Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-16-2002, 04:36 PM   #1
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 999S Track Test

The performance of the 999 will improve dramatically when fitted with the Terminigioni pipes and computer. Open the airbox, change the sprockets - like the 999R. Italian machines need to breathe to be fully alive.

Apparently the styling elements Terblanche lifted from his old boss's latest work were not all good... the trick mirrors on the Agusta F4S are also worthless if you want to see what is behind you.

The heat issue is something Ducati needs to address. I got rid of one bike due to a similar problem.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2002, 04:44 PM   #2
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Plexiglass fairing

Is the clear fairing an option? I like it, naked and aerodynamic! A clear upper fairing may help alleviate the Pontiac Aztec cross bread with Honda scooter look.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Passionless

Nice review guys. Love the video and wallpaper. Still the bike doesn't get me going. I think the 998, MV and Benelli are better in the passion dept. But this is a Ducati and it will be hyped by the excellent Ducati marketing. Like I said before Ducati is the Harley of sport bikes. Overpriced and overrated. .
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 07:04 PM   #4
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: Passionless

Ironically, at 17K, Ducati and a Harley cost about the same, with many in the HD lineup costing more.

At least the Ducati rider is getting something unique that offers performance. It is comical here in LA. Everyone rides a Harley. They are such expressions of individuality. Why I feel positively ruggedly individualistic on my TL1000...
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 06:03 AM   #5
fastducatirider
Founding Member

How come the title of the story is "Ducati 999S track test", and then upon reading the story, it seems as though you only tested the regular 999. Am I missing something? If I remember correctly the difference between the standard and S models is about 10-15 hp, ohlins vs showa suspension, and about $5k. Not that it's a huge deal, but I've already read a bunch of reviews of the standard model, and was looking forward to a review of the S, and your title is a little misleading.

fastducatirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 06:05 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Passionless

As MOs resident spearcatcher KPaul-san ladels up more chum in the waters for devotees of H-D and Ducati, I pause, flamethrower in hand, look out the window and notice it's another 80 degree day in San Diego.

I think I'll fire up my overhyped, overrated Ducati ST4 and ride about 300 miles today.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

You've been spared this time KPaul-san.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:00 AM   #7
DucButt
Founding Member

Default I take that as a compliment, KPaul.

DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:47 AM   #8
dlinder
Founding Member

Did I read correctly? The 999 was *3 seconds* off the pace of the RC51 and the Mille R? Frankly, that SUCKS.

I know you guys hate it, but when you're talking like a 70% premium over the RC51, you have to think price/performance. And don't give me anything about the history or whatever, the RC51 has a more storied racing history than any brand new model. If you just need 'Italianess' and the Honda doesn't do it for you, then why not go Mille R (if you insist on spending the extra dosh)?

If all you are is a fashion victim and the Honda or Aprilia are both too pedestrian for you. Go Benelli or Augusta or something. I think we can all agree that those bikes are both more exclusive and MUCH better looking than the 999.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I just can't understand the sales pitch...

Why own this thing?
dlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:05 AM   #9
Z3Coupe
Founding Member

Default 916/996/998 vs 999 Debate...

To me, comparing the 916 series bikes with new 999 series is very similar to comparing the 355 series Ferrari to the new 360 series...

In my eyes, both older series (916 and 355) have both passion and performance, the styling is both artful and aerodynamic, and there is just something *RIGHT* about both designs.

The newer 999 and 360 series are improvements in nearly every category as compared to the predecessors - lighter, more powerful, more aerodynamic, etc. But to me, both updated designs lack something design-wise as compared to the older iterations. To me, they've lost the passion.

Anyone else notice this similarity?
Z3Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:26 AM   #10
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: 916/996/998 vs 999 Debate...

@#%*&! CAD programs ...
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote