Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-03-2002, 02:57 PM   #61
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati SuperSports Reader Feedback

As the owner of an older, half-faired 900, I initially strongly disliked to looks of the new one (both versions, but especially the fully faired one with that weird wedge cutout behing the front wheel), but they are growing on me (I guess I am old and adjust slowly to change).

Actually, I prefer the upper portion of the fairing to my old version. I would like the partially faired version if it were more of a true half-fairing like the old version rather than a 3/4 fairing.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #62
saddlebag
Registered Member

I looked at a pic of the Monster and it appears to me to have one end of the shock tied to the swingarm and the other to the underside of the steel trellis frame. This is how my ST is setup and from the pics, aside from the angle of the shock it appears the SS is setup the same way. I still don't get it. Where is this arch on the swingarm? And what is the frame mounted linkage? Are you saying the shock is free to move about on the frame side of the Monster whereas its fixed on the SS?
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #63
CHIP900SS
Founding Member

After having owned a 1995 900ss sp & now owning a 1999 900ss, I don't understand

why everyone raves about the older 900ss sp, but knocks the newer version. The new-

er version I find better in every way ( turns quicker, more power, stiffer frame, fuel

injected & the new fairing is less likely to blow you over in a cross wind.) I'm sure I would find the 03 model even better.
CHIP900SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:45 PM   #64
CHIP900SS
Founding Member

One advantage to air cooled bikes, track days without draining antifreeze.
CHIP900SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 07:36 PM   #65
88clbsport
Founding Member

The half fairing is what drew me to buying my bike. The color didn't hurt either, the original owner went to extreme lengths to make it factory matte black. From what he told me it was unavailable from the factory that way for 2001 and they changed it for 2002.

Old 12-05-2002, 04:04 AM   #66
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Quit trolling with the same old flame bait

Merlin's are water cooled so they don't count, now a wright cyclone in a bike frame would be an interesting trick,,,I'm guessing you'd have to mount it flat like a lawnmower, These SS Ducati's in my opinion are the best, more elemental in design and execution, plus easier to maintain, which is the beauty of air cooled engines.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:13 AM   #67
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Limited Performance Potential for Air-Cooling

I agree that there are limits to the performance potential for air cooled engines; however, those limits can be pretty effin' high. Before recently caving in and adapting liquid cooling, Porsche managed to coax some acceptable levels of performance from its air-cooled flat 6s -- I seem to recall that they may have won the occassional race with them. I suspect that the change to liquid cooling was driven as much by noise and emmission compliance issues as pure performance constraints.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:23 AM   #68
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Air-cooled still good

Geeze, Buzglyde, I didn't realize you were such a young pup -- in the late 70s I was married, in my late 20s, well into my career as a CPA.

I also was a pedestrian, having lost my driver's license due to stupid hooligan antics on my RD400 (that is why I sold it). If you read Edwards editorial in last month's (I think) Cycle World, about his friend who tried to outrun the Colo Highway Patrol, that is basically my story -- also involving the Colo Highway Patrol, with basically the same outcome.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:16 PM   #69
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

At the risk of offending the Ducatisti out there, I thought that the 916/996/998 was rather hideous from the rear shock forward-that hammerhaed style fairing just left me cold, and those big, flat lowers seemed souless and mechanical. I had always thought that people were insane to rave about Italian styling...untill I saw the MV Augusta.

I saw the new 999 in person this past weekend and I think the design is a big improvement; an opinion I heard echoed by most of the people who wouldn't normally look at the mark, and none who now own a Duck.

One way or the other, Ducati started people talking...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:26 AM   #70
dlinder
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

Cycle World's article was pretty terrible, in my opinion. They ran an article first showing the 999, and everyone wrote in and said how ugly it was. A month (or maybe 2?) later they come back with a whole article trying to convince everyone that the 999 is gorgeous. People still not convinced...

What's in this month's Cycle World? Not one, but two(!) more articles trying even harder to tell you that the 999 is beautiful. One of these is written by a guy who is a personal friend of Terblanche, in which they criticize anyone with the gall to think his designs are less than beautiful because they themselves can't design a motorcycle.

Sorry guys, I can't design a car either, but that doesn't mean I can't call an AMC Gremlin ugly.

I don't know the story behind it all, but for all appearances, Ducati wasn't happy that people were less than enthused about it's new flagship bike... and they somehow pressured (or enticed?) Cycle World to somehow convince people that it's actually beautiful (despite the objections of our eyes). Their coverage reeks of advertiser pressure.

The next Cycle World will probably have the 999 on the cover with a headline 'Please Believe that it is Beautiful, Goddamn You!'

See Bike magazine's assesment. They say it isn't all that beautiful, but even more surprising, they suggest that it isn't even a performance improvement over the 998.
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote