Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-08-2002, 12:17 PM   #31
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Reports of Twins' Death are highly exaggerated!

>>It is a bit sad about the twins. I just bought an '01 TLR and I love everything about it.<<

Contrary to KPauls's opinion, the death of the V-twin is far from iminent. We MAY be nearing the end of the era where that configuration totally dominates WSB racing, but the factors that make your TLR great do not become invalid just because of a change in Superbike rules.

Every year, there are newly introduced standard and sportbikes with V-twin powerplants, most with no thought towards Superbike racing, nor or of being Harley clones. The bikes are as divergent as Monster 620s and SV650s to Beulls to Guzzis to Mille Rs and 999s to KTMs to Vincent Black Shadows. They chose this configuration because the market appreciates the same qualities that you enjoy in your TLR.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2002, 12:18 PM   #32
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Thrillo at Willow Reader Feedback

RC was even geared shorter than stock.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:46 PM   #33
rsheidler
Founding Member

Have you ever ridden Willow Springs? Its reputation as "the Fastest Track in the West" is well deserved. I can't imagine that you would want lower than stock gearing for this track.

From the article, it seems pretty clear that the RC51 lost out on handling more than speed.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:51 PM   #34
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Maybe if it was a solid color?

Yeah, I have seen a couple of racebikes in solid colors, and even with the sponsor decals etc they looked great. I think if I were to buy one, the first stop would be a paint shop (hey, if I can afford an $18k bike, what's a few bucks more to keep people from laughing at me!)
Old 11-08-2002, 01:04 PM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default E-Glide mods

Hry Buz, Cycle World has a magazine this month called Power & Performance on the newsstands. They have what you are looking for in a hop-up for the Glide. All Harleys in this mag and lots of mods for different models and price ranges. Definitely worth a read for you since I know you are gonna do yours. After seeing the dyno chart and price, I am thinking of doing mine soon also. Tell KPaul hi for me when you get a chance, will ya?
Old 11-08-2002, 01:55 PM   #36
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: E-Glide mods

That version of the mag came out a while ago. This must be the Twin Cam version because I think the last one was about Evos.

I think in the beginning I'm just going to do the aircleaner and touring mufflers to pump up the flow a bit.

If I "go large" I'll have to to the whole thing with heads and the works and I'm not prepared to spend that kind of cash at the moment. I can always haul ass on the Duc if I need to.

You can ping me at buzzwaloch@netscape.net and I can give you the info about the modified intake manifold that according to my wrench works great on even mostly stock bikes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:24 PM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

It says right in the article that enough was spent on the RC51 to blow right past the sticker price of the Mille. Guess the Honda lost, period.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:25 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Wait, scratch what I just posted. I misread what you posted in the first place. Sorry.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:26 PM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

D****t, seruzawa. Did you forget your medication again?
Old 11-08-2002, 03:43 PM   #40
micro
Founding Member

Default Re: Nice story about two obsolete bikes.

I agree with you the twins have a weight problem.But I think the best is yet to come with companies like ktm working on the weight problem, and making the motors smaller.Other companys will ultimatly copy some of the stuff, with their own twist of course resulting in even better performing twins than the fast but obsolete ones they sell today.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote