Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-03-2002, 04:48 AM   #21
kman45
Founding Member

Default Re: The Age-Hardened Burns: Part I Reader Feedback

Ding, Ding, Ding. You win the prize, finally the most succinct and correct comment of the day. I don't subscribe to Motorcyclist anymore either, and it might soon be this site too. Johnny's ramblings might be a bit funny, but are just as irrelevant and lacking of anything but sound bites meant to insight the masses, and it always works. Meanwhile the content has nothing to do with motorcycles, cycle news, or anything else of interest.

I don't mind a little humor, rant, or dig in the articles, but entire articles specifically designed to just get everybody going are childish and not what I'm paying a subscription price for. What I want are up to date news and reviews. Johnny has definitely been in Kalifornia too long and thinks his position of power and fame (whatever that may be) gives him the right to rant at us or with us in the same vein that Hollywood stars think we want to listen to their stupid political views just because they can get face time via the media.
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 04:52 AM   #22
ravin
Founding Member

Default I wish me go to college.

"...liberal media bias. It exists in some of your finer media outlets, I think, because the people who work at those outlets have to be college graduates."

No, it exists because that is what sells right now. That's why some Phi Beta Kappa thought it was a brilliant idea to give Rosie O'Donnell her own magazine. Brilliant.

Very soon it will swing back the other way and we will have belligrent right wing nitwits

running the media.

I'll be pissed about that too.

I'll also be pissed about the fact that I have a Bandit1200S and haven't got the balls to attempt a wheelie.
ravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:58 AM   #23
mconlon
Founding Member

Having been in the same position, I can second the observation that, more often than you really want to know, reporters get critical facts wrong. Also, there is usually an editorial slant to any publication--an editor runs it and hires people who support his/her views so that when they write, they write with an inherent bias. And it can be as subtle as objective reporting that: So and so claimed that, "blah blah." v. So and so said that, "blah blah." Simply using the word 'claimed' casts doubt in the mind of the reader that what was stated is true; whereas using the word 'said' might incline the reader to regard what was said as true. There's a million things like that, where something is "objectively" reported, yet is slanted one way or another.

Or, bias can be as blatant as an outright bribe: Witness JB trashing the Duc 900ss in a comparo with the Buell where the Buell is the gosh-golly-gee new bike that they got to test and publish first v. JB on a Duc press junket in warm foreign climes raving on about how good the new 1000ds is. Bias? Nah...

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:59 AM   #24
navion_pa1
Founding Member

I put Rush on at work for two reasons,

one he's one of the funniest people on the

air,

second he scares the sh** out of me,

just because so many belive what he has to

say.

navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:35 AM   #25
runner00
Founding Member

Wow did you actually forget about your penis long enough (no pun intended) to actually write this article ? Hey go check out the new harley 883 the black and orange thing has a tank emblem in the shape of a penis , with a rider aboard it's pretty comical. Did Willie G disign that one. HA HA HA ! Hey Harley I think you need a quality assurance engineer in your stlying Dept. While we are talking about penis why don't you all blow me.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:36 AM   #26
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Just the facts, ma'am

90% of media professionals vote Democratic.

fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:42 AM   #27
nebo
Registered Member

Media bias? Duh- everyone is biased. There is no middle ground. Real democracy consists of a shoving match, shouting and occasional fisticuffs too. Get over it. Pick a side, be loud do wheelies etc. you got that part right.

I like Rush- but he is a little too liberal for me...
Old 12-03-2002, 05:43 AM   #28
charuhas
Founding Member

Burns, man, if you want to write about national politics, submit something to Salon.com. If you want to write about inter-office politics, resist the temptation. They can be juicy and entertaining, but they're out of place here. You were in the Army, so I'll put it in military terms: stick to the motorcycle.com mission--motorcycles. As far as your Motorcyclist experience goes, the best revenge is doing well.

You've got a chance here with Motorcycle.com to do very well. You can help build something great: an online bike mag for adults. A Cycle for the 21st century.

When I was 13, learning to ride on my dad's Honda step-through 90, I was reading Phil Schilling's Cycle magazine. It was a beatifully-written, beautifully-photographed, well-laid-out magazine that always had something intelligent to say about bikes and the folks who ride them.

Since it was canned in '91, nothing's come along to take it's place. Cycle World has retained it's adolescent look and feel: my wife calls it "Teen Beat" for bikes. Motorcyclist isn't much different. The only mag comparable to the old Cycle's quality is Bike, a Brit mag sold at Barnes & Noble. B&N is selling a TON of 'em, because people like it's slick layout, great photography, and thoughtful, intelligent writing.

Motorcycle.com can go beyond both the old Cycle and Bike because it's not constrained by the limitations of print. You can publish daily. You've got unlimited space. And you can include interactive features like this forum. But first I'd like to see in motorcycle.com the things that made Cycle so good: great technical articles, interesting travel pieces, and a slick layout.

Let's face it: the layout of this site sucks. The look is amateurish and navigation is confusing.
The site needs more "meat"--the sort of opinion and news you see on motorcycledaily.com. So instead of spending time and energy fighting political and internecine battles, spend them building an excellent online bike mag for adults. Go to it, brother--we Bike and motorcycle.com readers will help.

Best regards,

Chris Charuhas

chris@charuhas.com

charuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:48 AM   #29
adaleb
Registered Member

Wish you would have posted this two weeks ago BEFORE I gave you my credit card. I would not have done it. Stick to writing about Motorcycles.

When it comes to Politics, you haven't a clue...
adaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:09 AM   #30
ducatti
Founding Member

Being a Libertarian, I identify with JPB's rants,in fact I'm being treated for them now. I was once annoyed with Burns when he trashed the ZX-12(which I had just bought), but after fiddling with it for a year and then trading it for a Ducati I had to admit that He was spot on. I'll buy whichever Mag Burns or Egan writes for.
ducatti is offline   Reply With Quote