Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-17-2002, 09:38 AM   #11
grubz916
Registered Member

Default Re: Passionless

Well said KPaul. Ducati's marketing mavens have been hard at work slapping their firm's name onto anything that has even a remote possibility of attracting some idiot who bought his duck as a fashionable accessory, possibly to match his Ducati Corse paddock jacket. If someone thinks I'm full of it, take a half-hour and peruse through some of these owners on the ducati website. All those who find it disturbing that some middle-aged lawyer with zero riding experience takes his bonus and buys a top line Harley to become nothing other than a rolling liability will find the same from the ducati camp.

I know I appear hypocritical owning a 916 myself (bought from a wrecker for its price alone). However, I don't base my existence around what bike I own and I won't waste time trying to convince anyone why its better than anything else because all opinions are subjective.

BTW, I find hysterical that the same people who relentlessly rag on Sturgis-goers are the same ones are the same ones making the holy pilgrimage to Italy for WDW. What a crock!!!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2002, 09:51 AM   #12
saddlebag
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati 999S Track Test

Ahh, I believe the Honda of which you compare would be this one?

"until our friend Bruce Kusada bought a new RC51 and proceeded directly to Dan Kyle Racing, checkbook in hand -- later emerging with Ohlins fork and shock, Sato ti exhausts and rearsets, Power Commander ignition, and even a very natty pair of BlackStone Tek carbon-fiber wheels (which is fair enough since the "R" Mille comes with lighweight OZ wheels). I think we can safely say Bruce has blown right past the Mille R's $17,695 sticker and right up the slip road with his Honda."

I'm guessing with pipes and a decent FI map the Duc will be right there with the other two. All for roughly the same cash outlay.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:56 AM   #13
danch
Founding Member

"80 degree day in San Diego."

You bastard!

Jealous in Milwaukee (~33 F)
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:59 AM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>*3 seconds* off the pace of the RC51 and the Mille R? .... you're talking like a 70% premium over the RC51<<

I also am disappointed with the apparent performance deficit -- however in fairness, the RC51 was highly tweaked and its cost (which was not specified) was likely well beyond that of the 999.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:59 AM   #15
danch
Founding Member

That really is a fantastic complement to Ducati Motor Holdings, Inc. As a business, you want the ability to charge more for your product even though you don't really spend that much more developing and building it. If the Ducati brand allows that, good for them as a business.

But I'd still rather have a Benelli!
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:15 AM   #16
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree comparison to the RC51, but as the price of the 999 is already close to that of the Mille R, I fail to see how the 999 will compete without blowing well past the R's cash outlay.

Based on KPaul's infamous "price/performance" ratio the 999 doesn't quite match up to the Mille R. If it looked as good as the 916-series, I might make allowences, or it it came equipped with Bree as a pillion accessory.....

The 999 styling is growing on me, and it does look better in person, but next to the old style, it still comes up 2nd best. Since the Mille R beats it in performance, and (at least in Solid Color) looks as good, I think that is where I would spend my $$ if I were in the market for an $18k sportbike.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:17 AM   #17
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default @#%*&! CAD programs

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head!
Old 11-17-2002, 10:21 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

Have to agree with you there Kpaul-san, Ducatisti seem to be separating into two camps, the one's who love Ducati as a bike and ride 'em, and the regalia-clad comando's trying to look eye-tye. I don't see how MO can say this one is 3 seconds slower than the rc51 or aprilia, when they were both chipped and canned, and this is supposedly stock, Personnaly I'd get a 900 monster anyway if I got Duc-fever so it's a moot point for me. I've heard the Ducati-as-Harley-of-europe analogy before, seems to be close too it. I hate to see the trendy crowd move into sportbike territory, after what they did for Harley prices.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:25 AM   #19
sarnali
Founding Member

Really! it's been 45 and raining here, what are you doing inside in 80's
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 11:13 AM   #20
itchface
Founding Member

I agree with you on the heat issue. Why is it that when Mercedes or BMW (or just about any other high-end car manufacturer) discovers flaws on their prototypes (such as wind noise, tire noise, torque steer, et al), they generally refuse to bring it to market until the gremlins are exorcised?

Motorcycle manufacturers either don't care or are collectively suffering from Cranial Calcification when buttoning up the details on their new machines. To wit:

1. the engine heat discussed herein which can seriously detract from the enjoyment of a ride on a sunny day (Ducati 999S, Triumph 955i, etc),

2. excessive vibration which is equally grating (CBR600F4i, M-G 1100 Sport, etc),

3. windscreens that create deafening and irritating noise and turbulence right at the rider's helmet level (BMW R1150RS, V-Strom, etc)

4. service intervals that are so short that it discourages casual rides beyond around the neighborhood (any Ducati, ZR-7S, etc),

Besides these maladies, several bikes are afflicted with ailments such as insufficient fuel ranges, seats that could be used to crush diamonds, short amount of legroom totally out of proportion with long handlebar reach, useless mirrors, useless horns, useless passenger accomodations (understandable on hard-core sportbikes, but not so on everything else), and the like.

It's so bad that choosing a new bike is sometimes based on which machine has the fewest fatal foibles instead of which bike is best designed for the buyer's needs.

Why don't motorcycle manufacturers hire away some of the more meticulous engineers from the car world to help them sort out their bikes?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote