Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-25-2002, 05:16 AM   #41
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Scooter Smackdown!

yes, the little 50cc scooters are only good in tight urban environments or subdivisions. I had a Zuma II for two months this summer. As soon as I'd leave the subdivision I felt like I was about to become road-kill. Curiosity satisfied, so I sold the thing post haste.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2002, 05:20 AM   #42
mconlon
Founding Member

Yes, if you are going to test scooters, at least it should be the latest and greatest--I am expecting a Ruckus addenda as soon as they prep the one Honda is, I'm sure, out of great embarassment, airlifting to you as I type this.

I like scooters. I like the way they look, and their mission in life. But they are the scariest things for many reasons, but mainly this: one of the reasons I ride a motorcycle is because they can just flat-out embarass cars performance-wise. And this is not only fun, but a real safety issue for us--you need the extra acceleration, the better braking, the maneuverability to stay alive in traffic. Scooters have none of those advantages. So while they might make some kind of twisted sense in a metropolitan area, outside of that, their shortcomings outweight their utility.

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 05:32 AM   #43
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

And another thing... You mention closed-circuit racing - erm, testing. Even provided video of the same. But where are the laptimes? We wanna know who and which was fastest!!!
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 05:39 AM   #44
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default Check out BAJAJ!!! 150cc metal scooters for 2g!

BAJAJ is the biggest scooter manufacturer in the WORLD, bar none. They've been making scooters for 40 years, and now they're being imported into the USA. 150cc's, 4 speed manual shifting, metal construction, 65mph. And they're under $2,000! as cheap or cheaper than the little buggers reviewed here, and they'd kick ass all over these little things. They look just like vespas, but made by Indians for cheap!! Yar!

http://www.bajajusa.com/
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 05:58 AM   #45
dlinder
Founding Member

Hm... this whole other world beyond the states? Yeah I think I've heard rumors about that.

Isn't that where the people have crooked teeth, women have hairy armpits, no one bathes regularly...

That's where you pay over 50 percent taxes and feel lucky that the government was kind enough to let you keep anything...

And I hear they know so much about music, in fact so much that they created groups called the Spice Girls and S Club 7...

Wait on second thought, maybe I would rather not know anything about this whole other world beyond the states...
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:55 AM   #46
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default Man, that's a lot of mods to make it go....

BAJAJ scooters are 150cc, all metal, 4 speed manual, will do 60mph with no mods, and only cost 2 large..

www.bajajusa.com
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:53 AM   #47
dlinder
Founding Member

Default Re: ItÂ’s actually not so funny

I don't know about him, but I personally don't like the idea of bicycles being ridden on the road. If there is a designated bike lane or a wide should of something of that sort, great. But in many places bicyclists ride on the road (in a car lane) toodling along at 20 mph or whatever, where traffic speed is moving two and sometimes three times that pace.

The road is just not designed for vehicles traveling at that pace in the stream of traffic. Scooters typically aren't legal on the highway because they can't safely keep pace with traffic, it seems like bikes shouldn't be allowed on MOST roads, for the same reason.
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:54 AM   #48
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Confessions of a motorcycle bigot.

You make a good point. The Silver Wing is the Gold Wing of scooters he he. Anyway, it did open my eyes that a scooter can be fun. But you are right small, cheap and practical is what makes scooters a good deal. When I was in college my mountain bike served the purpose of economical transportation. But I can see how a scooter would be good thing around campus.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:57 AM   #49
KPaulCook
Banned

We are still working on the Boy thing.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:46 AM   #50
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I'm an American. Sometimes I go for days without a bath. Furthermore, I live in CA and pay damned near 50% of my income in taxes. Shall we talk about: New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, N-Sync, O-Town?

[b]

We share the same planet, species and needs. There are good and bad, clean and dirty, tone deaf and musically gifted people everywhere. Go shave your armpits and stand in the corner.