Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-09-2002, 10:00 AM   #71
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati SuperSports Reader Feedback

Uh, let's see...

The Monster swingarm acts on an arch that connects to either side of the swingarm and terminates on top with a linkage mount. The linkage is connected with the frame in the middle, the arch at one end, and the top shock mount on the other. The bottom mount of the shock is toward the rear of the engine. So when it hits a bump, forces are directed into the arch, through the linkage acting kind of like an upside-down see-saw, and into the shock, which is compressed by the linkage.

The SuperSport has a swingarm that is braced on the top. The "brace" part of the swingarm has the rear shock mount and connects directly to the shock. The shock then connects directly to the frame, right near the rear of the gas tank/front seat area. So instead of acting through a linkage as on the Monster, forces coming up from the swingarm act directly on the shock.

This is as clear as I can get without a diagram.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2003, 01:40 PM   #72
Downtown
Founding Member

Actually, the linkage design you are referring to on the monster is no longer. My '99 M900 has it as you described --and with a cool aluminum swingarm--but the 2000 or maybe 2001 model uses the ST frame which has a more conventional hard point without the linkage. This stemmed from the S4 which was the first monster to use the larger ST frame. So there.
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 04:04 PM   #73
pated
Founding Member

I don't understand why so many people dislike the styling of the SuperSports. I am going to buy a fully-faired 800ss simply because it's the most beautiful motorcycle I have ever seen. Plus, I'm tired of wringing my Ninja's neck to get any performance, I want fun under 60 mph, that's what this 2 valver offers. Thank you Ducati, for fulfilling the desires of my heart.
pated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 03:32 PM   #74
frogdrvr
Founding Member

I would look seriosly at the used market. You can buy a 1999-2002 900ss at less than the new cost of the 800. More performance. There is a good chance the seller will have already aftermarket goodies that can be expensive.
frogdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:39 PM   #75
orangeokie
Founding Member

"I would look seriosly at the used market. You can buy a 1999-2002 900ss at less than the new cost of the 800."

The "new" engine technology has sold me on the '03 model over the "older" bikes. It's worth the extra cash.
orangeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:09 AM   #76
orangeokie
Founding Member

Default Re: Quit trolling with the same old flame bait

"Air-cooled engines may be limited in some senses. But, heck, aircraft radials used to put out some 2-3 thousand HP.

Now if I could just adapt a Wright Radial into an old CX500 frame.."

Just happen to have a few hours in the Navy T-28B . . . Wright Cyclone 9 cylinder . . . 1800 ci . . . 1425 hp . . . belching smoke and fire! Great airplane.
orangeokie is offline   Reply With Quote