Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-18-2002, 06:18 AM   #41
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Passionless

Couple of years back when I took the new racers' school at WSMC (on the Willow Big Track) the lead instructor (don't remember his name) rode an old Honda Ascot that could pass at least half of our class (most on 600 - 1000 sport bikes) -- even though most of us had 40+ mph on him in the fast parts of the track!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2002, 06:48 AM   #42
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

Besides, the tester from Motorcycle Daily was running 1:30.7's...
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:20 AM   #43
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Some things never change.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:26 AM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

I guess these days the only guy who isn't a poseur is riding a Honda XL250 with a milk crate strapped on the back.

I work with that guy! Except that it's an 80 BMW R100 airhead, with said milk crate. The rusty pipes and gouges in the paint only add flavor to the experience.....

There is always something good to be said about riding ratbikes.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:27 AM   #45
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I never met an XR or XL that I didn't like for one reason or another. If only they would make an XL 400 based on the XR 400 (I know Baja Designs makes a great dual sport kit) but a cheap readily available XL 400 with a slightly shorter suspension would be the ultimate beginner bike.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:31 AM   #46
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I am 100% positive that I can humiliate YOU on an R-1, with my SV-650. Unless you are thinking of dragracing.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:34 AM   #47
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 999S Track Test

We apologize. It was a mistake in the posting of the article and will be fixed today. We know that it isn't an "S" model, it appears that the person who posted it was slightly confused by a related press release.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:40 AM   #48
seruzawa
The Toad

Why does it matter so much to you? I mean, does it impact your life that much when some guy runs out and buys a Harley or a Duck just 'cause he likes it? Does it ruin your day? Why do people like you even care so much what other riders ride, or why they ride?

Do you stand in your darkened living room and try to peer in your neighbors' houses with binoculars also?

Find new hobbies. You are far too concerned with what other people do with their money. Or is degrading others the mechanism by which you justify your miserable existence?

No matter how bad you make others look, it won't make you look one bit better.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:58 AM   #49
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Here here

Great comment. I've never understood the anger generated by those who disapprove of one's purchase of a specific brand, namely H-D and Ducati.

Come on' boys. 1000cc sportbikes (GSXR, R1, etc.) are total overkill for the street and can only be ridden properly by those with expert skills.

It is trendy to own one though, isn't it?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:04 AM   #50
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Chasing Thumpers

I too have experienced chasing thumpers through the twisties. It is amazing to watch, humbling to all riding in their wake and reinforces the axiom that rider skill trumps machine.

In August I attended one of Larry Grodsky's "Stayin' Safe" motorcycle tours in SE OH. One of the "students" on the tour had been riding 15 years, was an MSF instructor and rode a KLR 650. I have far less riding experience and living in Chicago, do not have access to the kind of twisites we were riding (KLR guy lived in VA).

Bottom line, my SV 650 and I chased that KLR all flippin' weekend. I consciously reminded myself to "ride my own ride" and to not ride over my head trying to catch up. He was just a better rider and his pace proved it. Actually, I found it kind of inspiring...I kept telling myself that if he could ride that fast and smooth on his KLR, that someday I too could ride like that if I continue to work on developing my riding skills.

In the meantime, I am where I am, and I can only focus on getting better every time I ride.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote