Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-02-2002, 03:40 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Ducati is like Harley but this time it is a good thing.

KPaul, I think your critique of the 999 may be a bit harsh. I agree, in pictures, the bike seems pretty odd. I have had the opportunity to see one in person, since a Ducati dealer is only 3 blocks from my house. I have to say the bike looks very nice, and I am not a Ducati lover. With the flatter seat and adjustable ergos, I may actually be able to ride this one. Next decent day I may even try a test ride, since they have a demo available. At the time I was there some guy was already putting a deposit on one and just gushing over it. Damn, he was in love. Always like to see that passion, even though I will never own a 999. Check one out in person before you make your mind up.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2002, 03:44 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Air-cooled still good

I've been checking the ads for a nice Kaw 750 H2 lately. I wanted one of those when I was in high school, but couldn't afford one. A guy down the block had a Blue 72 that I would stare at for hours. I remember him heading down the block with a nice big blue smoke plume trailing behind, and that famous triple shreek. Ahhh, the memories.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:39 AM   #23
ruister
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Ducati SuperSports Reader Feedback

Unless the new 1000cc engine is both air and liquid cooled, the picture posted on the bottom of the page is not the right one. I would take a guess that the engine pictured on the page is from the Ducati 998/999 Testastretta Engine.
ruister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:50 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think hyper-performance-type bikes will always be liquid cooled but the hp and torque specs on this bike make for a nice canyon carver. You won't win the AMA Superbike championship with it but it's still way quicker than most of us need to go (or can go) on public roads.

Now if you want to do fourth gear wheelies down I-5, you're gonna hafta line up for an R1 like the rest of the squids.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:54 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was in Junior High school in the late 70s and the Yamaha RD was the bike to have. I checked cycle trader and found plenty of them for around $1200 or so. I'd like to do some research first to find out what I would be getting myself into but that price of entry isn't too scary.

I had a neighbor who had one of those Kawis. He lived at the end of a long, straight stretch of road at the top of a hill. We used to sit in our driveway and watch him fly by every day coming home from work. That thing was sick! It seems like an awful lot of power for a spindly 70s chassis.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:54 AM   #26
superbikeuk
Founding Member

burns...you're making us americans look bad....at least spell 'almeria' correctly!
superbikeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 05:09 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Simple is good. Ask my friend whose Tundra's pushbutton 4wd system quit in the desert last spring. That's why I always opt for manually controlled tranfer cases. It's difficult to get a tow when you're out where the cellphones don't work.

I had a '71 Yamaha R5. That was the 5speed drumbraked version that preceded the RD350. That little bike would literally scream. The brakes were sufficient for that light bike. And, unlike the Kawasaki triples it handled quite nicely, thank you.

Even though it's been many years since I rode one, I would still bet that it could humiliate any modern 600 on the road to the Mt Wilson Obervatory, or any other comparatively tight road. 37hp and 250lbs. That was one sweet canyon carver. 'Course I was quite a bit lighter myself back then.

It didn't smoke enough to notice with properly tuned oil injection except under hard acceleration. And that was just a trace of smoke.

The bi-monthly sessions with the dial guage and the points were a pain in the @$$ though.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:16 AM   #28
rippedoff
Founding Member

?

Are you talking about the oil cooler?
rippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 05:16 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Quit trolling with the same old flame bait

Your opinion of the 999 is quite well known now. This article was about the Supersport bikes. You seem to like to drag out the same ol' arguments no matter what the topic is. Must be a glutton for punishmet.

I didn't like the photos of the 999 either but in person it's quite nice. I'm guessing you haven't done that yet. I don't know who can predict how something will be remembered. If it wins races it will be considered beautiful.

Ok, no more 999. So how about those Supersports, eh? Those HP and Torque numbers arent' too far removed from your VFR! Not bad for a two-valve air-cooled antique. Heck it's not too far off the Liquid-cooled 916 motor in my ST4 with way cheaper maintenance costs I'm sure.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:09 AM   #30
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Quit trolling with the same old flame bait

Ok was I that obvious. Someone told me air cooled engines are going to be always limited in their performance? i.e. loose tolerances lead to limited efficiency and limited rpm.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote