Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-17-2002, 10:40 AM   #21
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: Passionless

I got stuck behind such a fellow today on the Angeles Crest. On a new Ducati, trick carbon cans under the seat, beautiful leathers, etc. etc.

I try to be polite when overtaking a slower rider, but this guy was clueless, so I passed him on the inside with about 20 mph in hand through a corner. He was that 'effin slow.

Stupid I know, but oh so satisfying...
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2002, 11:15 AM   #22
Black_Adder
Founding Member

AMEN! No one can tell me, other than Bayliss and Edwards, that they need THIS machine to make a bike do the the things they want it to. Why? Because there are many other bikes out there that can be manipulated and wrangled to do the exact same thing by us normal street-riding folk for $6-$10K LESS money.

Ducati is over-trendified. The wannabees and rookies need to wake up and smell the coffee unless they don't mind having their wallets raped. If you have allowed yourself to be duped and hypnotized and must have that overhyped and so-called Ducati mystique, then you deserve to have your cash taken from you.

Oh, you want to be unique by having a 999? Yawn. Unless you can ride it to its full potential, by overspending for such a machine you are merely a poser. Buy an MV or a Bennelli if you must have something rare and/or special.

Ducs are becoming like bungholes, everyone has one.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:22 AM   #23
Black_Adder
Founding Member

Default Re: Plexiglass fairing

I hear Dennis Kirk is selling what they call a Uni-Fairing specially designed for only Harley Road Kings and Ducati 999s. I guess it looks like the ones on your local H-D police bikes and really works great! Keeps the rock chips and bug splats off that $18K sportbike paint job.

I also hear Dennis Kirk is selling outriggers for the 999...so that if you ride it in any other fashion than a straight line and accidentally tip over, the outriggers will be there to save you from thousands of dollars in replacement parts, higher ins premiums and loads of mental anguish.

Way to go Dennis Kirk!!
Old 11-17-2002, 01:22 PM   #24
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default aerodynamics

Anyone care to explain or clarify this for me?

"Three wind tunnels were used, and drag reduced from the 998's 0.298, to 0.295--a difference of one percent."

Both of those figures seem a little optomistic to me, considering they are lower than a lot of cars. A BMW 5-series has a cd of around .30 (http://aerodyn.org/Drag/tables.html) and bikes have notoriously bad aerodynamics with a cd of usually around .60 (the Tularis Project). Seems like if Ducati's numbers are correct, the new 999 should have a hellacious top speed (like above 200 mph) with its power-to-weight ratio. For comparison, take some the motorcycles that are widely regarded as being extremely "slippery:" the Hayabusa and the ZX-12R. The Hayabusa registers a cd of .561 and the ZX gets a .603 (Sport Rider).

The only thing I can think if is that Ducati is using a different unit to measure their drag to make it sound nifty and slick. Anyone want to clarify and make this all a bit more (eep!) scientific?
Old 11-17-2002, 01:43 PM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was just waiting for a friend to meet me so we could take off. It was about 10am when I wrote that.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 02:03 PM   #26
DucButt
Founding Member

I posted this a few days ago on another thread, but it seems more relevant here.

Come on, blokes - you disregard the "pride of ownership" factor that goes into any purchasing decision. I ride much faster/harder on my SV650 than on my Duc - that's why I got the SV - because I don't worry about trashing it. Pride of ownership for the SV is based solely on fun factor, whereas pride of ownership for the Duc goes into history, pedigree, uniqueness, sound, looks, handling - a different sort of fun - but I baby the thing. Does that make me a poseur on the Duc? Whatever... Our logic makes perfect sense to us - but it doesn't have to make sense to everyone, and that doesn't make everyone else wrong. So go ahead and smirk as you pass my Duc on your R1 - next week I'll come back and humiliate you on the SV650. Either way, I'm having just as much fun.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 02:14 PM   #27
99R6
Founding Member

That was a stupid comment
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 02:22 PM   #28
99R6
Founding Member

You think u can humiliate a person on an R1 with a sv650.... that guy on the R1 had better be a one legged midget with three fingers and carpel tunnel syndrome and drunk.
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 02:57 PM   #29
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati 999S Track Test

All new products, including the finest automobiles, have issues despite the best efforts of the manufacturer. Automobiles are developed with huge budgets that are amortized over large multi-year production runs. Motorcycle manufacturers usually do not enjoy the same scale. I'm not defending the motorcycle industry, but business decisions dictate what you see on the showroom floor, not meticulous engineers.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 03:11 PM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Let's face it, there are poseurs on all brands. I sold plenty of R1s and GSXR1000s to squids who had little or no riding skills. They immediately spent extra cash customizing them and buy all the gear. Then they thought that if they hauled ass in a straight line there were heroes. Many of them ended up wadded and back in the dealership looking for another one.

Yeah I agree the Harley dorks have ruined it for those of us who enjoy Harleys without the headbands (my new group maybe!) and my choice for a Ducati is an ST4 with hardbags rather than the race ready 916/999.

I guess these days the only guy who isn't a poseur is riding a Honda XL250 with a milk crate strapped on the back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote