gung ho editorialists) but the Boehm thing came, well, out of right field. So I sent him a note: " Bye." They were getting dull anyway. Wonder why?

Mark G
waller is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2002, 03:30 AM   #82
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default similar to 'claimed' vs. 'said'...

... is the choice of the word 'victim' in reporting battlefield casualties vs. simply 'K.I.A.' or something that accurately reflects the fact that battlefield combatants are just that, soldiers. Whether they were pressed into service by an evil dictator is another matter (they are free to give up, as so many did in the Gulf War).

A 'victim' is someone who is affected/afflicted through no real fault/action/involvement of their own accord. The folks killed in the 9/11 horror were victims in every sense of the word. To say a soldier killed in combat is a 'victim' of the enemy is really quite misleading and points out that the 'storyteller' (because that is really what so many journalists are) apparently dislikes the battle itself and wants to cast it in whatever light they see fit.

Noticing this in word choices like 'claimed', 'said', or 'victim' is called reading between the lines. You would be surprized how much of this goes on in the media (note that I did not say 'liberal' media, just 'media'... it is there from all sides... so put your flamethrowers down).

-James

p.s.: spelling/grammar/punctuation errors intentionally left as entertainment for the reader so you can feel good about yourself for pointing them out instead of disputing real points
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:05 AM   #83
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!.. oh man, you don't know how true that is! ... actually, you probably do know as I gather from your previous posts that you did some time in college (well, it felt like doing time to me in Graph Theory... where the books are all written by a guy with only one name... but I digress). Anyway.. judging by the journo's I knew in collge, well, let us just say that if I we wind up seeing them on the 'tube spouting "enlightened views", well, I'll just have to stop and laugh harder... "South Park" has more enlightened views methinks.

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:00 AM   #84
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Soon my subscription will run out.....

.....and I'll not darken the doors of this website any more. Burns, I was one of the people who was really excited about your coming to MO. After a few months of your lunatic ravings, I'm just disgusted. Motorcyclist is my favorite bike magazine. And obviously the reason I didn't realize what an idiot you are was because Boehm managed to keep you somewhat under control (with Paxil?). If you wrote the kind of mindless drivel for Cycle that you write here, I've no doubt they would can your a$$ also.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:10 AM   #85
reepicheep
Founding Member

I respect your opinion and enjoy your writing JohnnyB, but I think you have the "bias" thing wrong.

Fact: (as pointed out elsewhere on this thread and reported on NPR as I recall) 90% of people in the Journalistic / Entertainment field vote Democrat.

What I believe is happening is that the journalists have a natural and complete grasp of the liberal view of most issues. They resonate within them and match their worldviews and preconceptions.

When a liberal idea hits their desk, they understand it and articulate it very well, already have a good grasp of the underlying facts, and can quickly write up a story that accurately captures their liberal democratic world view.

They typically fail to agree with and completely understand conservative views, issues, and positions. They try to report on them, and they really do try to be accurate and unbiased, but they just don't do as good a job.

Thats why I think the whole "balanced and unbiased" is a terrible way to run reporting. There should be reporting done by advocates of issues, and they should be held to factual reporting, but not unbiased reporting. They should defend the postion they believe in, report the facts they have, and leave the other position to somebody that believes it.

There are conservative media outlets (Rush, Wash Times, Fox News), but if you really sit down and look at the number of eyeballs they get compared to the majority of national media outlets (CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, USA Today, NYTimes, LA Times, just about every major Hollywood movieetc etc etc) the balance of power is clearly off the scale towards the liberal view.

Think of it this way. Ask a cruiser guy to write a fair and unbalanced review of a Yamaha R6. He will say it's twitchy, dangerous, uninteresting, uncomfortable, and generally all around annoying. Ask the sportbike guy to review a Harley big twin. He will say it's ponderous, unreliable, expensive, slow, and booring.

They are both factually correct, but could not be more wrong.

reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:28 AM   #86
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

I suppose one at a time ain't bad....
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:58 AM   #87
redrooster077
Founding Member

Burns is right. But I'd like to take up a point he makes, "no longer among the living because of motorcycles", he says. The truth as I have seen it is that these people are no longer with us because of stupidity. Letting ego outrun experience is one example of said stupidity. These same people would have, through sheer stupidity, ended their lives somehow. Guns, airplanes, butane, and motorcycles are all devices to hasten one's end if stupidity is but one part of the equation.

Best regards,

Dave
redrooster077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:06 AM   #88
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Just the facts, ma'am

Quite possibly true -- figures I have heard are somewhat lower, but still a clear majority. On the other hand, the clear majority of owners and senior managers of media outlets vote Republican, and, I suspect, editors fall somewhere between. What we read, see or hear is influenced by all of these.

I am less concerned with the bias of individual reporters -- usually whatever bias they have is quickly understood, so one can filter what is "spin" from the rest. What I am more concerned with is what issues/stories get covered. In the case of the networks (national as well as local affiliates), it appears that this determination is based totally on getting ratings -- I doubt that political bias has anything to do with it. As a result, there is disproportional emphasis on sensational stories (a kidnapped child is sure to get national prime time coverage, in spite of the fact that this is a total non-issue -- your child is about as likely to be eaten by a bear as to be kidnapped by a stranger) or issues that can be quickly cast in simplistic, good guy-bad guy terms. Forget about coverage that sheds any light on the subtlties of the issue, or coverage of anything that cannot be reduced to a one-minute synopsis.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:07 AM   #89
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

The danger in this view that reporting should try to be biased is that we now have the ability to injest only the information that we want to see as opposed to that which we do not agree with. Facts should be reported as such, editorials should be cordined off and labelled as such. Everyone has a right to their opinion but I think the reporting of news should at least try to expose the most complete picture that is reasonably possible. The Fox Network has set the disturbing trend of editorializing constantly and only reporting those stories which support it's political agenda in a very overt fashion. The war on terror seems to be it's only topic. There is no disent.

This garners viewers who share the same viewpoint and shield them from any disent in much the same way as religious programming does. This creates and very narrow and zealous nature. Either so called Liberal and Conservative viewpoints are wrong if they completely dominate. Discomfort at "bad" news or facts which do not support the narrow view are labelled as seditious. I would argue that this against the seminal nature of the press in this country and does not add to the what is good in our country.
Bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:11 AM   #90
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

You did the same stupid thing Boehm did!!!!!

What does empircal mean again? Did you really want to say anecdotally?

Birds of a feather.....................
Bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote