Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-03-2002, 11:33 AM   #61
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: The Age-Hardened Burns: Part I Reader Feedback

I think it's the guy who can take the most bong hits...
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 11:50 AM   #62
blademan
Founding Member

I rather liked Boehm's article. He had some good points. People are f*cking up highway driving because they are clogging the fast lane up and traffic is bottlenecking. They get in the lane as he described so they won't have to think or they want to police other people. His article was dead on. Please get over yourself. Boehm isn't as bad as you make him out to be.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:54 AM   #63
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

You know, I've been reading Cycle World and Motorcylist for years, and I'm old enough to have clear memories of Cycle. I went ahead and paid the bucks to subscribe to this particular online rag. I've enjoyed the writings of several generations of motojournalists, each with his own particular style.

That said, the silence when good and entertaining writers like Mr. Burns and Mr. Carrithers departed Motorcylist screamed. No farewell, no thanks a lot, no gold watch, not even the slightest acknowledgment, if memory serves. I was critical of this at the time, in a fairly diplomatic and literate way. I correspond with the editors of several of the leading trade rags from time to time, and frequently receive polite and informative responses. About this issue, however, there was nothing but--more silence.

While it is reasonable for readers to expect differences of opinion as between experts, it should be no less reasonable for us to expect some degree of professional courtesy. It would have been nice for Mr. Boehm and associates to pay appropriate tribute to folks who, having made significant contributions to their product, elected to seek greener pastures. On the other hand, it would be nice for Mr. Burns to keep his beef with his former employer private, and allow the rest of us to continue to enjoy reading the stuff that each of them writes--about motorcycles.

Marketing aside, Cycle World, Motorcyclist and Motorcyclist.com are not natural enemies. They preach to the same choir. Probably, many or most readers of each peruse the others from time to time. I like Boehm. I like Burns. I like Egan. I like Cameron. I like Carrithers. I miss Nick and Lance, and McQuide and Jennings in a completely different way. But they were all friends, at least to me, bigger than life and doing things with motorcycles that I, personally, ain't gonna try. I'd rather not see any of them beating each other up. We've got enough image problems as it is.

Let's keep it friendly, shall we? Wheels down.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 12:20 PM   #64
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Wheelies won't make us hated, nor will loud pipes or speeding. Burns is corrrect that we are already hated, and therefore under no obligation to ride or act in a manner to please the masses. As far as bias goes, everyone has it. That is why science attempts to use methods that will eliminate bias from an experiment or research. Anyone trying to prove themselves right is inherently biased before they write word one. The only clarity that a journalist has, it the clarity of which side they are on. After that, most will use as many lies as possible to prove their point. Just like a judge in court, it's our job to listen to both sides' lies and try to figure out who is telling the fewest or smallest. No matter how thin you slice a piece of bread, it still has two sides, as does any so called truth.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:56 PM   #65
TheBob
Founding Member

Default When *intellectuals* smoke too much pot...

I'm trying not to get personal with this response, but it's going to be tough. Give me a sec...

...nah, the adrenalin is still flowing. I'll do my best anyway:

Can you guess what has my panties in a knot? Any idea at all? Let me give you a hint: you aren't nearly as smart as you wish you were. Doubt me? Lets follow your logic for a second.

Fisrt of all, in you start off by trying to equate altruism with murder and genocide. Yes Stalin was the leader of a 'Communist' country, but if you think his imposed famine on the Ukraine or slaughter of his polictical opponents was motivated by some higher notion of good, you should hit the history books. The man was a self centered psychopath. A hooligan if you will. Yes, there are numerous instances in history where people were murdered in the name of good, but you're completely wrong to say that all selfless acts are bad.

But that's not what pissed me off. You claim that the United States "was based not on selfless service, sacrifice, renunciation or any precept of altruism." I bet there are a few WWII vetrans out there who'd still be able to kick your sorry a$$ for that one. No selfless acts! Are you for real?

Since when has charity killed millions?

And just what the heck are you going on about saying that collective laws of our society have somehow poisoned your mind? Maybe you've discovered the cause behind your own personal blindness--you're just the societal sheep that you loathe so much.

No, seriously, you really are. Think about it: You read Atlas Shrugged or some other Ayn Rand crud and suddenly you have the cure for the world. You believed what she had to say. You fell for it hook, line and sinker. Another happy customer. Over 12 billion served. Good job. Baaaaa.

Do I think you're stupid? No, definately not. But please, IF YOU ARE GOING TO ESPOUSE THE VIRTUES OF FREE, INDEPENDENT THINKING, GIVE IT A TRY SOMETIME!!! Don't just regurgitate someone else's views. How lame and hypocritical is that?

TheBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:23 PM   #66
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy this man...

...the beverage of his choosing!
Old 12-03-2002, 01:32 PM   #67
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: FYI

http://www.law.indiana.edu/uslawdocs/declaration.html
Old 12-03-2002, 01:32 PM   #68
scfrank
Founding Member

Good comments John. I thought the "leftists" thing in MC was dumb also. Why do the righties believe in freedom until someone is doing something they don't like ? Then screw em. Well, I guess we all do that. Some of us just realize our shortcomings. The rest of you, wear a helmut and shut up.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:39 PM   #69
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Hard to know what to say...

to such a diffuse rant, but I'll bravely try:

1) (a) those self-righteous types popping up like indignant mushrooms after a rain, with the "this gives all motorcyclists a bad name and raises my insurance rates, blah blah blah..." (b) ...these are your protective, mothering types who really do believe that if we all treat non-motorcyclists with the utmost respect they'll eventually embrace motorcycles too, and invite us over for apple pie and home-made ice cream. They're the guys who think if they issue enough traffic tickets, driving will eventually become as safe as gardening.

I'm one of those guys, but I'm not self-righteous or parental nor do I think driving will ever be safe. I just don't want to pay for the societal costs of stupid behavior, so I'll vote for educational efforts to teach better behavior and for laws to enforce it and if necessary, jail time to get the idiots off the street for at least a little while. Out in the sticks with only my friends to kill, I'll wheelie all I want.

2) You lump liberals:conservatives, motorcyclists:non-MCs, wheeliers;non-wheeliers into totally polarized black-and-white cartoons of what real people are like. Nothing that simple is ever true.

3) Please try not to beat so many different drums in the same post, or at least supply captions when you change the subject.

4) Try not to hate people who disagree with you. Ultimately you'll hate everyone, and besides, what if you change your mind some day?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:45 PM   #70
clively
Founding Member

Good job JB. But if the rumors are right about the folks leaving Motorcyclist, that means the moronic Dexter Ford might write more often.

Does the Highway Man have an opinion on this?
clively is offline   Reply With Quote