Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-27-2002, 07:57 AM   #21
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: Forfeiture of Warranty??

The SV650 can suffer the same problem if you pull 1/4 mile wheelies on a regular (daily) basis. Or at least so says one of the owners on the SV mailing list who apparently trashed his that way.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2002, 08:16 AM   #22
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Code Wheelie School Reader Feedback

Ever since I looped an old CX500 many years ago, my wheelies ("poppies" would be a better term) have been the object of ridicule. The only way I can pull a good wheelie nowadays is to get totally stinking drunk, but even that doesn't help since I don't drink.

itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 09:14 AM   #23
12er
Founding Member

Head stock bearings love wheelies. Figure on replacing them at the regular service intervals if you are lofting regularly. Well unless you are wheelie master and can set the front down softly.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:40 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Geez, I'm a member of the vast right wing conspiracy and I even think that guy is a doofus.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:22 AM   #25
177Kevin
Founding Member

What a joke! Let me get this straight, you pay $500 to sit around and watch 5 other people make hack attempts at a wheelie, only to have one of the squids crash the bike? Then more waiting cuz Keith Code forgot to bring spares? All this with little or no technical help, and in a parking lot? Was there even an EMT?

Spend the $500 bucks on a used dirtbike and equipment, find a big open lot, and have a ball! At the end of the day, you get loads more practice, learn more, and you have a dirt bike to play on!

What a bunch of crap!
177Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 01:59 PM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: TL1000s wheelies made easy

You and longride should be ashamed of yourselves contributing to the deliquency of a newbies
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:02 PM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: TL1000s wheelies made easy

I'm just going to have to figure out how to wheelie my Electra Glide when I get it. Maybe put on of them big, fat Harley *****es on the back, eh?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:20 PM   #28
rsheidler
Founding Member

My (admitedly limited) experience is that most manufacturers are pretty good about covering bikes that have been subjected to what many would consider to be abuse -- or at least very hard use. I know of at least 2 people who have had frames replaced on race-only bikes after they cracked, and I personally had my swingarm replaced by Ducati when it formed a small crack -- even though the bike was highly modified (50% more than stock power) and was running slicks. Also, I know of at least one (Ducati 996) engine blown on the track that was replaced under warranty -- even though the rider (who was used to a race shift pattern) accidently downshifted instead of upshifting.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 06:49 PM   #29
BiZ
Founding Member

I bought a VTR1000F in May of 1997. As I left the dealer, I rolled the throttle all the way to the stop in first gear, as I had done many times on my VFR without a problem. Only on the VTR, there was a bit of a problem. The gas tank seemed to be hell bent to attack my face! Anyways, I let off the throttle, and all was well.

Moral of the story is, it's stupid-easy to wheelie a big V-Twin. To get the front up, in first gear from a dead stop, feed out the clutch smoothly and quickly, then quickly twist the throttle all the way until you can't twist it anymore. I promise you will ride a wheelie.

BiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 03:30 AM   #30
obandoj
Founding Member

$500 bucks for that? What a rip off! The sad part is that Code gets away with it, because of the support he has gotten from all of the publicity everybody gives him. He must give lots of freebies to scribes of motorcycle magazines. I allready told some of my nasty experiences with the "man" in past comments in this web site, and I have wittnesses too!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote