Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-26-2002, 03:18 PM   #1
BiZ
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Code Wheelie School Reader Feedback

Uh... First post? HA!

Wait a second, did you say you had a TL and you still couldn't wheelie???

Ug.
BiZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
DesertwolfZR7
Founding Member

Well at least it is in a controlled environment. However, i dont think a certificate from the school is going to go over to well with da' judge.

Rubber Down! :>)

Desert.
DesertwolfZR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
rolaids
Founding Member

I cannot wheelie either but the saddest part of all is that I have a TLS myself and I still have a lot of trouble.
rolaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

This sounds like someone's low-grade drug hallucination. Did you guys make this story up?

For a little more that the cost of this school you could pick up a used dirtbike and not only wheelie to your heart's content but learn a veritable plethora of skills that would aid your streetbike riding. And you'd have fun for more than a day.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:43 PM   #5
grover750
Founding Member

Agree. Dirtbikes are the way to learn. Not that I can ride a wheelie for more than 25 ft on my CR250, but if I ever get the chance (a wide open field and a couple of hours), I'm going to get it down (up). A motocross training book I have says that wheelieing teaches excellent balance and throttle control, which will both help out on the track, and, to a lesser extent, on the street.

But... I was driving next to a GSXR the other day on an interstate, and he (I'm assuming he) pulled wheelie after wheelie. Not good for the ol' public image.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

Dirt bikes are the way to learn slides too, once you learn how to handle a bike sliding around, you'll brake and corner a lot harder, $500 on a dirtbike would be the best streetbike training tool you could get.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:48 PM   #7
deerhunter
Founding Member

The MO staff is having waaay too much fun. First scooters and now wheelies. The videos are entertaining, though.

Agree with the comments about dirt bikes. Nothing (other than common sense) will save your bacon like time on a dirt bike.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:02 AM   #8
wfowade
Founding Member

Zen and the Art of The Wheelie? Just another crass attempt to commercialize behavior that should not be encouraged on the street. I guess the after lunch session moved out on to Intersate 405. Did the evening session cover advanced fur selection/application techniques?

Get a dirt bike if you want to wheelie. A larger four stroke single will allow most anyone to learn to find the balance point. And it won't cause my insurance to become unobtainable.
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:13 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default TL1000s wheelies made easy

I had a TL and had to teach the guy I sold it to to wheelie it. Follow these instructions to the letter and 100% of the time the front wheel will be pointing up. First, with bike in first gear, ride normally to about 4,000 rpm. Next, slide butt back so it hits the rear seat or cover. Then straighten your arms to lift your upper body a bit. This position puts your weight over the rear wheel and upper body upright for takeoff. You are at 4 grand, riding normal, and body is set. Now this is the hard part for most. Crank the throttle to the stop. Just nail it HARD. The front is going to come up pretty quick, and just bend your arms when it rises. Don't stiff arm it. Keep elbows loose. Modulate throttle to steady the rise once it gets up, or let off a bit for an easy landing. Give this a try with any TL1000s and get ready for those "demonstration of speed" and "reckless driving" citations. Easy and fun.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:57 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: TL1000s wheelies made easy

I use a similar technique on my Duc. I just stay on the throttle once I have the front wheel in the air and as the RPM rises the torque curve starts to trail off and the front end sets down ever-so-gently and I'm hauling axx and ready to shift into second at that point.

Maybe a squid can teach us about standing on the rear footpegs and wheeliing down the freeway.

Poppa Wheelie
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote