Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-03-2002, 06:12 AM   #31
ARTBIZTOMMY
Founding Member

Default Re: The Age-Hardened Burns: Part I Reader Feedback

keep up the good work, john....that was a very interesting read. as it happens i enjoy hearing what motorcycle people have to say on other topics.

Very good.
ARTBIZTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 06:15 AM   #32
lightnin
Founding Member

If I wanted to listen to some bitter ***** spewing endless tiresome vitriol about her evil ex I'd watch Oprah... why it is that every subject seems somehow to wind up being about him... get over it babe, move on, it's over already.
lightnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:29 AM   #33
Steve781
Founding Member

Default More Rider, Less Bike

Bike is a good read, but Bike's sister publication Ride is even better, if you can find it. As the name suggests, they focus more on the people, gear, and activity than on the hardware. Not that the hardware is forgotten. They even do reviews and informative pieces on older bikes. How to ge the most from what you have, not buy a new bike before the first major service on your old one.

As I and others have pointed out, we ride daily or weekly, buy moto-related stuff monthly, but buy a new (or new to us) bike only every few years.

As Charuhas pointed out, you could use a bit more meat here. I know you have limits due to your small staff. One suggestion, how about logs or journals of the bikes in your company and private fleets. When you make a modification to your bike, tell us about it: how did it go, are you happy with it, etc. What problems come up with your bikes and how do you fix them? As moto-journalists, you are much more proficient at living with motorcycles than us readers (or else why am I reading this) so save us reinventing the wheel and pass on your acquired knowledge.

I'm a regular reader, but I don't even know what all of the MO staff's daily rides are.

Steve Sykes

Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:36 AM   #34
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I want to read about motorcycles. Specifically I'd like to read about maintenance ease, build quality and durability, riding impressions, and horse power and torque curves. I'd like to know how hard it is to get the back wheel off or get at the oil filter. I really don't care about fueds with old employers.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:47 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

For once I have to agree 100% with JB, at least as far as his evaluation of the general public's view of bikers goes. These people will never accept us. Riding a motorcycle represents freedom and non-conformity. These are values that are given much lipservice but in reality are detested by the mainstream. Most people want security first and are wiling to sell any number of neighbors down the river to achieve such.

But JB, leave out the political crap. I know you believe that it is only conservatives that "play politics" and that liberals are "right". But, trust me. Neither one is any better than the other. Or haven't you noticed the libs (including the media) and cons both rushing headlong to approve the Homeland Police State... er I mean Security Act?
Old 12-03-2002, 07:04 AM   #36
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default good stuff, JB ....

i enjoy reading your rants, but i have to agree that potshots at competitors is prolly inappropriate. granted boehm recently took an indirect potshot at MO, but he didn't go so far as to point a finger.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:05 AM   #37
KPaulCook
Banned

Good idea. That would spice things up.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:15 AM   #38
camfarm
Founding Member

Default Kudo's to KPaul

I liked reading this post of yours.
camfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:18 AM   #39
robb_millett
Registered Member

HAW! LOL! I happened to buy the current Mo'cyclist last night, and read Mitchie's whining about left-lane hogs...um, so how is this news? Hell-LOW!!! in the 32 years I've been driving US highways, I can't EVER remember a time when ther was good lane discipline in general...

...and learning that Mitch used to listen to Rush Limbaugh, well, in the words of Shrek "That explains a lot!" Ican remember the haughty disparagement of CW he'd editorialized about when CW published the article about stunting competitions...LOL!

Mr Burns, I 'd always wondered why you bailed on MC, but now I understand...

see you on TV tonight! please forwad the autographed foto to my e-mail

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:21 AM   #40
sconley
Founding Member

Default Ayn and the Art of Motorcycle Legislation

The common good of a collective - a race, a class, a state - was the claim and justification of every tyranny ever established over motorcylists. Every helmet law in our history was created in the name of an altruistic motive. Has any act of hooliganism ever equaled the carnage perpetrated by disciples of altruism? Does the fault lie in men's hypocrisy or in the nature of the principle? The most dreadful butchers were the most sincere. They believed in the perfect society reached through the guillotine and the firing squad. Nobody questioned their right to murder since they were murdering for an altruistic purpose. It was accepted that men must be sacrificed for other men. Actors change, but the course of the tragedy remains the same. A humanitarian who starts with declarations of love for hooligans and ends with a sea of laws. It goes on and will go on so long as men believe that an action is good if it is unselfish. That permits the altruist to act and forces his victims to bear it. The leaders of collective movements ask nothing for themselves. But observe the results.

The only good which men can do to one another and the only statement of their proper relationship is - Hands off!

Now observe the results of a society built on the principle of hooliganism. This, our country. The noblest country in the history of men. The country of greatest achievement, greatest prosperity, greatest freedom. This country was not based on selfless service, sacrifice, renunciation or any precept of altruism. It was based on a man's right to the pursuit of hooliganism. His own hooliganism. Not anyone else's. A private, personal, selfish motive. Look at the results. Look into your own conscience.

It is an ancient conflict. Men have come close to the truth, but it was destroyed each time and one civilization fell after another. Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy, it is the process of setting man free from men. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Now, in our age, collectivism, the rule of the second-hander and second-rater, the ancient monster, has broken loose and is running amuck. It has brought men to a level of intellectual indecency never equaled on earth. It has reached a scale of horror without precedent. It has poisoned every mind. It has swallowed most of Europe. It is engulfing our country.

I am a hooligan. I know what is to come by the principle on which it is built. We are approaching a world in which I cannot permit myself to ride.

sconley is offline   Reply With Quote