Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-03-2002, 01:56 PM   #71
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: The Age-Hardened Burns: Part I Reader Feedback

"You know what I despise most about the anti-helmet idiots who crawl out of the woodwork, spouting off about freedom, etc., every time some news outlet points out, usually rightly, that the idiots are costing the U.S. taxpayer money? " -- John Burns, Aug 19 2002

"As far as wheelies increasing your insurance rates, I'd have to guess that makes about as much sense as "speed kills." It's actually the running-into-things while speeding or wheelying that kills, and I don't think the human race is ever going to breed out stupidity. " -- John Burns, Dec 2 2002

Thus, not wearing a helmet doesn't increase insurance rates, but running into things without wearing a helmet does? No, decreasing one's control of a bike with a wheelie doesn't increase risk but getting hit in the forehead with a rock while helmetless does? I don't get it.

I sometimes wear helmets. I don't do wheelies or stoppies (although I'm sure getting an 800-pound Valkyrie to do either would be pretty cool). Last summer I was on the highway, helmetless, and rode past two squids (helmets, t-shirts, protective pants) riding wheelies next to each other while their buddies followed and videotaped them. One almost stuffed it into the median several times when he landed the front tire. He would have passed under the camera car, or the car would have swerved into my lane. I'm not sure what the point of the story is, except that I would be at fault because I wasn't wearing a helmet, I guess.

Luckily, life is full of choices and Valkyries are full of torque so I eased away and exited the highway.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 03:09 PM   #72
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

Same here, in 38 years I've never known this past highway utopia that existed long ago....when women and blacks and hispanics knew their place and everyone was a good little patriot!
Bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:10 PM   #73
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

God Bless America!
Old 12-03-2002, 03:18 PM   #74
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

Sounds reasonable, except for keeping the wheels down....
Old 12-03-2002, 04:29 PM   #75
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree with your comments -- however, in fairness to Pud, he didn't exactly say that "all Republicans are assholes and morons...." What he did say was "I'd like to say that ...." That is not quite the same, and also, it suggests to me that he is being somewhat tongue in cheek.

Actually, I would LIKE to think that all those who disagree with me (on politics, on V-twin vs inline 4s, on loud pipes, or green beans) are all assholes and morons -- unfortunately, since I actually listen to, or read, a lot of people who disagree with me on these things, I know that most of them are neither. I also find that a fair number of those who DO agree with me ARE assholes and/or morons. Gets more complicated when you move beyond slapping a slanderous label on anyone who has a different perspective, and actually deal with the validity of the ideas.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #76
DangerStu
Founding Member

I too just quit my Motocyclists Subscription, I had been thinking about it for a while mainly do to the fact that it contained very minimal in the way of original content, Boehms editorial was the icing on the cake. I've heard several stories about what an ass he is and that confirmed it for me, talking of power trips I've also heard it said that it's best not to cross Boehm if you want to stay employed in the m/c industry, So nice reply Mr Burns you have my vote...
DangerStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:16 PM   #77
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Bah.

I don't subscribe to any other motojournalistic stuff, but it doesn't appear to me that this site is lacking in motorcycle content. My $12 bought me more info than I have yet to find time to read, and that's what counts.

You can always just NOT read Jonny's rants, which I find quite interesting. And I doubt that those ten paragraphs took time out of anything else that MO was doing. C'mon, he probably typed it out while his coffee was brewing, he's an experienced journalist.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:39 PM   #78
Jexter
Founding Member

Default I've got a little example.

I remember distinctly (and this IS a little example) a news report or three about a local murder. The anchor (spelling?) sat behind the desk, with the cheesy little frame behind to give an illustration of what's going on. These murders that come to mind were commited with a handgun, so the picture was of a black revolver with a red "pop" thingy behind it. Ya know, those sun-lookin backgrounds they use for sales, also seen behind the old Batman's "BIFF!, KERPLAMPH!"

Seems a little pro gun control to have a murder picturized by an evil-looking handgun. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, though.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:03 PM   #79
ZR-7
Founding Member

Wow! You got it...!

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:25 PM   #80
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: When *intellectuals* smoke too much pot...

The fact is we're all pimples on the ass of god, when we get irritating enough, we get squeezed, all your blather and bulls***t won't change a thing, sorry
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote