Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-02-2002, 09:51 AM   #41
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati SuperSports Reader Feedback

M'eh, it's fixed itself now. Nevermind.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2002, 10:27 AM   #42
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmmm...

Well let's hope you make it a little longer whippersnapper.

I just had my 20 year high school reunion. I thought that was for old guys but I'm just 38!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:02 PM   #43
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Quit trolling with the same old flame bait

You gonna leave the propeller on?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:37 PM   #44
fastducatirider
Founding Member

Default Re: Absolutely

uhm, there's only one small problem with your theory.... you seem assume that the thermal conductivity of air and water are the same..... have you noticed how cold you are when you step out of the shower before you are completely dry? what do you think causes that? (small clue... air is a pretty good insulator, think down jackets, etc.....)

peter
fastducatirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:54 PM   #45
ssmiley
Founding Member

Definitely the wrong photo – twin cams and no cooling fins.

Looks like they’ve rounded off the rear of the tank – good for guys with a little extra paunch - my number one comfort complaint on the new supersports.

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:06 PM   #46
rossbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Air-cooled still good

I doubt that the air cooled engine will ever be "killed". There will always be a market for a bike that gets you from point A to point B with the least possible fuss. Radiators, water pumps, coolant lines, etc.. All of that stuff isn't really needed to get moving way over the legal limit and all of the techno-wizardry turns many people off who long for simpler times and simple things.

Maybe when internal combustion engines are removed entirely we'll see the end of the air cooled motor (along with the end of the water cooled motor). Until then...

Regards,

Ross
rossbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:58 PM   #47
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

Longride,

Yes he was a bit harsh. Since we are talking about beauty I think we can agree that it is subjective. For what this person's opinion is worth, I've seen the 999 in person and I am still not impressed. That said, the 999 isn't, as some people have said, hideous and it does look better in person than in pictures.

FWIW an MV F4 was parked a few feet away from the 999, the difference between serviceable and rolling sculpture was illustrated very nicely. The Ducati is almost certainly a better bike but the MV is stunning to behold.

All I know is what I read but it sounds to me like Terblanche's bikes work well, they just aren't that good looking. Maybe Ducati need to keep Terblanche as project head and bring in a good stylist?

But what do I know? I just bought a real Italian Harley, a Moto Guzzi V11. It certainly doesn't make enough power for KPaul, it shakes a bit and I doubt it will set any reliability records but it makes me feel good. If the 999 makes you or anybody else feel good I'd put a deposit down soon.

JMHO,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:05 PM   #48
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Quit trolling with the same old flame bait

Have you seen the bike some crazy Australian made out of a Merlin? He cut two cylinder off to make a 5 liter (5,000 CC) V-Twin. I heard it is fairly fast.

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:14 PM   #49
saddlebag
Registered Member

Please escuse my ignorance, but can anyone esplain how an "old steel trellis frame and linkage free rear end" differ from the frames and rear ends of the other Ducs. And why these traits result in a more "lively" ride. Thanks
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 05:56 PM   #50
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

"FWIW an MV F4 was parked a few feet away from the 999, the difference between serviceable and rolling sculpture was illustrated very nicely. " Excellent point.

Your idea about Terblanche as a project head is a good one. Bring in someone passionate about bikes.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote