Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-11-2002, 01:04 PM   #61
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks for setting the record straight i.e Kawasaki also has an inline 4

Of course, given the Kwacker's performance to date, I wouldn't cite that as the prime example of the future of the inline-4 in racing

Seriously, though, I think it does have a lot of potential. And, my money is on the Yamaha M1 to be the bike to beat next year.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2002, 01:40 PM   #62
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Looks like the RC51 WON"T participate in WSB for 2003

This was recently posted on the roadracingworld.com site:

"According to MSMA (Motorcycle Sports Manufacturers Association) Secretary Takanao Tsubouchi, ... 2003 will be a transitional year with no Japanese factory or semi-factory teams in the series."

Copyright 2002, Roadracing World Publishing Inc.

Old 11-11-2002, 03:40 PM   #63
99R6
Founding Member

Default Re: awwwww,

lol... he is an angry little man...
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 04:59 PM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Why the RC51 looks have not been updated, an opinion

I wouldn't be surprised if the RC51 hangs around the dealerships for a few more years. Look at all the manufacturers that still sell older models:

Suzuki- Katana, Bandit

Kawasaki - ZR7, EX500, EX250

Yamaha - YZF600

Honda - Superhawk 996 (hmm, where did they get that moniker from?) Nighthawk

Ducati still spins off models from the old Pantah twins.

Do I need to mention that Harley has been selling "old bikes" for almost 100 years?

The Honda V-Twin is too good of a motor to just let disappear and the tooling is already paid for. Motorcycles don't take up much space. Honda could eventually sell it for even less as the costs amortize over time. That would leave them available for us V twin fans to get one at a great price.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:56 PM   #65
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Too bad about the TL1000R

A friend of mine who photographs auto racing, just gave me a picture he took of TL1000R sitting on the deck of ferry in the morning light. It sure is a nice photo. Too bad the TL1000R never caught on. Pretty bike.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:18 PM   #66
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: Reports of Twins' Death are highly exaggerated!

Oops, sorry, meant to include the Kwacka.

Due to the different characters, there will always be a market for different engine configurations.

Long live diversity!
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:06 PM   #67
Smooove
Founding Member

Default Yamaha M1 the best?

rsheidler says

"Seriously, though, I think it does have a lot of potential. And, my money is on the Yamaha M1 to be the bike to beat next year."

Does anyone else wonder why on earth Max Biaggi won't stop crying till he gets his ass on a factory backed Honda? I don't dispute that he has talent. But he seems to harbour some sort of inferiority complex. It is his attitude to racing that tarnishes his name.

Thoughts?
Smooove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:28 AM   #68
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha M1 the best?

Max has a reputation of being difficult -- I am sure that is the reason why Yamaha let him, rather than Checa, get away. I also heard that early on, Ducati had been looking at both Max and Checa for their GP bike, but really didn't want Max because of his attitude.

My impression is that Max is the kind of rider who needs to have the setup and everything else about the bike exactly to his liking in order to do well. I suspect that is a lot of why it took him so long to get comfortable on the M1 this season. By contrast, Barros seems to be able to just jump on and ride the thing to its potential right out of the box.

It is interesting that in the testing at Valencia last week, Barros was almost immediately as fast on the M1 (Biaggi's race bike) as on his RCV, while Max (on Alex's old race bike) was slower.

I read that the Pons/Pramac Honda team will get the latest factory goodies ONLY if/when they show results (ie podium finishes) -- will be interesting to see how Biaggi reacts to being on the second string Honda team.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:37 AM   #69
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Long Live DIversity

Along that line, have you seen the reports (eg at roadracingworld.com and others) that WCM may enter a NCR "Ducati" -- with titanium crankcases and lots of other ti parts, with weight expected at the minimum -- 135 kilos?

Looks like we could have a whole bunch of different engine configurations next year -- V5, V4 (both twin-pulse and conventional), inline 4, triple, and V-twin. Plus, rumored Honda V6 (probably not in 2003, though).
Old 11-13-2002, 08:13 PM   #70
Smooove
Founding Member

Default Re: Too bad about the TL1000R

Hell yeah... I'll second that. I just bought a 2001 model with 5500 km's on the clock and I love it to death!

What is wrong with consumers? Someone tell me.
Smooove is offline   Reply With Quote