Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-02-2002, 09:52 PM   #51
88clbsport
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati SuperSports Reader Feedback

Love my 2001 900ss half fairing and can't understand why the '99-'03's have get the negative comments on styling. This topic was covered on Ducati web-site. I am talking purely on looks, but that is a big part of what I based my purchase on.

for all readers of this topic....WHY don't you like SuperSports?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2002, 11:04 PM   #52
Cat_in_the_Hatt
Registered Member

Lots of people love the SuperSports. Several very capable riders who have more exotic machinery have told me they have just as much fun on the SS as their 916, 998, etc.

I decided I liked 'em enough to have just bought a leftover 2001 SS900 at a great price. It's a fantastically balanced bike- a keeper for sure. Back to the future- simple is cool. It’s ok if people don’t get it with these bikes- keeps the price reasonable for those who do. Sure, the older ones are nice in their way, but it’s like the Jaguar die-hards about the E-Type (I had one) and the Ferraristas about the ‘60’s V-12’s (drove a bunch), and the Bimmerphiles about the 2002 (never dug ‘em)…time to move on, without diminishing the glow the old machinery still has.

As a famous person once said, "the past is a nice place to visit, but you donÂ’t want to live thereÂ…"
Cat_in_the_Hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:56 AM   #53
saddlebag
Registered Member

I think that bike's look is bad to the bone, but I still don't get the comment in the story.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:21 AM   #54
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Absolutely

Sorry, dude, but that is more due to evaporative cooling than thermal conductivity. Water cooling works because it produces cooling capacity at an even rate; air cooling fluctuates with the speed of the bike.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:33 AM   #55
mconlon
Founding Member

Like I said, I don't like them because they were a compromised style--not quite a SuperMono, but definitely a far cry from the previous ss design. Personally, I really detest the sharp indents behind the front wheel, which is why I like the half-faired version better. I can see why they designed it that way after all the criticism of the fully-faired SP "slab-sided" style, but still don't think that it is the most elegant solution they could have come up with. I actually do like the headlight treatment and the rear of the bike, its just the lowers that really bug me. But I am predjudiced--I really, really like the half faired designs from the 92-98 era ss and cr. I think I finally figured out why--the half faring shows off the frame and engine, especially where the frame arches over the upright cylinder to almost frame the entire engine. You get to see the engine in all its mechanical beauty, framed by the artful steel trellis, which effect you don't get on the full-faired model, and which is compromised with the frame crossing the upright cyl on the superbikes and Monster. Also, the older design, with less lines, curves, and surfaces, just really screams out to the simple, sharp-focused nature of the bike a lot more than the more complex, new design.

All that being said, I do think the half-faired Sport/Dark models and the half-faired SS in charcoal grey/black with the red wheels are extremely easy on the eyes.

How's that?

Old 12-03-2002, 04:40 AM   #56
mconlon
Founding Member

The SuperSport shock design is a cantilever design, a direct connection from the top brace of the swingarm to the frame mount, with no linkages in between. The ride is more "lively" because there is no progressive or increasing rate of damping, which ends up telegraphing bumps and other road irregularities more vividly to the rider.

Monsters have a rocker linkage where an arch connected to the swingarm acts on a frame-mounted linkage, and then on the shock. The Superbike models are also different from either of these designs, but I'm not too sure how they work. Most other supersport or superbike designs from other manufacturers use some kind of linkage system or other.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:27 AM   #57
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Quit trolling with the same old flame bait

Isn't "crazy Australian" redundant?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:08 PM   #58
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: The real question

But can you ever forgive me for paying $7500 for a 75 HP bike? I could have done much better at a Honda shop.

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:23 PM   #59
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Air-cooled still good

>>Suddenly I've got a hankerin' for a Yamaha RD350/400<<

Funny you should mention that ... I just started browsing cycletrader and similar sites looking for a good one to join my 900 SS. My first street bike was an RD400, and I don't think I have enjoyed any subsequent ones any more. I think I wanna go with a 350, because, being a committed luddite, I want wire spoke wheels.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:39 PM   #60
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Absolutely

True, water transfers heat faster than air. However, so called "water cooled" engines still have to ultimately shed heat into the air, thus are ultimately subject to the same limitations. In fact, all engines are air-cooled -- some transfer heat direct from metal to air, while other use a liquid intermediary.

I think another advantage liquid-cooling has is that, in addition to the ability to maintain temperatures within a smaller range, is that, especially for high-performance multi-cylinder engines, it is easier to duct sufficient airflow through a radiator than to channel it around all the hot parts of an air-cooled motor in a matter to achieve reasonably uniform temperatures.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote